Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Why do my connections "blink" on and off?

I've setup my geosats around kerbin with the giant dish, and I sent a ship out to Jool. I pointed one of the geosync dishes at "jool" and on my Jool ship pointed to "kerbin". I get a "green line" in the map view for a few sec, but then it goes grey for a few sec, then it goes back to green. and continues like this forever. I then tried to detach my probe (only an omni on it, which I extended first). It goes in and out "blinking" like the others. So I can control it for 2 sec at a time.

What could be going on here??

Known issue: https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues/122

I have no idea what is causing it yet or if it is even a bug and not user error. Looking at it after I do kOS.

Just read the Github issue on that.

Maybe it has something to do with how the math is being processed for the dish at long ranges. I don't know what the cone calculation looks like, but such a 'reliable' outage sequence seems almost like the math is cycling through something sinusoidal. And via rounding error or some other mechanic, the range limits of the 'sin function' break the connection.

But that's just a wild shot in the dark since I have no idea how the code even works.

For all we know, it could be that the physics engine for KSP has a built in function when it's under strain that makes it sideline mod coding. And the mod is interpreting that priority shuffle as a dish not reading as connected.

Or for all we know, a rounding error that's cropping up somewhere momentarily makes the dishes think they're WAY out of range of each other.

I lack the tools to even begin to look.

...For all we know, it could be that the physics engine for KSP has a built in function when it's under strain that makes it sideline mod coding. And the mod is interpreting that priority shuffle as a dish not reading as connected.

Or for all we know, a rounding error that's cropping up somewhere momentarily makes the dishes think they're WAY out of range of each other.

It's the kraken, flying back and forth (or swinging on a space swing) blocking the signal...must be it..because I just read it onn teh inetz....after I typed it. ;)

Just read the Github issue on that.

Maybe it has something to do with how the math is being processed for the dish at long ranges. I don't know what the cone calculation looks like, but such a 'reliable' outage sequence seems almost like the math is cycling through something sinusoidal. And via rounding error or some other mechanic, the range limits of the 'sin function' break the connection.

But that's just a wild shot in the dark since I have no idea how the code even works.

For all we know, it could be that the physics engine for KSP has a built in function when it's under strain that makes it sideline mod coding. And the mod is interpreting that priority shuffle as a dish not reading as connected.

Possibly. I noticed it was the only place where I still used single precision. Although the angle calculation was always in double precision. Fixed it and maybe it'll solve the issue.

i've noticed a bit of an issue as well. my staging seems to have been killed before launch, and parts of my hud are not properly displayed

mods are as follows:

Mechjeb 2.10

Interstellar 1.7.4

KAS 4.4

Procedual Fairings

Remotetech 2

I have encountered this problem. The cause was a missing IVA for a command pod that had one specified. Check for that, maybe Interstellar has a cfg typo.

i've noticed a bit of an issue as well. my staging seems to have been killed before launch, and parts of my hud are not properly displayed

mods are as follows:

Mechjeb 2.10

Interstellar 1.7.4

KAS 4.4

Procedual Fairings

Remotetech 2

...but I'd prefer if you and everyone else, used this bugtracker....

+ KSP_Data/output_log.txt + persistence.sfs.

i removed KAS and everything started working as normal, so there is some incompatiblity there, i'll have to load it up in a secondary save to do the persistance file

If you can't produce a persistence file, just send me that KSP_Data/output_log.txt of a game session where the error occurred. I've had people send me irrelevant logs of vanilla KSP for no reason...

Landing a probe on a planet with atmosphere without a satellite in orbit to use as an uplink for the 500km omni-ant - only one that will survive flight in an atmosphere - would proof tricky, yes?

Yes, indeed. Flight computer will address that problem, though.

Ok so I found a bug. Last night RemoteTech was working fine. However, today, it isn't loading in career mode(though it still works in sandbox mode). I didn't add or change any mods at all. It just stopped worked. I have no idea what happened.

Ok so I found a bug. Last night RemoteTech was working fine. However, today, it isn't loading in career mode(though it still works in sandbox mode). I didn't add or change any mods at all. It just stopped worked. I have no idea what happened.

*bzzt* *beep*

To report a bug please follow these steps:

• Document what is going wrong;
  • Document what you expected to happen;
  • Copy your KSP_Data/output_log.txt;
  • Copy your persistence.sfs file describing the situation;
  • Post all of the above to https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/issues?state=open
  • Sign a contract promising me your first-born if the error is determined to be the user's fault.

You have received this automated response because you were unable to read basic instructions. Please refrain from triggering the automated response system any further.

The Cilph method is flying straight up and circularizing that way. But yes, once I release the flight computer you can do it by pre-planning nodes and burns. I've been distracted this weekend but I'm planning on releasing it together with kOS integration end of this week at the earliest. I've got kOS flight steering fixed so that it works when disconnected, terminal input no longer fires action groups, and I have the copy command modified to include delay. I just need to go over all of the commands now and polish it up :)..

:D

Just when I was getting use to ctrl+L and hoping it caught, and also setting time warp to 1 to avoid triggering action groups. :P LOL

Also, I managed to get some sats into geosync orbit right over KSC I think due to the burn not happening until it was in KSC line of sight. That or I was just lucky...err umm I mean I planned it like that on purpose...maybe? ;) Too bad it was just a test (or at least thats what I'm calling it, being as now that I look at it I want to add more dishes so my network can bounce around more while still staying connected with KSC, the relay sats, and active vessel.

If someone is up for writing proper documentation, let me know. People are whining "installation instructions aren't clear", or "my science stopped working!".

As the main dev and non-native speaker I just don't have the right point of view to write such a thing.

If someone is up for writing proper documentation, let me know. People are whining "installation instructions aren't clear", or "my science stopped working!".

As the main dev and non-native speaker I just don't have the right point of view to write such a thing.

Hey Cilph I may be able to help, are you wanting actual install instructions or rather instructions on how to get started with Satellites? I've had enough time with this version to setup interplanetary satellites already and have probably made most of the mistakes people here have (I.E. un-docking renaming a ship and losing connection etc). Let me know what you're looking for and I'll see if I can whip something up :) Really enjoy this mod, added a whole lot more factors to exploring space in career mode!

On a side note, my science did stop working, but i run several mods and am not sure which caused it. Science looked like it was being performed just fine over a great connection, however going back to mission control science there did not increment. I had to restart the campaign in a new game :(