(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

You have done something I have yet to accomplish, and that is a huge deal, be VERY proud of yourself. Congrats!

Thank you, I should have missed word "just" in first sentence. It sounds like if it was easy for me, which it actually wasn't.

Jool-5 was only about planning for me. I mean checking Delta-V, TWR and similar things. If you plan everything well, there is huge chance that you will do it. Before this challenge I was never to Joolian system. And up to date, I have never visited Moho's SOI, Eve's SOI, Gilly or Eeloo. And never returned from Duna. For me, KSP is all about planning.

I am strange person... I know I would do it to Moho and back. But I won't do it, because I am so confident and sure about it, that I don't have to prove it. I simply KNOW I would do it. I have did Jool-5, because I wasn't sure if I will do it. I am strange person...

I am strange person... I know I would do it to Moho and back. But I won't do it, because I am so confident and sure about it, that I don't have to prove it. I simply KNOW I would do it. I have did Jool-5, because I wasn't sure if I will do it. I am strange person...

I am the same! Never visited Dres, Eleeo, Bop, or Pol, or returned from Vall, Tylo Laythe, or Moho. I just feel that it is beneath my skill to do.

P.S. I hope to knock a few of that list soon...

I know I would do it to Moho and back. But I won't do it, because I am so confident and sure about it, that I don't have to prove it. I simply KNOW I would do it. I have did Jool-5, because I wasn't sure if I will do it. I am strange person...

Then it's time to set up your Moho mission. You will be surprised. Good luck with the rescue mission(s)! ;)

I am very happy today. In my first Jool-5 project (which I never wrote up in the end) it took me seven attempts and a massive diversion of the mothership to land on Tylo. I was worried it would be as difficult, but this time around I managed it at the first attempt and my tug has plenty enough fuel to get the lander back to the mothership. Phew!

To continue the Moho tangent, I've not made it there yet except for a fly-by. I sent a probe ship early in my previous career, but instead of hitting its intercept, it ended up miles away. I suspect that was from warping through SoI boundaries.

Greetings to all!

I have a question about an specific mod: The Welding magic (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107273)

I don´t know if it generate any advantage more that less part count = les cpu load .___.) But is a dream made true for the Karbonite competition :D

The sequence is: Oversized incredible design with Lifesupport + FAR ´+ Deadly + ... => Slow ensambling in orbit => Game progresively slow => frustration => Delete u_u, (Yes. Do a small vehicle.... ;.;)

Ziv: best challenge ever :). Playing champaing and reserving Jool for "endgame" mision = soo good (personal life constrains killed this plan too so many times xD)

Ignium: Yes, of course that is a great advantage! When I started this challenge the orange tanks and mainsails were the biggest ones, there was no Science Lab to collect/reset scientific units, there were bigger wobbling in the code so the ship tore apart easily, and the game code was less optimized so you were limited at 250+ parts with a good PC, etc...

When I did this challenge I wanted it to be the hardest one (after a Grand Tour of course, which was imaginable but almost impossible that time), what only the best of the best can achieve. JOOL-5 became much more easier already with development of KSP, and I permitted some mods which helps too...

So I'm not happy about welding mods so basically I wouldn't allow it. But you can be an exception if your mission goes much beyond the basic goals! If it won't be too big/legendary then it can go into the Mixed Solution anyway! :)

Reserving JOOL-5 as the "endgame" mission sounds good and motivating! Good idea!! :cool:

Ignium: Yes, of course that is a great advantage! When I started this challenge the orange tanks and mainsails were the biggest ones, there was no Science Lab to collect/reset scientific units, there were bigger wobbling in the code so the ship tore apart easily, and the game code was less optimized so you were limited at 250+ parts with a good PC, etc...

When I did this challenge I wanted it to be the hardest one (after a Grand Tour of course, which was imaginable but almost impossible that time), what only the best of the best can achieve. JOOL-5 became much more easier already with development of KSP, and I permitted some mods which helps too...

So I'm not happy about welding mods so basically I wouldn't allow it. But you can be an exception if your mission goes much beyond the basic goals! If it won't be too big/legendary then it can go into the Mixed Solution anyway! :)

Reserving JOOL-5 as the "endgame" mission sounds good and motivating! Good idea!! :cool:

Regarding the wobble, my craft would be one of those not possible under 'old KSP' wobble situations. Mind you, the stock craft that were needed at the time probably would not launch using FAR and would burn up using DRE.

