[0.23.5] StretchySRB: A StretchyTanks Continuation v9 Final Pre-PP edition 3/21/14

NathanKell

Hey Nathen,

Forgive me if this has already be asked, but searches turn up nothing. I am curious if it is possible to make non-cylindrical tanks sterechy. I am thinking of the LLL parts, and Toridal and spherical tanks. Nither nor are needed, of course, but I thought it might be cool.

Texture packs are good stuff, nicely done. But I can't see a few textures, unfortunately only this appears in the output_log:

*ST* Textures not found for StationStripe

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

I am using MemoryCompressor, but I can see all the textures in Ferram pack, and all in blackheart pack except for the StationStripe. And none of planeguy pack.

Sounds like that texture didn't get extracted to the right place. Make sure you followed the pack's install instructions to the letter (extracted the blackheart folder and placed it in GameData).

Negative, if I hadn't, then I would not see the other blackheart textures.

But I found the issue. The path is case-sensitive. So the folder is extracted as blackheart/Stock, but inside the .cfg is blackheart/stock. Changing the path inside the cfg to have the same case fixed. Same problem with the planeguy pack.

Question: When are the stretchy SRBs supposed to show up in career mode? I'm getting the tanks and they're resizing fine as I progress, but I have yet to see an SRB.

E: Nevermind, checked the configs like I should have.

Edited by regex

Question: Is there any major additional difficulty in adding stretchy liquid engines?

I'd imagine it could work like this: Using the stretchy commands the user picks the size and thrust of the engine, and some fuel options are programmed in for realfuels. Then presumably there are some scaling relationships from size and thrust that will give Isp for SL and Vac, and we could come up with a reasonable scaling for engine mass as well from some real-world examples.

Also you'd only need one engine model, so you could pick one with an appropriately small base size.

Edited by Silpion

Test platforms :

-XP 32 bit KSP 0.23 in virtual machine (fresh install + similar set of apps as on physical machine)

-Windows 7 64 bit KSP 0.23 in virtual machine (fresh install + similar set of apps as on physical machine)

-Windows 7 32 bit KSP 0.23 in virtual machine (fresh install + minimal set of apps)

-Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit KSP 0.22 in virtual machine

-Windows7 64 bit 64bit on physical machine (main KSP platform)

Test KSP config:

-minimal set of plugins on Ubuntu in virtual machine StretchySRB, Toolbar, ModuleManager

-set of currently used plugins under XP/7 in virtual machines (same as phyiscal machine)

Toolbar,

ActionGroupManager,

EngineerRedux,

ProceduralFairings,

KerbalJointReinforcement,

ModularFuelTanks,

Personal modded copies of ram air intake, strut connector, swept wing, large girder for part count reduction

notes,

ProceduralDynamics (procedural wings),

RCSBuildAid,

StretchyTanks,

TriggerTech Kerbal Alarm Clock,

TweakableEverything

ModuleManager

Unfortunately, in all tests the same bug showed up, while editing geometry or textures, RCSBuildAid reported same torque/translation problems.

The only difference in tests was in KSP 0.22 under Ubuntu LTS 12.04 inside virtual machine. RCSBuildAid did not load properly (i looked in log file, there were mono errors about unknown types) so i removed from GameData. Toolbar also did not load properly so i just left it there. Test SPH vehicle was created and it's geometry/texture changed several times under this version of KSP and then transferred to my Windows 7 physical machine and RCSBuildAid showed same problem.

All in all, no matter what OS, 64 or 32 bit, physical or virtual machine, StretchyTanks show same symptoms. I just can't believe my eyes. I know other people don't have this problem, but after this much testing to have SAME problem... Incredible ...

More updates:

Since i have added modular fuel tanks, StretchyTanks relinquished control over available fuel types, and cycling through them does not change/exacerbate the problem/bug.

Also i tested StretchyTanks in KSP 0.22 on Ubuntu LTS 12.04 on a Dell laptop (ie physical machine) by making a small test craft, doing usual modelling tasks and then saved it. Since i didn't bother to make RCSBuildAid work on linux version i transferred this craft file back on my main machine and there it was - a small but measurable torque/translation value.

Also, when StretchyTanks are attached to central tank (which is right behind remote control pod root part), no issues durign editing. When i try to attach large girder to central tank an then attach ST tanks it starts bugging again.

Also i have used SharpDevelop 4.4.1 to load a sln and build from source. Same problem.

Here are some pictures

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And here is the craft in question, in different phases :

ST direct attachment

KSP ST re-attached to girders, no editing

KSP ST attached to girders after editing

stuff

Does this result in a strange roll during launch? Because recently I've noticed that rockets with stretchy tanks develop a slow roll while basically identical rocket with KW rocketry tanks do not.

I have a huge amount of mods installed, though the only ones that should interfere are FAR and Joint Reinforcement.

Does this result in a strange roll during launch? Because recently I've noticed that rockets with stretchy tanks develop a slow roll while basically identical rocket with KW rocketry tanks do not.

I have a huge amount of mods installed, though the only ones that should interfere are FAR and Joint Reinforcement.

Although i do only space planes, i too experience rolls and flips. Especially after deploying a payload and deorbiting into atmoshpere below 40km.

But i can't blame it on STs, in my case thats construction issue.

Hi everyone.

I'm very near releasing a big upgrade to stretchy tanks.

