PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

That would be strange, the hatches on my habitats are WAY further away from the CoM. I'm moving around the colliders but the damn thing just stays obstructed. I don't get whats wrong there, its exactly like I allways do it.

That would be strange, the hatches on my habitats are WAY further away from the CoM. I'm moving around the colliders but the damn thing just stays obstructed. I don't get whats wrong there, its exactly like I allways do it.

Mabye it has to do with distance from the z-axis? (or whatever is the center line of the part, most of your parts are really skinny.)

Fixed it. Turns out KSP doesn't like it if your collision mesh is split in two and you put a hatch on it. Replaced it with a single convex collider and it works. Collision mesh is not so accurate anymore now where the front window is, but who wants to attach things there anyway...

Finished the fuselage. It's completely remade. Mesh is optimized, unnessesary vertices removed.

Its slightly shortened to match the exact length of the long fuel tank (3m, or 3.75m in ksp).

New Texture is higher resolution (1024²) and tries to look similar to the old texture but better.

HGNn11A.jpg

I gave it 600 units of liquid fuel (270lf/330ox for LFO version).

Never understood why the stock one only had 160 while the long fuel tank which is smaller has 360/440 (800)

I can see there might be some loss of space due to structural and technical elements necessary for aircraft so I still gave it slightly less capacity than the long tank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkaelclfjzzoicn/SpaceplanePlus.zip

Thx for looking, have fun, tell me about the bugs etc. Next thing I'll work on is the cargo bay. Cheers!

Edit:

Hey Porkjet, don't know how much trouble it would be but it would be nice to have a 3-2 and 4-3 version of those strut adapters you made.

Do you mean 3.75m adapters? I actually wanted to skip that size and only do 5m large parts. I'm curious what the new huge tank size squad is making for the nasa mission pack will be, and I'll probably adapt to whatever that might be. (hopefully 5 meter)

Edited by Porkjet

Fixed it. Turns out KSP doesn't like it if your collision mesh is split in two and you put a hatch on it. Replaced it with a single convex collider and it works. Collision mesh is not so accurate anymore now where the front window is, but who wants to attach things there anyway...

Finished the fuselage. It's completely remade. Mesh is optimized, unnessesary vertices removed.

Its slightly shortened to match the exact length of the long fuel tank (3m, or 3.75m in ksp).

New Texture is higher resolution (1024²) and tries to look similar to the old texture but better.

http://i.imgur.com/HGNn11A.jpg

I gave it 600 units of liquid fuel (270lf/330ox for LFO version).

Never understood why the stock one only had 160 while the long fuel tank which is smaller has 360/440 (800)

I can see there might be some loss of space due to structural and technical elements necessary for aircraft so I still gave it slightly less capacity than the long tank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkaelclfjzzoicn/SpaceplanePlus.zip

Thx for looking, have fun, tell me about the bugs etc. Next thing I'll work on is the cargo bay. Cheers!

Edit:

Do you mean 3.75m adapters? I actually wanted to skip that size and only do 5m large parts. I'm curious what the new huge tank size squad is making for the nasa mission pack will be, and I'll probably adapt to whatever that might be. (hopefully 5 meter)

w00t! DL'ing now for tryouts.

BTW, the cockpit is surprisingly tough: Survived a ditch at 27.4 m/s into the ocean, without a scratch. The wings tore off, the engine exploded, and the inlets caved in, but the cockpit floated just fine. :)

http://i.imgur.com/HGNn11A.jpg

Amazing work as always Porkjet! These look great in-game! Don't forget to update the cockpit texture with the new back surface details.

First flight with the new tanks caught me off guard, as there is a LOT more liquid fuel aboard! :sticktongue: The design is being revised right now, but you have just given me the parts I needed for my first truly successful, totally reusable SSTO spaceplane. THANK YOU!!!!!

EDIT: can you also put together an inline docking port? that's the ONE thing I want most from the Mk2 line right now. Otherwise, I can't refuel on orbit... or transfer crews.

First flight with the new tanks caught me off guard, as there is a LOT more liquid fuel aboard! :sticktongue: The design is being revised right now, but you have just given me the parts I needed for my first truly successful, totally reusable SSTO spaceplane. THANK YOU!!!!!

EDIT: can you also put together an inline docking port? that's the ONE thing I want most from the Mk2 line right now. Otherwise, I can't refuel on orbit... or transfer crews.