To offset the easiness of recent versions I did my mission with FAR (have to launch aerodynamic rockets) , DRE (can burn up on re-entry), Kerbalmass (adds mass of kerbal crew to pods), persistentrotation (keeps rotation when warping on rails, no more free rotation cancelling) and saturatable reaction wheels (no more infinite reaction wheel torque), all of which add their own challenges.

I've completed the rerun of my Jool 5 mission with 4.5T extra useless mass attached to the HAB unit to offset the two ALCOR pods to be absolutely within the rules as stated so far. I also carried three more landers and an extra kerbal to qualify for level 3 by landing a unique lander on each moon with 5 different kerbals (and a spare one just trained for the main craft)

Here is a load of images, they are currently uploading so might not be complete if you view within minutes of this being posted. The mission report is exactly the same as the last one...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT : Some of the early images appear to be out of order...

Edited by John FX

This is my entry for The Jool 5 low-mass challange.

It is 7.556 tons on the launchpad.

Ascended with a turbojet, circularized with an ion engine. Landers for Tylo and Laythe. Ion lander for the other moons.

Missions highlights:

• Re-entered while trying to orbit Kerbin.
  • Smooth landings and takeoffs at Laythe and Tylo.
  • Ran out of fuel and had to abuse the eva jetpack.
  • Ion lander used for Bop. Pol was done with jetpack.
  • Returned to Kerbin safely.

Link to mission report: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114886-Jool-5-under-8-tons-on-luanchpad

Here is the image gallery: http://imgur.com/a/n7QfE#0

Details of the trip and its dv/fuel cost are contained with in the album.

Edited by HANNIBALLA
added misison report link.

I've just completed my 3rd level Jool-5 challenge using a single 2298t vehicle on the pad.

Now the hard part... writing it all up and posting the pics:D

And that part is done now... mission report can now be found here.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115422-Jool-5-Challenge-J5-Endeavour-report?p=1833787#post1833787

Hey guys, a low-mass and a high-mass entry, cool! :D

I've added the new missions to the peer review list on the front!

After seeing some of the other submissions, my entry seemed a bit on the porky side, what with all the spare fuel that was thrown away at various points, my Laythe lander being some kind of jet powered vertical dragster and finding my Tylo lander (after some quick testing last night) being reduce-able from 22 to 7 tons.

So at some point I'll be flying the Jool 5 challenge again, but this time after my ships' been on a diet.

Please find another candidate for the Jool-5 Challenge at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115558-Five-motes-in-God-s-eye-An-attempt-at-the-Jool-5-challenge-Jebediah-level

Highlights - for the list of completed missions

"Dawnstar (Did it for the snacks, mostly. And the jetpacking. There was a bit of science that happened along the way, but mostly it's just lots of docking. Read it to find out what got named after Valentina.)"

Satisfaction of the general rules:

1. No cheating was employed. No Alt-F12, no savefile editing, no getting out and pushing, no kraken drives - you get the idea.

2. Almost no parts clipping. I think there's a reaction wheel in the lifter, and two radial attachment points in the main cabin that got lost, but the clipping adds no capability or efficiency. All of the landers are clean.

3. (OK)

4. One launch was made.

5. One ship was sent to Jool.

6. No seats are used for interplanetary travel

7. No refueling mission was sent.

8. All landings include a spacewalk. The heavy-world lander had a decorative flag (see #10, below) that blocked the ladder. A fully-illustrated demonstration of the in-game solution to the problem is provided for reader enjoyment. Shifting the flag inboard also immediately resolves matters.

9. The kerbals are back on Kerbin alive. Yeah, they're happy. I'm also missing five jetpacks.

10. No parts mods that added any capacity other than pretty (flags) or informational (e.g. Kerbal Engineer Redux) were used.

Satisfaction of the Jebediah level requirements:

1. All listed science instruments were used on all moons on which they could be used.

2. All science was brought back to the surface of Kerbin in a Mobile Science Lab (rule version 2), and only science gathered in the Jool system was counted.

