[1.12.3+] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.9.4 | 02/06/24

stupid_chris

The kOS update is pretty sweet, thank you!

I have one question: Spare chutes is a limited number. If I want to set up a fully reusable lander that will operate indefinitely to ferry people from Duna orbit to surface, relying on rovers to allow for high efficiency (but imprecise) descents...

Is there a way I can "refuel" the realchute spare chutes?

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 9:47 PM, stupid_chris said:

Maintenance update!

Thank you very much for your renewed support.  I realize that the KSP2 debacle justifiably interfered with your rationale and motivation for continued work on this mod, but I'm glad you've found it.  Hopefully, you've had a restful break :).

I'm looking to seeing RC2.

5 hours ago, RunaDacino said:

I know that stock chutes can be repacked https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Parachute, but I don't know if RC implements this process.  Have you experimented on or near the KSC to see if it works?

Edited by Brigadier
Duplicate element in the post because the forum was misbehaving.

7 hours ago, RunaDacino said:

I have one question: Spare chutes is a limited number. If I want to set up a fully reusable lander that will operate indefinitely to ferry people from Duna orbit to surface, relying on rovers to allow for high efficiency (but imprecise) descents...

The editor window exposes the amount of spares each chute has. If you would like it to be limitless, simply put it to -1 and it'll ignore the amount left when repacking! Turning spares into cargo (like EVA fuel refills) is actually some plans I have for RC2.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Thank you very much for your renewed support.  I realize that the KSP2 debacle justifiably interfered with your rationale and motivation for continued work on this mod, but I'm glad you've found it.  Hopefully, you've had a restful break :).

I'm looking to seeing RC2.

It was a lot of limbo, but I do have some motivation to get stuff done now at least. Very hard to tell a timeline because I've become increasingly busy over the year, but it's come back on the table now.

8 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

If you would like it to be limitless, simply put it to -1 and it'll ignore the amount left when repacking!

All these years and I never knew that!  Good to know now :P

Posted (edited)

Another small-ish update

May 29th, 2024
v1.4.9.2
-Added in-place canopy resizing
-Updated ModuleManager patches for stock
-Stock patches now default to triple canopies for the Mk16 Parachute (large cone)
-Added ModuleManager patches specific to ReStock
-ReStock patches makes use of in-place resizing to dynamically scale chutes without replacing the models
-Fixed bug on procedural parts without TextureLibrary
-Added missing linebreak in RealChuteModule part info
-Fixed low-altitude deployments skipping the pre-deployment animation
-Added ModuleCargoPart to all RealChute parts

This should have much better integration with ReStock now.

Also worth mentioning: Stock/Restock patches are now listed separately on CKAN, they are installed independently.

Cheers!

Edited by stupid_chris

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Achilles98 said:

Latest update seems to have broken stock parachutes with ReStock, here is 1.4.9.1 and here is 1.4.9.2

(Not sure why the part has been renamed, by the way. Could be from something else and I just never noticed?)

Assuming your install is through CKAN, you must install the stock/ReStock patches (RealChuteForStock).

Edited by stupid_chris

Hotfix! I broke stuff.

May 29th, 2024
v1.4.9.3
*Hotfix*
-Fixed issue where the full deployment animation would not play and the drag not lerp properly

Apologies, things should work normally now.

Enjoy!

Posted (edited)

@stupid_chris, if I understand correctly, post update, is there no way of adding a real chute to a stock parachute part and must I use only RC parts when I wish to customize my chute configuration?

If so, I would love to see a RC version of the MK16 that fits so nicely on top of various capsules, such as the Mk1, Mk2 and Corvus Command Pods.  I am aware of the part size cycle buttons on the UI.

Or, does one wait for RC2? :cool:

Edited by Brigadier
Additional question.

7 hours ago, Brigadier said:

@stupid_chris, if I understand correctly, post update, is there no way of adding a real chute to a stock parachute part and must I use only RC parts when I wish to customize my chute configuration?

As mentioned previously, there are MM patches that add RC behaviour to stock/restock. If you have a manual install, they should be there by default assuming you have MM installed, and if you have a CKAN install, CKAN will install them unless you request to not have them installed. The parts themselves will not be rescalable however, but the canopies will be sized dynamically according to the chute's diameter.

7 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Or, does one wait for RC2? :cool:

That will probably be a lengthy wait, best not hold your breath :P 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

That will probably be a lengthy wait, best not hold your breath :P 

<big intake of breath :sealed:>:sticktongue:

if you have a CKAN install, CKAN will install them unless you request to not have them installed.

I've re-installed RC and RC Stock (an actual remove/reinstall) and CKAN did not ask for anything other than recommending 3 other mods which I declined.  However, the RC functionality is present on stock/Restock parts.  What I'm I not understanding?

As mentioned previously,...

Sorry if I missed that somewhere.

Thanks.

