[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

You are awesome. Love you.

That does not seem to be something that is thrown out by RealChute. Will try here, but I doubt it's related.

EDIT:

Yep, exact same thing works over here, and it stays fine through quicksave/quickload. Only mod on my install is RealChute. This might be a weird interaction.

And the error is non-specific as to any mod at all. great. going to have to pull things off one by one. I'll start with RF, I think its the only other mod I have thats really active in the VAB. Oops and Procedural Fairings and RCS build aid but I doubt the latter

Edited by Starwaster

Absolutely maddening. Im playing along in the new career mode and my game starts breaking after adding a few mods. Ships start losing focus in flight after reverting to launch or loading a save etc. I do a binary search through the mods to narrow it down and its this one. I painstakingly detail and document the exact conditions/parts to reproduce the error and come to report my findings. Its already fixed! Blarhg. You... stupid, Stupid Chris.

Also thanks.

Ok almost-new install. I left a few mods on like toolbar, MM and parts only packs and it still did it.

However, it's not just any RC equipped part, like MM patched stock ones dont do it. Only the 'stock RC' parts. I tried a stack chute this time...

I'm taking it down all the way to RC..

Candidate mods at this point... (just because they're still installed)

toolbar

module manager

MyTweaks folder (I'll count that but I don't think it was doing anything to the parts in question... it's going bye bye on the next test run)

RCS Build Aid

SDHI (better not be that one...)

SPD (THSS clone, parts only)

StageRecovery

StockDragFix

TriggerTech (alarm clock)

Packrat rover

zzz's greenhouse

Edit: Just crashed again with ONLY Real Chute. To refine my testing technique a bit further; same little probe thing, same structural fuselage things

Put a RealChute part on top of one of the four outer parts and then started mashing the X key a buncha times. (real scientific here)

The first time, four ghosted RC parts appeared, 3 of them red. Second keypress and I could sort of tell that there was more than one RC part occupying the target part. Probably all four. Then crash.

Reposting player.log (maybe it'll be more informative with no other mods)

That's the other thing though.... I'm on a Mac. Maybe it's Mac specific:(

Can any other Mac users try testing that out? Just plop a probe core, an empty structural fuselage (it has literally no part modules) on top of or under the core. Then four more symmetrically placed. Then put one RC part on one structural piece and go crazy on the X key (symmetry)

Edited by Starwaster

Hello! Awesome mod I must say! But I get a lot of these errors on reentry:

[EXC 23:30:36.669] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Since I only have this problem after installing RC, I suspect it to be the cause. I have uploaded my log. All the info is in there. The errors start somewhere in the last 10th.

Until I can resolves this issue, I sadly have to de-install it again since these error cause sever lag.

That'S not the right log, I cannot help you with that. I'll need the output_log.txt, else all I know is that your game is throwing errors, not what is causing it. Given the number of mods you have, it could be a lot of things.

Reposted log, pretty sparse and the only unusual thing I see is that at one point it says Windows 64 bit build detected even though I'm on a Mac.... OS X.

Fortunately, the bug is easy to work around; it only happens if I place the RC part symmetrically. If I put it instead on a single part and then place that part (the parent) symmetrically, that causes no problems....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m695kpn57qjpye7/Player.RealChute.Symmetry.CRASH.log

(excerpt)
[Versioning]: Windows 64-bit Build Detected.

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Launcher Settings File doesn't exist

(Filename: /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/MacStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Launcher after checking file: True

Load(Assembly): RealChute/Plugins/RealChute

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /Applications/KSP_osx_0.24.0 TROUBLESHOOTING/GameData/RealChute/Plugins/RealChute.dll

That's.... weird. Maybe because RealChute is built on the windows x64 files? If that's the case I'll try sending you binaries built with the mac references to see if it does any different.

Chris, I am about 99% sure that it's not a Real Chute issue; at least not with the plugin.

I'm still not quite sure where the cause lies but it's something about the parts themselves, because if I remove the RC modules from one of the RC parts, it still breaks symmetry somehow and crashes the game.