3. Each of the five Jool moons had a different crew member assigned, who made or accompaned all landings on that body.

4.All kerbals returned home safely.

Mods included in the game are:

Chatterer, Distant Objects Enhancement, Environmental Visual Enhancements, Flag Decals, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer Redux (information enhancement; no ship control), SCANsat (no science gains allowed), and Transfer Window Planner. No piloting mods were used: I did every takeoff, landing, transfer, and docking myself.

Science gained:

We earned 46,685.4 science within in the Jool system by conducting 275 experiments, measurements or reports. Of this,

120 was given for a vessel returned from the surface of Bop

16.4 were due to accidently filing a second copy of a gravity experiment.

So our net Jool-system research in unduplicated experiments, and exclusive of crew reports, all brought home in the Science Lab rather than being transmitted, is 46,549.

Additional personal science rules:

- No duplication of experiments .

- No crew reports, because they're clearly intended for transmission only, even though the game lets you store them sometimes.

Cool!, I put it out for peer review to the front page!

Also guys please help me to check the missions in terms of cheating/fuels/dVs/"is it possible" and comment the missions in their thread if they look eligible!

Remember: any of you can be a JOOL-5 Judge! :)

...and if a mission gets enough thumbs up then it will go into the Hall of Fame!

(And those who judged at least three missions will earn a JOOL-5 Judge badge!)

So I have found out that my Jool 5 craft is capable of actually visiting every moon in the system without refuelling...

EDIT :

Has the peer-review system been working well?

For myself, no. I have two people who say I have done it but as a third has not then that means I have not yet...

Edited by John FX

Has the peer-review system been working well?

Check the linked missions if they have peer review/feedback or not! :P

So guys, please help me and check the missions in terms of following the rules, delta-V capabilities, fuel consumption (no unexplained sudden refuelings), etc.

I have a lot of work these times so I don't have much time to check the missions but I would not want to close the challenge, so please help me to keep it alive!

Check the linked missions if they have peer review/feedback or not! :P

So guys, please help me and check the missions in terms of following the rules, delta-V capabilities, fuel consumption (no unexplained sudden refuelings), etc.

I have a lot of work these times so I don't have much time to check the missions but I would not want to close the challenge, so please help me to keep it alive!

John Fx's entry is legit. The numbers he provided work out. The only other one I've had time to look at doesn't provide enough fuel stats to track. It does however look legit.

John Fx's entry is legit. The numbers he provided work out. The only other one I've had time to look at doesn't provide enough fuel stats to track. It does however look legit.
I agree on both.

The issue I keep running into is that we need a pic with the resource page up just before every burn.

I'ts not hard, when I keep seeing posts that neglect it Im left wondering why. So much time and effort goes into the mission, documentation and the storyline why not make it easy on the judges too?

I agree on both.

The issue I keep running into is that we need a pic with the resource page up just before every burn.

I'ts not hard, when I keep seeing posts that neglect it Im left wondering why. So much time and effort goes into the mission, documentation and the storyline why not make it easy on the judges too?

Ah, stupid question: What's the "resource page"?

Ah, stupid question: What's the "resource page"?

Top right while you are controlling a vessel, a small icon with a fuel canister and an orange droplet that shows a window with resources (fuel, electric charge, intake air...) when clicked on.

I'll take a look at some of these entries today - I've done Jool-5 twice, have helped out Laie with Eve Rocks and am currently running the Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge, so I have a pretty good handle on reviewing these sorts of things.

So yeah, I might take this challenge. And for me, it's going to be a really big challenge: I've never been out of the Kerbal system, I usually play sandobx and try different designs of... well... everything.

I've read the rules and I have some doubts:

- "You can hack science points and funds in a new savegame to have all the parts and have enough money to go for the mission."

Can't I just use sandbox? It's the same thing: unlimited funds and all parts available.

If not, how can I hack funds and science?

- "No part-clipping."

That big cargo plane that comes with B9 (can't remember the name) has the wings clipping through some fuel tanks, into the main fuselage. Can I do things like that? (place wings going through something to stick to the fuselage)

- Mods allowed:

Quatum Struts

Hangar Extender

Editor Extension

... maybe?

I think that's all... for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.