[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

First off just wanted to give a big shout out to stupid_chris for this mod!

I seem to have encountered a bug. I have the following setup on my ship, from top to bottom:

chute, command pod, decoupler, payload with main radial chute, decoupler, engines.

During decent back into Kerbin's atmosphere (main chute, command pod, decoupler, payload with main radial chute), at around 10km, the payload chute is deployed, then at 5km the decoupler seperates the command pod from the payload and the command pod chute deploy (both decouple and chute in the same stage). During the final decent, the command pods chute deploys fully as per normal, but the payload chute refuses to go into fully deployed state. I ran the test again but switched back to the payload just after separation, but the same thing happened. The payload chute refuses to fully deploy where the command pod chute fully deploys.

Replacing the payload radial chute with just a normal chute has the same issue, payload chute refuses to deploy.

On switching back to the payload it becomes obvious from the way its falling that the game seems to forget that there is a parachute there even though it is already deployed. Just hitting space again seems to refresh the games memory into remembering that there is a parachute there and it falls/deploys normally.

Has anybody else encountered a situation similar to this?

That's because Spaceport ratings are broken. It doesn't actually have that many ratings. But yeah, I've messaged the owner months ago to update it with his permission, and I still haven't received an answer. I'd rather not update mods who aren't even updated for .20 :/

:sad: sniff... sniff sniff.... waaaaaaaaa! :) j/k keep up the good work.

Are you doing both at the same time? It's possible that the parachutes aren't deployed before they are decoupled. Else, if you have a lot of vertical speed, it is very possible that you are getting out of the physics range before they reach apoapsis and start going down again, so you simply never see them deploy.

That was just an example, in fact I deployed a chut on the way upwards, ran out of power and the parachute didn't open as I fell back to Kerbin

That was just an example, in fact I deployed a chut on the way upwards, ran out of power and the parachute didn't open as I fell back to Kerbin

I think the bug might be something about uncontrolled vessels. A probe that's out of power of a command-less payload thus wouldn't deploy chutes properly.

First off just wanted to give a big shout out to stupid_chris for this mod!

I seem to have encountered a bug. I have the following setup on my ship, from top to bottom:

chute, command pod, decoupler, payload with main radial chute, decoupler, engines.

During decent back into Kerbin's atmosphere (main chute, command pod, decoupler, payload with main radial chute), at around 10km, the payload chute is deployed, then at 5km the decoupler seperates the command pod from the payload and the command pod chute deploy (both decouple and chute in the same stage). During the final decent, the command pods chute deploys fully as per normal, but the payload chute refuses to go into fully deployed state. I ran the test again but switched back to the payload just after separation, but the same thing happened. The payload chute refuses to fully deploy where the command pod chute fully deploys.

Replacing the payload radial chute with just a normal chute has the same issue, payload chute refuses to deploy.

On switching back to the payload it becomes obvious from the way its falling that the game seems to forget that there is a parachute there even though it is already deployed. Just hitting space again seems to refresh the games memory into remembering that there is a parachute there and it falls/deploys normally.

Has anybody else encountered a situation similar to this?

Both of those crafts are separate right? Hm, I didn't test the parachutes on unfocused vessels. Thanks, I'll try to see if I can figure this out. I have an idea.

Did you go out of the atmosphere? When you deploy with the must go down clause on, the parachute will go on hold, the icon will turn light blue and the screen will show a message indicating your current vertical velocity. However, if you go out of the atmosphere, the parachute will cut and it will stop showing the message.

Also: PSA

v0.2 might be further than first planned. I'm getting much busier and the end of the semester is coming fast with finals. I have a physics exam next week and it probably will take my whole week. I'm giving blood today and working tonight, I won't be home this weekend, and yeah. Depending on how much time I have, it could take a while for me to finish dual chutes. I have it partially working, however I'm getting troubles for the second chute to deploy. Thank to you all for your support and patience, it's greatly appreciated :)

I'm getting much busier and the end of the semester is coming fast with finals. I have a physics exam next week and it probably will take my whole week. I'm giving blood today

Oh i feel you with the tests and I am also giving blood today... just as long as the project doenst get totally abandoned i will be very happy

Both of those crafts are separate right?

Correct. The issue appears once the chutes are deployed and the craft separates, the uncontrolled craft seems to loose the understanding of parachutes.

I believe it has something to do with once a vessel containing the chute part looses control (either due to probe power failure or the chuted vessel no longer being the active vessel but still in load range) then the game unloads your coding for the chute. So the vessel has to be re selected and the chute code restarted for it to function properly.

