Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Hello Cilph! I downloaded your mod a few days ago and was absolutely blown away! The UI is really nice, it is well integrated with the stock game, and it is beyond cool to have to set up an infrastructure. Keep up the good work!

By the way guys, I'm always struggling at the beginning because I don't want to send Kerbals in space too soon, but setting a communication network without a command vessel is extremely hard ^^ (On Earth we had several relays on the surface, which made things way easier.) How do you manage to set your very first network ? ^^ I always end up sending a command vessel far away.

By the way guys, I'm always struggling at the beginning because I don't want to send Kerbals in space too soon, but setting a communication network without a command vessel is extremely hard ^^ (On Earth we had several relays on the surface, which made things way easier.) How do you manage to set your very first network ? ^^ I always end up sending a command vessel far away.

Throw a pile of omni sats into geostationary orbit (2868.75 km). I use six or seven. Space the out a bit but don't worry about perfect symmetry as they will all drift. Then for interplanetary stuff I put a larger dish into a high polar orbit (2000km, large dish set to active vessel). Such as system will give you 99% uptime.

For the time being You'll have to plan your assent profile with signal connection in mind. If you use the dipole antenna you'll be able to maintain a connection within the atmosphere. Whenever Cilph releases the flight computer you can go for the CAPFlyer method. A while back I made a small tutorial on the method. The tutorial was made using the old RT1 plugin and flight computer, so how you input the heading and timed burn will be slightly different, but the method itself will still work.

You can view the tutorial

Of course, the easiest way to deploy a rudimentary relay network early on is to launch a manned payload vehicle.

Actually, if you guys are setting up your first satellite network. I have a good starting network for you.

It takes a little patience to set up initially... But start a satellite with the 500 km Omni, and the Commutron 16. The 16 acts as an extended range Omni-antenna.

It did some calcs based on my math from the previous page, and I found that to cover 1200 km diameter are of Kerbin, the lowest altitude to pull that off would be at 742 (rounded up) kilometers altitude.

At this altitude, even if the satellites were somehow able to communicate directly through kerbin, their maximum distance would be 2,684 km apart.

To put your constellation up, requires setting up a good rocket, and being patient. Series launch a rocket, put it in parking orbit at 120 km, and deploy/activate all antennae and solar panels. Then move on and repeat that until you have nine in LKO parking orbits. Then wait for the next available operations window with KSC, take one of your sats up to the 742 km operations orbit. Remain patient as you may require a few link-passes before you can do a circularizing burn. Once the first sat is in position, you'll quickly find that placing additional sats in orbit quickly starts to get easier. Once four are in position at the cardinal directions, coverage should be complete. The additional five are for overlapping sight fields and backup sats.

Here's an image of my array.

SpikeSatArray_zps9a50f8c1.jpg

They don't see the poles too well, but a couple scansats on polar orbits can communicate juuuuust fine.

Well, I've been a fan of RT for a long time now, and when it got updated to allow time delay, I turned it on (with KSP scale light speed to boot), yet my only gripe with that is that it shows local control, and doesn't tell you the delay you got, if any. Is it possible that can be shown by clicking something, instead of leaving the ship that has a SPU on it just to see the delay.

Well, I've been a fan of RT for a long time now, and when it got updated to allow time delay, I turned it on (with KSP scale light speed to boot), yet my only gripe with that is that it shows local control, and doesn't tell you the delay you got, if any. Is it possible that can be shown by clicking something, instead of leaving the ship that has a SPU on it just to see the delay.

I'll add a mouse-over, but I'd prefer if you and everyone else, used this bugtracker.

For the time being You'll have to plan your assent profile with signal connection in mind. If you use the dipole antenna you'll be able to maintain a connection within the atmosphere. Whenever Cilph releases the flight computer you can go for the CAPFlyer method. A while back I made a small tutorial on the method. The tutorial was made using the old RT1 plugin and flight computer, so how you input the heading and timed burn will be slightly different, but the method itself will still work.

You can view the tutorial

Of course, the easiest way to deploy a rudimentary relay network early on is to launch a manned payload vehicle.

The Cilph method is flying straight up and circularizing that way. But yes, once I release the flight computer you can do it by pre-planning nodes and burns. I've been distracted this weekend but I'm planning on releasing it together with kOS integration end of this week at the earliest. I've got kOS flight steering fixed so that it works when disconnected, terminal input no longer fires action groups, and I have the copy command modified to include delay. I just need to go over all of the commands now and polish it up :).

EDIT: It's not allowing me to delete and merge posts :(.

I've been a big fan of RT for the longest time, and I'm super excited to have it with .22, but I have a bit of a big problem. I have one of the bigger dishes, and it seems that it can not communicate with any ships that travel outside of Kerbins SOI. I've tested it within Kerbin, and when set correctly they can beam a signal to each other. The problem happens when I send one on a mission outside of Kerbin. I set a transmit sat to beam to it, and it to beam back to kerbin, but as soon as it leaves the SOI its dead.

