[0.23] Crowd-sourced Science Logs: SCIENCE NEEDS YOU!

codepants

I've sent codepants a PM about this. My idea is to simply have a script compile the config file. It will not be edited by people, and users do not have to copy & paste the text themselves.

It also involves a better way to send in new science logs and a way to keep track of your submissions and an easier moderation system.

I'm just waiting to hear back from him, to see what he thinks of it.

I've sent codepants a PM about this. My idea is to simply have a script compile the config file. It will not be edited by people, and users do not have to copy & paste the text themselves.

It also involves a better way to send in new science logs and a way to keep track of your submissions and an easier moderation system.

That's exactly what he want, but someone have to write it.

You need someone to manage properly tested PERIODICAL releases. Just letting anyone edit releasecode, and then just pointing normal players at the live version of that code, does not work - and for this reason, not even most opensource projects do that. The current state of this project isn't anarchy - anarchy is order without governance - this project has no "order" and "structure".

Funny, it was working fine until recently. I admit I've been less than present lately but for the first few (five?) months we had it down pat. Anyways, as you may know, I'm accepting ideas to make it better. So don't whine, make a suggestion. Maybe things will change.

Replied. <3

Just posting here to indicate my interest, should anyone manage to make this something that adds, rather than replaces (MM sounds like a good bet). It sounds fascinating, and would really liven up the whole science collecting process.

This is in no way intended to be a 'go, now someone make this for me!' kind of thing, just some appreciation and enthusiasm :)

(And a quick edit because I've realised I can just swap this in now without affecting other things (I think), so I'm off to try it and see what happens :) )

Edited by A9p
new information

I can write it, shouldn't be too hard. Give me a few days and I should have a working prototype.

Do you have any progress?

Do you have any progress?

Certainly, bear with me, I've been a bit busier with work than I thought I would be, but it's coming along. I keep thinking about features to add, but I should just get the basics done first. Not a whole lot left to do on that, so shouldn't be too much longer.

Then I'll put it online somewhere, so you can see how it would work, and then I'm open to suggestions :P

Certainly, bear with me, I've been a bit busier with work than I thought I would be, but it's coming along. I keep thinking about features to add, but I should just get the basics done first. Not a whole lot left to do on that, so shouldn't be too much longer.

Then I'll put it online somewhere, so you can see how it would work, and then I'm open to suggestions :P

Ok, thx. I thought that you abandoned it

I am removing the ability to add comments. It used to be people would post only about typos, etc. Now 90% of the posts are rubbish and the other 5% are people trying to submit their logs through comments. You must submit your log through the form.

For the other 5% who are using comments the way they should be used, I am sorry. I just don't have the time to comb through all the other crap.

• 2 weeks later...

The ScienceDef.cfg file does not work in 0.24.2 for me...it breaks the science-gather sensors (thermometers, barometers, etc.).

Surprising, I thought for certain this would work...guess I'll need to wait for the update.

EDIT: Nevermind, bad download! (did seem kind of big at 2.3 mb). Keep up the great work, everyone!

Edited by Synthesis

Okay, i just downloaded the unmod version, and it looks like some ....... has taken out the id, basevalue, sciencecap etc. and left in only the actual logs, so this seems to cause the mod to break all your science machines so that you cant take any science

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having troubnle accessing the file? I can't tell you anything more specific, it just says 'There's an error with this file. Please reload.' Of course, the message appeara again when I reload. The error has been reported to Google.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone having the same logs over and over and over? even when it eventually varies the variations themselves are few, anyone know how to force ksp to actually randomly pick the logs?

i've checked the actual logs and found that it only ever picks the first line that matches the situation, never anything else, just goes for the first in line. this most likely is a ksp's fault but like i said, i wonder if anyone here (who are more likely to have found this problem) has a solution?

Edited by Poofer

anyone having the same logs over and over and over? even when it eventually varies the variations themselves are few, anyone know how to force ksp to actually randomly pick the logs?

i've checked the actual logs and found that it only ever picks the first line that matches the situation, never anything else, just goes for the first in line. this most likely is a ksp's fault but like i said, i wonder if anyone here (who are more likely to have found this problem) has a solution?

DaedalusYoung was working for a config to variate the logs, but he didn't comment since 29th July.