The features are:

- Everything accessible by tweaking

- Reduced part count - only three different parts (SRBs, Liquid fuels, Monoprop)

- New tank shapes are easy to develop and plug in, so cuboid / pill shaped / whatever else you want shaped will be able to be created.

- Most stuff configurable in the config file, including resources and fill ratios, tech levels, available shapes

- Diverse support for career mode - tank shapes, dimensions, and contents all limited by researched tech

- A module that can be applied to existing tanks (with say module manager) and allow their contents to be tweaked. (tweak any tank in the VAB into a Liquid fuel only or oxidizer tank).

- For SRBs, tweakable bells that are high or low ratio.

- Deprecation support for StretchySRB - you can continue to use stretchy SRBs for your existing ships, but hide all the tanks so they don't appear in the VAB

It's almost a complete re-write of the code. I've done a fair amount of testing but I expect there'll be a few extra bugs that I haven't found. Given this I'd be interested in people who would be keen on beta-testing.

If I can get maybe four or so ppl that would be ideal.

Ok so I hope someone can help me. I'm having trouble with StretchySRB's "G" does nothing and my tanks when placed have no fuel in them. I suspect a mod conflict, but I used a suggested list of mods from someone off youtube, I don't recall their name.. Below is a list of the mods currently installed. If you can help in any way I would greatly appreciate it.. I would love to play KSP again, but there's not much you can do with only SRB's LOL

Deadly reentrycont_v4.3

Lifesupportmod.1.0.15

RealFuels_v4_3

RealismOverhaul_v3

RealSolarSystem_v5_5

RPL_v18c_0_23Hotfix

StretchySRB_v8.1

TreeLoader_1.1.33

MechJeb2-2.1.1.01

RemoteTech2_Release_1.3.3

FerramAerospaceResearch_v0.12.5.2

RealChute-v0.3.3.2

AIES_Aerospace151

KerbalJointReinforcement_v2.0

These mods were installed by KSP MOD Admin V1.3.11

I tried installing everything manually and had the same problem, "no fuel in the stretchy tanks", I then tried using the "KSP MOD Admin" program.. All the other mods seem fine. I haven't tried the stretchy SRB engines as I haven't unlocked them yet..

Please help if you can... Thanks everyone in advance

Okay, I'm having major, major difficulties with a 5m stretchy tank randomly having linkage failures with whatevers on its top. I know, I know, strut it, right? Well, no amount of strutting helps, it always snaps within a few seconds of standing on the launchpad. The 'bounce' from loading the game up compounds this, but I've clamped it enough to negate that, though of course it still separates a few seconds later. I have tried numerous other types of decouplers, or putting non-stretchy tanks between the 5m stretcher and the decoupler above it. The flight log always reports the failure to be of the 5m.

Its strutted, clamped, etc to hell and back, and I've seriously hit terminal frustration here because nothing works, even if the craft is perfectly still, with clamps on the top and bottom of the rocket alike. I literally have to right-click the lower parts to see for sure they've detached, because when the breakage happens, the clamps keep the two halves in place perfectly. Further, I'm receiving no feedback on what the hell is wrong.

I am running numerous mods, yes, including Realism Overhaul, and its dependencies.

Okay, I'm having major, major difficulties with a 5m stretchy tank randomly having linkage failures with whatevers on its top. I know, I know, strut it, right? Well, no amount of strutting helps, it always snaps within a few seconds of standing on the launchpad. The 'bounce' from loading the game up compounds this, but I've clamped it enough to negate that, though of course it still separates a few seconds later. I have tried numerous other types of decouplers, or putting non-stretchy tanks between the 5m stretcher and the decoupler above it. The flight log always reports the failure to be of the 5m.

Its strutted, clamped, etc to hell and back, and I've seriously hit terminal frustration here because nothing works, even if the craft is perfectly still, with clamps on the top and bottom of the rocket alike. I literally have to right-click the lower parts to see for sure they've detached, because when the breakage happens, the clamps keep the two halves in place perfectly. Further, I'm receiving no feedback on what the hell is wrong.

I am running numerous mods, yes, including Realism Overhaul, and its dependencies.

What is above the tank that you're having issues with? And what engine config are you running?

What is above the tank that you're having issues with? And what engine config are you running?

I'm trying to use a procedural fairing, and that was actually my first suspicion, but like I said, I tried swapping that out for other decouplers, adaptors, even placing a 3.75-to-5 non-stretchy fuel tank, but its always the linkage between the 5m stretcher and whatevers above it.

I am using Realism Overhaul, which includes RealFuels.

Nutt007: Check out the Procedural Parts thread in Dev. That's what's replacing StretchySRB. I believe that even the cylindrical tanks will be using e-dog's fully-procedural code, and so the guide to making parts is "write another geometry-generating function." :)

IonMage: KJR, I assume? You can try messing with the parameters in its config.xml file, or asking on the KJR thread.

Hey thanks for your work on this great mod Nathan. I just got into doing the realism overhaul mod series. I believe I have everything requested on the forum post list, but I seem to be having a problem still with the KI-7000 stretchable conic fuel tank and its resizing in career mode. I say career mode because the problem doesn't seem to appear in sandbox. My problem is that the top and bottom of the cone will not resize past a certain point as far as width. When the piece is selected it shows up with the approx. 0.625. size top and bottom and although you can make the width smaller you can make it no larger. I mention what it looks like when selected because it also looks different in sandbox.

Thanks

Dars