Edited by Brigadier

On 5/30/2024 at 10:37 PM, Brigadier said:

I've re-installed RC and RC Stock (an actual remove/reinstall) and CKAN did not ask for anything other than recommending 3 other mods which I declined.  However, the RC functionality is present on stock/Restock parts.  What I'm I not understanding?

If it works im not sure what the issue is then, wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Posted (edited)

I got the update installed (thank you!!!). But how do I get the “deployment safe state” in KOS?  I'm not seeing it as a field in the "RealChuteModule" or any of the other part modules. 

Edited by Petrucio
Clarification

8 hours ago, Petrucio said:

I got the update installed (thank you!!!). But how do I get the “deployment safe state” in KOS?  I'm not seeing it as a field in the "RealChuteModule" or any of the other part modules. 

I don't use kOS myself, but my general understanding is that exposed fields should be visible. It should be called "safeState" under RealChute module. If it's not there, im assuming it means kOS does not support enums, and I have to expose it a second time as a string.

4 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

I don't use kOS myself, but my general understanding is that exposed fields should be visible. It should be called "safeState" under RealChute module. If it's not there, im assuming it means kOS does not support enums, and I have to expose it a second time as a string.

I appreciate the response.  Here's what kOS lists under the the RealChuteModule: 

• "spare chutes" (which is the only field "Int 32", the others are all events or actions)
  • "deploy chute" (event)
  • "toggle info" (event)
  • "deploy chute" (listed again, this time as an action)
  • "cut main chute" (action)
  • "arm parachute" (action)
  • "disarm parachute" (action)

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Petrucio said:

I appreciate the response.  Here's what kOS lists under the the RealChuteModule: 

• "spare chutes" (which is the only field "Int 32", the others are all events or actions)
  • "deploy chute" (event)
  • "toggle info" (event)
  • "deploy chute" (listed again, this time as an action)
  • "cut main chute" (action)
  • "arm parachute" (action)
  • "disarm parachute" (action)

Thanks.

Thanks for the info, looks like it doesnt detect enums. I'll expose it as a string as well.

Tested it out, found the problem, it was not the fact it's an enum, but the fact that it must be visible in the PAW. Fix will be in next update.

Edited by stupid_chris

Update with some fixes!

June 2nd, 2024
v1.4.9.4
-Fixed SafeState still not being properly visible to kOS
-AutoArm setting now defaults to true
-Changed way presets are loaded to avoid them being overwritten by mod updates
-Changed presets to use proper size nodes, not legacy sizes

Cheers everyone!

On 6/2/2024 at 4:49 PM, stupid_chris said:

Update with some fixes!

June 2nd, 2024
v1.4.9.4
-Fixed SafeState still not being properly visible to kOS
-AutoArm setting now defaults to true
-Changed way presets are loaded to avoid them being overwritten by mod updates
-Changed presets to use proper size nodes, not legacy sizes

Cheers everyone!

kOS works now, thanks!  For the kOS users, it's under the field called "is safe to deploy?" under the REALCHUTEMODULE.  It returns a value of 0 (safe), 1 (risky), and 2 (dangerous).  Unfortunately, the parachutes with a main and secondary chute return the safestate of the main chute only.  So if you're using this to deploy a drogue chute you'll need to use a single chute (not a combo chute). 

1 hour ago, Petrucio said:

kOS works now, thanks!  For the kOS users, it's under the field called "is safe to deploy?" under the REALCHUTEMODULE.  It returns a value of 0 (safe), 1 (risky), and 2 (dangerous).  Unfortunately, the parachutes with a main and secondary chute return the safestate of the main chute only.  So if you're using this to deploy a drogue chute you'll need to use a single chute (not a combo chute). 

Well, its a bit more complicated than that.
Every module can house an arbitrary amount of parachutes, but the module itself can only reflect one state. The logic is that if all parachutes have the same state, this one is used, but if any single parachute has a different state than the others, then the module reflects Risky by default.
There isn't any way to reflect a different value at the module level for every parachute, and there is no way to expose the parachutes data objects to kOS. The appropriate way to treat this is to wait until the parachute says "safe", which guarantees that all of them are safe.

On 6/4/2024 at 4:46 PM, stupid_chris said:

Well, its a bit more complicated than that.
Every module can house an arbitrary amount of parachutes, but the module itself can only reflect one state. The logic is that if all parachutes have the same state, this one is used, but if any single parachute has a different state than the others, then the module reflects Risky by default.
There isn't any way to reflect a different value at the module level for every parachute, and there is no way to expose the parachutes data objects to kOS. The appropriate way to treat this is to wait until the parachute says "safe", which guarantees that all of them are safe.

I figured it was a limitation and nothing you could do about it.  The simple fix is to have dedicated drogue chutes. Coming in fast on Duna or Eve is when I want to have an automated drogue chute deploy and just need the safe state on that. Once the drogue chute does it's thing and is cut away, the main chute is safe to deploy.  So I just need to have separate chutes for the drogue and main.