PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

Having the filler, it just looked like it was stretching, this way let you see more FX as the thrust went up

Alas, no normal/bump map for it as yet, since I can't make the baking work properly and/or reliably, it's on the list of things I need to do

Hrm... don't most of these nozzles IRL have a second set of plates that cover those gaps? Perhaps if you gave those a lighter color on the outer surface...

Happy with that bit at least

http://i.imgur.com/roxnVgP.gif

That looked a bit boring, this was more, uhh, dramatic I guess? Apparently it should shrink down then only open up under afterburner so oh well, looks neat ^_^

I can only imagine what the Crotch pilot is soto-voicing over the intercom the whole time

can you make that part into a download? and what type of engine is it? jet? rocket? Both?

EDIT: oh i'm getting some werid "penguin waddle" on the runway when i try and fly this thing. with or without the wings with this pack ANd any other wing...

Edited by AntiMatter001

Loving the bi-coupler (and the pack as a whole :)) but would love to see a longer one, or possibly a fuselage size piece that ends as two 1.25m nodes.

Looking to be able to have a longer sleeker look (Similar to a Raptor), rather than the slightly less aesthetically pleasing underpants :P

Is it just me or do the Mk2 parts have a lifting body effect.

It's not just you - they're defined as being wings... which make flying them in FAR surprisingly interesting.

DREC is easy. Check a page or two back. I posted some configs that make your plane parts heat shielded. They also do other stuff that may be unwanted and on the subject of balance I added oxidizer to a part without thinking about reduce fuel content, so... Oops. ;.;

But the DREC stuff is easy to pick out of there.

Sorry to be a pain, but the link you posted for the MM configs for DRE (and stuff) leads to an apparently empty directory in your dropbox. Any chance you could check it out, I'd love to have the configs and I'm never sure how the directional stuff works for DRE.

Edited by Crater
Two replies for the price of one

Sorry to be a pain, but the link you posted for the MM configs for DRE (and stuff) leads to an apparently empty directory in your dropbox. Any chance you could check it out, I'd love to have the configs and I'm never sure how the directional stuff works for DRE.

Ack sorry I must have pasted into the wrong folder. I'll check it out as soon as I'm on my computer

Ack sorry I must have pasted into the wrong folder. I'll check it out as soon as I'm on my computer
Thanks! Much appreciated

Ok, re-link Mk2 Stuff

Some of the stuff in the file might not be for everyone. I'm using FAR so it changes the parts into normal non-winglet parts. And as mentioned before it adds some oxidizer to some parts. The LFO exchange a while back made me realize though that when I added the oxidizer I didnt scale the fuel back; the total fuel/oxidizer should be the same as what the original part had and I didn't fix that yet. :(

Also some B9 parts that I use with the Mk2 are modified in a separate file in that folder if you want to check those out. Particularly I use the giant airliner wings, the S2 wide body parts and Porkjet's cockpit/passenger section to make a pretty cool looking spaceplane that gets into orbit fairly well but has trouble with its cockpit which I have on an overly long neck, smacking into the tarmac on touchdown. Very tricky to land in one piece.

Ok, re-link Mk2 Stuff

Some of the stuff in the file might not be for everyone. I'm using FAR so it changes the parts into normal non-winglet parts. And as mentioned before it adds some oxidizer to some parts. The LFO exchange a while back made me realize though that when I added the oxidizer I didnt scale the fuel back; the total fuel/oxidizer should be the same as what the original part had and I didn't fix that yet. :(

Also some B9 parts that I use with the Mk2 are modified in a separate file in that folder if you want to check those out. Particularly I use the giant airliner wings, the S2 wide body parts and Porkjet's cockpit/passenger section to make a pretty cool looking spaceplane that gets into orbit fairly well but has trouble with its cockpit which I have on an overly long neck, smacking into the tarmac on touchdown. Very tricky to land in one piece.

Awesome. I already had the FAR changes - I'd done that one myself, but hadn't had a reference handy for the direction on the DREC shields. I'm now looking forward to many crashes and oopses tonight (sorry Jeb) while I get some shiny spaceplanes built. :D

Well, your quick hack is actually what the proper solution is.

The wings need this, but with different settings. The meanings are in the FAR readme.... going to peruse them now.... this shouldn't be too hard.

AND... I just remembered something Ferram said. The wings part origin needs to be at the root of the wing. I think he also said bad things can happen otherwise.

