PorkWorks dev thread [Habitat Pack] [SpaceplanePlus]

Porkjet

Testing the new parts before texturing.

Long Nose/Tail thing: very pointy, careful where you point this.

Flat plane tail: good for flying wing and radial booster designs. Much lift.

1.25m Engine Shroud: this is just supposed to look cool

Mk2 short Nose (-cone?): good to have one around

That "0.625/1.25/0.625" adapter: Quite handy and looks better than radial attach whackjobs.

YESSSSSSSSSS. Oh man, these are all awesome, but that hypersonic nose is the bestest.

All these new parts look great. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Porkjet, would you be interested in redoing any of the stock 1.25m parts? If there was decent looking Mk1 Cockpit, Fuselage and Mk2 Cockpit, one would never have to look at the ugly stock parts again when plane building.

All these new parts look great. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Porkjet, would you be interested in redoing any of the stock 1.25m parts? If there was decent looking Mk1 Cockpit, Fuselage and Mk2 Cockpit, one would never have to look at the ugly stock parts again when plane building.

Don't quote me on this, but I think Hugo The Intern is redoing spaceplane parts for 0.24.

Did I not just say 'don't quote me on this'? :P (kidding..)

Yeah, apparently, it was on the Squadcast a few weeks ago that the intern is working on plane parts - most likely just retextures and actual missing parts (like a Mk3-1 adapter, a Mk2 cockpit, possibly IVAs), though, not a whole pack designed around the Mk2 shape. But I really hope they re-do the Mk3 set entirely, it's just awful all over - CoM way too low, can only fit to two other parts (either the Mk3 adapter, the cockpit or jet fuel), attachment node is too low, it looks like the shuttle but can't carry oxidiser for rockets, texture's hideous..

But I digress - yes, apparently, Hugo's reworking plane parts. I can't find the Squadcast in question, but user Pulstar mentions it here.

Does he? If he redoes any MK2 parts I'm gonna commit seppuku x_x

I highly doubt his efforts will be anywhere near the quality of your stuff Porkjet! It would have been nice for squad to have got community opinion on such effort though, rather than going "behind our backs" as it were.

The docking part has 150 monoprop, that isn't good enough for you?

I don't use that part :blush: - I have an ejectable nose cone covering a SDHI IACBM so I dock with my space station without adapters... Guess I need to go revisit the docking port.

Speaking of which, how about a MK2 styled decoupler to eject cockpits from ailing spaceplanes? Mine tend to flip over and blow up a lot, and ejection system would be quite handy. Given your penchant for combining functionality (which is a good thing as it reduces part count), that decoupler could also have separatrons built in for additional escaping goodness. Oh and one more thought: Make the separator motors monopropellant fueled so that they could be used for either escaping a failing spaceplane, or contribute to RCS.

Those new parts look fabulous!

Edited by Angel-125

"Hugo (The Intern): I’ve been addressing some simple issues with a couple of pieces. I also started the process of improving the aesthetics and behavior of several existing pieces inside the game. Looking forward for the new release and the upcoming work and news."

Nothing in the quote explicitly refers the mk2 parts, so who knows what he's working on. Squad is better off dumping the old spaceplane parts and starting over anyways, they're atrociously ugly.

The models and textures would be thrown out of the window, but some of the shapes either make shape or are iconic by now. This very mod shows how good Mk2 parts can look.
Exactly right. The general profiles are fine, but everything else about the parts... ugh. I go as far as deleting the part files to remove clutter, especially now with Spaceplane Plus being completely superior to stock.

Porkjet,

I try to mock up the 0.625/1.25/0.625 adapter, I found that 0.625m rocket engine can't provide more delta v due to those engine tend to have lower isp than 1.25m engine.

Then I try to use the ion engine, I found that ion engine only can provide few hundred delta v for a 1X ~2X TON space plane, and it takes over 10 minute to burn.

Would you like to make a OMS engine power by monopropellant or make a high isp 0.625m rocket engine?

Porkjet,

I try to mock up the 0.625/1.25/0.625 adapter, I found that 0.625m rocket engine can't provide more delta v due to those engine tend to have lower isp than 1.25m engine.

Then I try to use the ion engine, I found that ion engine only can provide few hundred delta v for a 1X ~2X TON space plane, and it takes over 10 minute to burn.

Would you like to make a OMS engine power by monopropellant or make a high isp 0.625m rocket engine?

Well, the idea would be to get a couple of 1.25 meter xenon tanks from somewhere and stuff them in the cargo bay. And build small for the thing, since it'd likely be an unmanned plane for scientific sampling of Lathe, Jool, or Eve.

Also, once more giving Porkjet more stuff to do, but what about an inflatable station module that fits in the long cargo bay, to make the planes useful for taking up parts for a space station?

Porkjet,

I think the idea behind the tricoupler is for a jet engine x 0.625 rad engine combo. Not for 3 rocket engines.

Saying X isn't useful because it doesn't directly result in more dV budget is a really flawed way of thinking as well.

Hey, I just noticed that the crew cabin generator outputs -20 charge per minute, actually draining electricity instead of generating it. I just tested this out and it sucks away energy like mad. :)

Edit: Erm... wait, that might be due to a custom config of mine...

Edit 2: Yep, one of my custom realism configs. Nevermind!

Edited by jrandom

Hey, I just noticed that the crew cabin generator outputs -20 charge per minute, actually draining electricity instead of generating it. I just tested this out and it sucks away energy like mad. :)

Edit: Erm... wait, that might be due to a custom config of mine...

Edit 2: Yep, one of my custom realism configs. Nevermind!

Translation: He had too much stuff plugged into the outlet :P

:confused:

It flies?

Not only that, it can make parabolic arcs out of the atmosphere! It helps that the round side tanks are just a pair of 46-meter-long Procedural Parts tanks. They form the backbone that all the other pieces strut to, to eliminate wobble.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Getting it off the runway is... nontrivial. It can't lift itself off the ground going slower than 240m/s.

Edited by jrandom

Not only that, it can make parabolic arcs out of the atmosphere! It helps that the round side tanks are just a pair of 46-meter-long Procedural Parts tanks. They form the backbone that all the other pieces strut to, to eliminate wobble.

http://imgur.com/a/AmByS

Getting it off the runway is... nontrivial. It can't lift itself off the ground going slower than 240m/s.

Uh huh.... and.... what does FAR have to say about it? (or was FAR given any say in the matter?)

Uh huh.... and.... what does FAR have to say about it? (or was FAR given any say in the matter?)

I wouldn't have known how to design it without FAR. And I don't think AJE makes any sense without it, either. It's a fun combo -- high-speed vehicles are way trickier not just to design, but to fly.

This was the starting point. I worked my way up from that, resulting in that fifth iteration shown above.

Edited by jrandom