Is there an way for you to add a cushion to your mod pack? For when you forget the parachutes.

most of the time when you forget your parachutes wou hit the ground going 100 m/s or faster, cushion would do you know good. Also if you add a cushion as a part then you have to remember to attach it...

Well, while cushions aren't planned in themselves, I'm also working on a floater module, for pods and other stuff. More info on that sooner or later :)

Also, I have great news!

I have finally managed to get dual chutes working! However, this required massive changes to the code, it literally double in length, from 600 lines to 1150 lines. I'm going to give the plugin to my testing team tonight and they'll report to me any bugs they find, and the new version should hopefully be up and working before the end of the weekend :)

Oh! I should probably drop in and mention this.

It seems RealChutes doesn't play nice with part of Kerbal Engineer Redux. It appears that KER's Flight Engineer Surface mode loses its mind and wipes out the whole interface for KER when a real chute is installed on a vehicle, but not deployed. Soon as you pop the chute, the interface restores. The problem seems to strictly be surface mode once you hit atmosphere, probably atmospheric drag or something unable to know what to do with itself with a packed realchute, so it has a heart attack.

Oh! I should probably drop in and mention this.

It seems RealChutes doesn't play nice with part of Kerbal Engineer Redux. It appears that KER's Flight Engineer Surface mode loses its mind and wipes out the whole interface for KER when a real chute is installed on a vehicle, but not deployed. Soon as you pop the chute, the interface restores. The problem seems to strictly be surface mode once you hit atmosphere, probably atmospheric drag or something unable to know what to do with itself with a packed realchute, so it has a heart attack.

That's weird. Thanks for letting me know, however I'm not sure what I can do about it. I'll take a look.

A while back we were talking about drogue with mains in a single unit. I found a unit like that in this mod on spaceport, http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/sdhi-service-module-system/

thought it might be interesting if anyone wanted to look at it and see how it worked, or what might be done along these lines.

thanks for a great fun mod...

A while back we were talking about drogue with mains in a single unit. I found a unit like that in this mod on spaceport, http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/sdhi-service-module-system/

thought it might be interesting if anyone wanted to look at it and see how it worked, or what might be done along these lines.

As most of you may be aware, I'm the author of that add-on.

At the time of writing, V1.3 used two parachute transforms, four animations and two stock parachute PartModules with different cutoff speeds; however, the stock PartModule cannot handle multiple instances properly, resulting in the mains being deployed without the drogues being cut.

That being said, Chris gave me the aforementioned experimental version of his RealChute plugin to play with yesterday afternoon, and after modifying my SDHI parts, the drogues will now autocut properly before deploying the mains. As an added bonus, the docking port light animations are now also toggleable even after parachute deployment. As such, the next update the the SDHI SMS will make use of RealChutes.

As most of you may be aware, I'm the author of that add-on.

At the time of writing, V1.3 used two parachute transforms, four animations and two stock parachute PartModules with different cutoff speeds; however, the stock PartModule cannot handle multiple instances properly, resulting in the mains being deployed without the drogues being cut.

That being said, Chris gave me the aforementioned experimental version of his RealChute plugin to play with yesterday afternoon, and after modifying my SDHI parts, the drogues will now autocut properly before deploying the mains. As an added bonus, the docking port light animations are now also toggleable even after parachute deployment. As such, the next update the the SDHI SMS will make use of RealChutes.

good to hear :)

Good stuff..... Thanks for all of the work.... I (We) appreciate it....

Heh, the update was precisely about sumghai's parachute :P Well, more about allowing people to create double parachutes, and adding them to the future pack.

Anyway, good news! I've worked through a few bugs and inconsistencies in my code, and cleaned it for release! Should be up in the next few hours!

And there we go, update is up!

Changelog:

November 23rd 2013
v0.2
-Added a compatibility mode for a second parachute on the same part! Can only be used if the parachute has a a
second set of parachute transform/animation
-Reworked deployment code from the ground up to allow the above feature

Currently, the only part supporting dual chutes that I know of is sumghai's SDHI dockingport/parachutes. He should go around to update it soon enough.

Testing out the new version.

During my payload separation test mentioned a couple of pages previously, when the payload is separated at ~10Km above kerbin atmosphere, the chutes present on the payload are automatically cut leaving the payload chute-less to plummet into a sad heap of debris across the landscape.

Any updates/news on this issue S_C?

I prefer the semi-deployment to be done by pressure rather than altitude. Any way I can do it with RC?

And trying to open chutes above minimum altitude results in it locking up at an unrepairable state. While this might be intended to up the game's difficulty, I prefer being able to pre-deploy my chutes in space so that I don't have to keep watch over it. How to do this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.