Can we please start using the bug tracker and uploading KSP_Data/output_log.txt plus persistence.sfs file WITHOUT me having to ask. Thank you?

Anyhow, there should be no place where I am checking what SoI a satellite is in, the problem must be unrelated to the SoI.

Edited by Cilph

I'd check the power consumption on the dish first. Even the small dish chews on a decent amount of power. A big dish is going to go hog-wild. Could be that by the time he gets out of Kerbin's sphere, the vessel's run dry.

Also, what would be your thoughts on making the dishes have a default target of Kerbin? Just to help eliminate a minor issue of error between probe and chair.

Nice to hear ! Really looking forward to see your update. :)

For the first network, actually if the flight computer could work under signal loss, it would be way easier than always having to burn above KSC, so the JDP method would work. :D Right now I am trying without this feature and I managed to send a bunch of garbage in LKO temporarily to help put a satellite in KSO over KSC. When you got one there, the rest of the network is easier to set up. I'll just have to deorbit the small LKO satellites. So I was already doing the AdmiralTigerclaw way, basically.

I've been distracted this weekend but I'm planning on releasing it together with kOS integration end of this week at the earliest. I've got kOS flight steering fixed so that it works when disconnected, terminal input no longer fires action groups, and I have the copy command modified to include delay. I just need to go over all of the commands now and polish it up .

Nice to hear ! Really looking forward to see your update. :)

For the first network, actually if the flight computer could work under signal loss, it would be way easier than always having to burn above KSC, so the JDP method would work. :D Right now I am trying without this feature and I managed to send a bunch of garbage in LKO temporarily to help put a satellite in KSO over KSC. When you got one there, the rest of the network is easier to set up. I'll just have to deorbit the small LKO satellites. So I was already doing the AdmiralTigerclaw way, basically.

I am looking for new mods to play with and have heard lots of good things about Remote tech. Wondering what the status truly is.

Other mod friendly: I run Mechjeb, kethan, kw and nova, hyperdit, any mod with good wheels, b9, firespitter, and extraplanetary launch

Install friendly: What level of crow bar do I need to get ready for installing it

Career friendly: Is it carreer mode compatible??

Alacrity

I am looking for new mods to play with and have heard lots of good things about Remote tech. Wondering what the status truly is.

Other mod friendly: I run Mechjeb, kethan, kw and nova, hyperdit, any mod with good wheels, b9, firespitter, and extraplanetary launch

Install friendly: What level of crow bar do I need to get ready for installing it

Career friendly: Is it carreer mode compatible??

Alacrity

Other mod: as far as I know, only MechJeb could have problems in the list you mentioned, but they are not very intrusive and will soon be fixed. The only mod which has big issues for now is kOS.

Install friendly: drop a directory in another, as simple as that, every KSP mod has this install method now

Career friendly: parts have been included to the tech tree so it is.

Really love this newest addition to my gamedata folder! :D

Fine tuning orbits for satellites is driving me nuts, but at least they have a real purpose now!

Some questions though:

Did anyone else had the cone indicator lines in map view vanish?

Regardless which buttons in the UI I de/activated, the cones did not come back.

Only noticed it half an hour before I went to bed and did not want to restart the game once more.

Also, is the window that shows all available antennas on the active vessel supposed to be stuck in the lower right corner of the screen?

And, is there a way to assign antennas on every vessel from map view or the space center without loading/flying each and every vessel in turn?

Regarding all the icons in the lower right corner of the screen...

Is it possible to include a readme.txt with the next iteration/installation that includes the mod description in the file and also supplies an explaination of what each of the toggle options do to prep new users?

Did anyone else had the cone indicator lines in map view vanish?

Regardless which buttons in the UI I de/activated, the cones did not come back.

Only noticed it half an hour before I went to bed and did not want to restart the game once more.

we had cone indicator lines? As in, things that show us how wide our cones are? Or just those orange lines between vessels?

if the latter, they stay on the map for me, the former never showed up so I'm not even sure if they exist (guess I'm reading you wrong? idk)

No, I am sure there have been cone indicator lines in map view.

What does the the second button from the left - the globe - do for you?

That's definitely what that button does. Though, cones only show when targeting planets.

Why do my connections "blink" on and off?

I've setup my geosats around kerbin with the giant dish, and I sent a ship out to Jool. I pointed one of the geosync dishes at "jool" and on my Jool ship pointed to "kerbin". I get a "green line" in the map view for a few sec, but then it goes grey for a few sec, then it goes back to green. and continues like this forever. I then tried to detach my probe (only an omni on it, which I extended first). It goes in and out "blinking" like the others. So I can control it for 2 sec at a time.

What could be going on here??