Riddles

vexx32

film, photos, film (as in the papery things you put in cameras), film (The cylinder ones), war movies, iPad? no, no, none of them makes sense.

Actually... haha, commercials! or infomercials?

Edited by CelticCossack51
lots and lots of brainstorming.

The brain?

A generator?

Knowledge?

Civilization?

Intelligence?

I need another hint...

- - - Updated - - -

Apple store?

Samsung store?

Phone/tablet store?

Kindle store?

Wifi device store?

Those "Don't pay until next year!" deals ? Nahh....

You said I was close early on. Could it be something to do with Dr. Who? The string of actors that played Dr. Who! Or a gadget on Dr who?

Bah! that's the last thing I can come up with. If that's not it I give up

Edited by StrandedonEarth

It's not any sort of holiday season, any sort of store, or anything to do with Doctor Who. Nor any of the others.

I'm about out of hints to give, and I'm not sure they help that much anyway, plus 7 is an auspicious number.

It wouldn't be the first time we've had to lay one aside. It's probably time to do so again, I'd say, judging by the befuddled looks being tossed around. :)

Whether or not you reveal the answer is up to you, though. :P

Edited by vexx32

It's closed to guesses now. The solution you were all looking for was a diary.

A digression into English language is needed. In British English the word refers to an item of stationery as well as a record of past events. A diary in the latter sense might well be written in one in the former sense. I believe in American English the former would be called a "planner" or something, and almost all the riddle refers to that sense of the word.

And I knew none of that until well after writing the riddle when I started to wonder.

Randazzo's guess of "calendar" was close, but I would take that as meaning a wall calendar not a desk or pocket diary.

With that out of the way, the explanation:

Stores of knowledge no-one may see - A diary, as in a personal record, is a very private thing.

Abutting spacetimes - Appointments, which have a place and a time.

; energy Is needed yet to make them real - You need to make an effort to make the appointments actually happen.

As the strings the present must feel. - Diaries usually have a ribbon that you place between the pages of the current day or week.

That present may elude our grasp When what's to come we spy in glass. - Towards the end of the year when the shops and their window displays are full of next year's diaries you'll have a hard time finding one for this year.

Week foll'wing week, day after day, - Usually either a day or a week per page.

A year or more to maybe stay. - Diaries usually last a year, but longer durations such as 18 months aren't uncommon.

I've not tried to make this easy - Filler. And clearly I made it too far the other way!

But I do hope it is not cheesy. - It's not the similarly-spelled "dairy".

It's closed to guesses now. The solution you were all looking for was a diary.

A digression into English language is needed. In British English the word refers to an item of stationery as well as a record of past events. A diary in the latter sense might well be written in one in the former sense. I believe in American English the former would be called a "planner" or something, and almost all the riddle refers to that sense of the word.

And I knew none of that until well after writing the riddle when I started to wonder.

Randazzo's guess of "calendar" was close, but I would take that as meaning a wall calendar not a desk or pocket diary.

With that out of the way, the explanation:

Stores of knowledge no-one may see - A diary, as in a personal record, is a very private thing.

Abutting spacetimes - Appointments, which have a place and a time.

; energy Is needed yet to make them real - You need to make an effort to make the appointments actually happen.

As the strings the present must feel. - Diaries usually have a ribbon that you place between the pages of the current day or week.

That present may elude our grasp When what's to come we spy in glass. - Towards the end of the year when the shops and their window displays are full of next year's diaries you'll have a hard time finding one for this year.

Week foll'wing week, day after day, - Usually either a day or a week per page.

A year or more to maybe stay. - Diaries usually last a year, but longer durations such as 18 months aren't uncommon.

I've not tried to make this easy - Filler. And clearly I made it too far the other way!

But I do hope it is not cheesy. - It's not the similarly-spelled "dairy".

Wow. I literally never would have thought of that. Oh well.

Dang. Did I really make it too tricky?

Well Randazzo can go next, he came by far closest. Solution and explanation when I'm on a real computer not my phone.

Oh.

Probably won't be considered common knowledge..but..hopefully it will be easy.

A village in the shadow of a mighty giant of fire,

once proud and host to kings; Brought low

by the dark spectre of death and allies ire.

Hint: The answer is on this page.

It's supposed to be easy. I'm no good at riddles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.