Glad you like em! I will make an inline docking port. Until its done you can just slap a standard docking port somewhere.

w00t! DL'ing now for tryouts.

BTW, the cockpit is surprisingly tough: Survived a ditch at 27.4 m/s into the ocean, without a scratch. The wings tore off, the engine exploded, and the inlets caved in, but the cockpit floated just fine. :)

Yes. The crash tolerance is 40 m/s. I just copied that from the stock fuselages. It may be a bit too high.

Glad you like em! I will make an inline docking port. Until its done you can just slap a standard docking port somewhere.

But that ruins the sleek lines of the ship!!!! :sticktongue:

Yes. The crash tolerance is 40 m/s. I just copied that from the stock fuselages. It may be a bit too high.

No need. That allows for crew survival on most of my landings, should I forget to drop the gear. :P

B9 has a nice retractable surface mounted port... panels slide apart and out comes the port.

If you don't mind me saying, this is what I think the spaceplane parts need:

- Inline docking ports. (Preferably a MK3 one, with an open end, and a one or two kerbal capacity airlock.)

- Inline cargo bays. Tiberdyne is good, but it isnt great for stock compatability.

- Longer and shorter adaptors between MK1,2 and 3, both fuelled and structural.

- Crew cabins of varying lengths for MK2 and 3.

- Wings that better emulate the shuttle, and that match the fuselages better.

I have to say though, the work you've done so far is exeptional. ^_^

If you don't mind me saying, this is what I think the spaceplane parts need:

- Inline docking ports. (Preferably a MK3 one, with an open end, and a one or two kerbal capacity airlock.)

- Inline cargo bays. Tiberdyne is good, but it isnt great for stock compatability.

- Longer and shorter adaptors between MK1,2 and 3, both fuelled and structural.

- Crew cabins of varying lengths for MK2 and 3.

- Wings that better emulate the shuttle, and that match the fuselages better.

I have to say though, the work you've done so far is exeptional. ^_^

I agree with the remake of the squad wings (I mean, BLEGH right?)

Also thanks for the quick fix for the hatch

Hey guys can i ask for your advice?

I'm done with the cargobay, but I'm running into many problems in-game. The way the attaching and node system works in the game make it kinda impossible to place anything in the cargobay.

- Surface attaching a docking port on the back of the part the bay is attached to is possible but very finicky cos the port starts to rotate to weird directions as you move it towards the center, lots of patience and eyeballing required.

- Attaching a payload to that docking port is next to impossible! It will allways try to surface attach to the walls of the cargo bay instead of the node of the docking port. I only got done by disabling surface attaching with Editor Extensions. But that's no real sollution, I dont want to require people to have Editor Extensions to use my mod...

I checked how B9 handles those problems and the answer is: it doesnt! Same finicky bull**** editor problems. God dammit Squad! You guys seriously need to overhaul the whole editor.

So how do you guys work with the Cargo Bays in B9? What can i do to make this work in a humanely intuitive way?

Hey guys can i ask for your advice?

I'm done with the cargobay, but I'm running into many problems in-game. The way the attaching and node system works in the game make it kinda impossible to place anything in the cargobay.

- Surface attaching a docking port on the back of the part the bay is attached to is possible but very finicky cos the port starts to rotate to weird directions as you move it towards the center, lots of patience and eyeballing required.

- Attaching a payload to that docking port is next to impossible! It will allways try to surface attach to the walls of the cargo bay instead of the node of the docking port. I only got done by disabling surface attaching with Editor Extensions. But that's no real sollution, I dont want to require people to have Editor Extensions to use my mod...

I checked how B9 handles those problems and the answer is: it doesnt! Same finicky bull**** editor problems. God dammit Squad! You guys seriously need to overhaul the whole editor.

So how do you guys work with the Cargo Bays in B9? What can i do to make this work in a humanely intuitive way?

I build the cargo bay contents outside of the ship, like on the nose cone node, and then bring them into the cargo bay. Basically, if you attach a battery or fuel tank, then a docking port, then the craft, and bring it all into the bay, it will attach easily.

I find the best bet is to build your payload on a node outside the bay and then move it in. I think the easiest thing though would be an open ended bay that could be placed around the payload somehow (As in attach the payload to the craft first)

a__gun, that would be cool, But I think the way the node system currently works wouldn't allow for it. I'll have to test it.

So basically theres no fix and people have to learn to work around it? Hmm ok. Still I hope squad's gonna improve the SPH/VAB handling some day.