MODULE
{
name = FARWingAerodynamicModel
MAC = 5.418
e = 0.9
IsSmallCtrlSurf = 0
MidChordSweep = 21.8
ctrlaxis = none
b_2 = 21.841
TaperRatio = 0.132
}

So wait, why is that code there, and will it help my plane actually fly like a plane? And not like a stick with an engine on it? :P

I mean: I can fly it vertically while my prograde is facing horizontally and there will be so little drag (an no lift) that i can just stay vertical and FAR says there is "no stalling detected"! (this only happens while using porkjets wings)

So wait, why is that code there, and will it help my plane actually fly like a plane? And not like a stick with an engine on it? :P

I mean: I can fly it vertically while my prograde is facing horizontally and there will be so little drag (an no lift) that i can just stay vertical and FAR says there is "no stalling detected"! (this only happens while using porkjets wings)

That's because of the above poorly-tested FAR compatibility that I was talking about. Just copying-and-pasting a FAR config into the wing config file doesn't mean that they fly like they should. Someone has to actually spend time testing and tweaking...

That's because of the above poorly-tested FAR compatibility that I was talking about. Just copying-and-pasting a FAR config into the wing config file doesn't mean that they fly like they should. Someone has to actually spend time testing and tweaking...

Thanks. I guess I'll wait until someone with some skill (and kindness) does it!

Meh I guess I can stare at the parts for now

Hrm... don't most of these nozzles IRL have a second set of plates that cover those gaps? Perhaps if you gave those a lighter color on the outer surface...

I could add another set of thin inner 'gap' petals for that, I was concerned about making the complexity to high, the tri-count is already getting up there.

can you make that part into a download? and what type of engine is it? jet? rocket? Both?

They're SABRE/RAPIER style engines, they're currently using the HotRockets! effects, feel free to try them out if you like (just pare out any parts in there you don't want)

Ok, re-link Mk2 Stuff

I see there's an entry there for the KSO shuttle tailrudder for FAR. You have:

@PART[tailrudderkso]:Final

{

@module = Part

@dragCoeff = 0.0

@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.0

MODULE

{

name = FARControllableSurface

MAC = 2.264

e = 0.75

MidChordSweep = 22.1

maxdeflect = 15

b_2 = 3.601

TaperRatio = 0.188

ctrlSurfFrac = 0.4

}

}

And I see that the current KSO download comes with this FAR config file now, which has the following:

@PART[tailrudderkso]

{

@module = Part

@maximum_drag = 0

@minimum_drag = 0

@angularDrag = 0

@dragCoeff = 0

@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0

!MODULE[ModuleControlSurface] {}

MODULE

{

MAC = 1.6

e = 0.8

MidChordSweep = 21.7

maxdeflect = 15

ctrlSurfFrac = 0.35

b_2 = 2

TaperRatio = 0.85

}

}

How did you decide to change the numbers for MAC, e and MidChordSweep? Why did you decide on the numbers you did?

I see there's an entry there for the KSO shuttle tailrudder for FAR. You have:

@PART[tailrudderkso]:Final

{

@module = Part

@dragCoeff = 0.0

@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.0

MODULE

{

MAC = 2.264

e = 0.75

MidChordSweep = 22.1

maxdeflect = 15

b_2 = 3.601

TaperRatio = 0.188

ctrlSurfFrac = 0.4

}

}

And I see that the current KSO download comes with this FAR config file now, which has the following:

@PART[tailrudderkso]

{

@module = Part

@maximum_drag = 0

@minimum_drag = 0

@angularDrag = 0

@dragCoeff = 0

@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0

!MODULE[ModuleControlSurface] {}

MODULE

{

MAC = 1.6

e = 0.8

MidChordSweep = 21.7

maxdeflect = 15

ctrlSurfFrac = 0.35

b_2 = 2

TaperRatio = 0.85

}

}

How did you decide to change the numbers for MAC, e and MidChordSweep? Why did you decide on the numbers you did?

Crap, that's not supposed to be in that config file... that was for PJ stuff only. And it looks like something I grabbed from another part just for the properties to edit, not to use on that part. The values are from a much larger wing I think and I was going to delete them all and rework them from scratch. It's supposed to be in a scratchpad config file.

Anyway...

This wiki article has some good info on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(aircraft)

Seriously? What is this world coming to?