Just to be sure, I'm removing the RealChute.dll file itself outright and running the game again.

Suddenly got tired and fell asleep so I'm a bit fuzzy right now and something might have been flawed in my methodology but it actually seemed like it might have been surface attachment being enabled without a surface attachment node specified.

And... wait WHUT??? 24.1? new procedural costs whut?

Yep, Squad issued a patch for 0.24, changelog visible here, and one of the things they added was an API for PartModules to change the price of a part.

That should make e-dog happy.

And Chris, I have totally removed the RC plugin itself and can still crash the game placing the RC parts symmetrically. Sometimes I have to work it a bit, and it might take more than one part. i.e. it triggers on the second part I try with.

They're also very hard to place symmetrically at all and I'm just not seeing why. I thought it might be the MODEL node, where only parts with MODEL{} would crash so I changed the stock parachute (mk16) to use a MODEL{} and that didn't do it. I thought maybe it was the missing surface attach node that was doing it so I tried removing Mk16's and adding one to the RC cone chute, to get the stock part to crash and RC cone chute to not crash but neither one worked. I just can't see what's different about those parts but there's something there...

Maybe it's because it has more than one MODEL{} node but I've seen other parts that have multiple MODEL and they don't do that.

So weird.

the chutes doesnt show up in the staging

it cant be deployed by staging and cant right-click to deploy either.

Is this on existing vessels? It's highly likely you need to rebuild your vessels for the game to properly register the new RealChutes PartModule configurations, since they've changed from 0.23 to 0.24.1.

Chris teleported us to 2142 ;) Does this mean we get teleport to surface systems instead of parachutes?

Granted, except that you retain your velocity vector and instantly incinerate ...

oh wait... this isn't the corrupt a wish thread?

Edit: bug report update

Got it Stupid Chris. It's definitely a stock bug and not Real Chute at all. I can reproduce it with at least one stock part, the large nose cone. Doesn't the cone chute part actually use a model that was based off of the nose cone mesh or do my eyes deceive?

Edited by Starwaster

Is there a way to change the chutes so that they're default time release is less than 6 seconds? If you have timewarp on, or you're just going too fast, you will crash into the ground before they even deploy properly.

There is a whole config menu, which is/was the point of RealChutes to start with. Access it by clicking on the chute in question while in the Action Group Editing window.

Is there a way to change the chutes so that they're default time release is less than 6 seconds? If you have timewarp on, or you're just going too fast, you will crash into the ground before they even deploy properly.
There is a whole config menu, which is/was the point of RealChutes to start with. Access it by clicking on the chute in question while in the Action Group Editing window.

Curiosity style hypersonic Duna chutes FTW!

You can probably ignore that. Not enough changed between 0.24 and 0.24.1 to really break RealChute.

Probably....

My radial chutes aren't working now, on a new ship (i.e., not one that was saved from 0.24). Completely unable to arm or deploy, it seems. On the plus side, it's also gone from the staging display, so I imagine it will be pretty easy to check in the VAB whether they'll work...

I wonder what went wrong.

My radial chutes aren't working now, on a new ship (i.e., not one that was saved from 0.24). Completely unable to arm or deploy, it seems.

Welcome to the forums!

It's much easier to fix problems with detailed information. You can read all about the information that helps and where to find it in this post:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24543-NEED-SUPPORT-Read-this-before-posting-No-modded-installs

It's completely possible that you have a conflict with another mod that stupid_chris and Starwaster aren't using, so those logs will say which mods you're using and where the breakdown is happening.

Pressure-deployment's minPressure value doesn't seem to be persisting here. If I set it up on the garage's AG window, when I launch the vessel and check the parachute's "info", the value "goes" back to 0.01. Consider the aforementioned "goes" as an "are", because even if I don't open the "info" panel, the parachutes behave and deploy as if set to 0.01 pressure.

Anyone else having this problem? I want to confirm if this is just a local problem or if it's something broken by v0.24.

Note: I was and am using KSP's 64-bit version 0.24".0" (Didn't update to 0.24.1 yet).

Edited by AlmightyR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.