[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Testing things out in sandbox mode, loading the provided presets doesn't seem to be working the way it should. Say I take a RC-001S RGU (1.25m probe core, weight 0.1t) and put the RealChute Cone Chute on it. The cone chute starts off with its defaults (1.25m size, 50m main chute deployed diameter, etc). I go to the Action Groups menu, select the cone chute, click "select presets", and choose the Main 0.625m preset. If we look at the RealChute_Settings.cfg, this preset should give me a deployed diameter of 25m for the main chute. What I actually get is a deployed diameter of 17m for the main chute. If I then click "select preset" and choose Main 1.25m, the deployed diameter I get is now 11m (should be 50m according to the preset). If I then click "select preset" and choose the Main 0.625m preset again, I get a deployed diameter of 15.5m for the main chute. If I click "select preset" and choose Main 0.625m again, the deployed diameter is now 11m.

If I remove the cone chute, put a fresh one on the probe core, hit "previous size" three times in the editor window to push it down to 0.625m size, and then select the Main 0.625m preset, I get a deployed diameter of 13.5m.

If I put a fresh cone chute on the probe core, hit "previous size" three times in the editor window to make it 0.625m size, and click "apply settings", I get a deployed diameter of 13.5m.

If I put a fresh cone chute on the probe core and click "apply settings" to use the automatic chute calculator, I get a deployed diameter of 17m. If I click "apply settings" again the deployed diameter goes down to 15.5m.

If I put a fresh cone chute on the probe core and select the 1.25m Main preset, I get a deployed diameter of 17m. If I load the Main 1.25m preset again the deployed diameter goes down to 15.5m.

Hypothesis: loading presets is invoking the "apply settings" automatic parachute size calculation code, which is overriding the preset settings.

Edited by ArcFurnace

Testing things out in sandbox mode, loading the provided presets doesn't seem to be working the way it should. Say I take a RC-001S RGU (1.25m probe core, weight 0.1t) and put the RealChute Cone Chute on it. The cone chute starts off with its defaults (1.25m size, 50m main chute deployed diameter, etc). I go to the Action Groups menu, select the cone chute, click "select presets", and choose the Main 0.625m preset. If we look at the RealChute_Settings.cfg, this preset should give me a deployed diameter of 25m for the main chute. What I actually get is a deployed diameter of 17m for the main chute. If I then click "select preset" and choose Main 1.25m, the deployed diameter I get is now 11m (should be 50m according to the preset). If I then click "select preset" and choose the Main 0.625m preset again, I get a deployed diameter of 15.5m for the main chute. If I click "select preset" and choose Main 0.625m again, the deployed diameter is now 11m.

If I remove the cone chute, put a fresh one on the probe core, hit "previous size" three times in the editor window to push it down to 0.625m size, and then select the Main 0.625m preset, I get a deployed diameter of 13.5m.

If I put a fresh cone chute on the probe core, hit "previous size" three times in the editor window to make it 0.625m size, and click "apply settings", I get a deployed diameter of 13.5m.

If I put a fresh cone chute on the probe core and click "apply settings" to use the automatic chute calculator, I get a deployed diameter of 17m. If I click "apply settings" again the deployed diameter goes down to 15.5m.

If I put a fresh cone chute on the probe core and select the 1.25m Main preset, I get a deployed diameter of 17m. If I load the Main 1.25m preset again the deployed diameter goes down to 15.5m.

Hypothesis: loading presets is invoking the "apply settings" automatic parachute size calculation code, which is overriding the preset settings.

Nah, you're having it wrong. The presets loads a setting for the editor window. The /only/ moment that the written deployedDiameter/preDeployedDiameter are used is when the editor screen should be in manual mode. The preset saves all the fields. It saves a configuration. But it also saves how unused parameters are configured. The presets are doing exactly what they should be doing. They are all configured to take the payload and make it land at the specified speed on the specified planet. The diameter of the chute is irrelevant, what you want is to land safely. 50m on a 10t ship and 50m on a 50t ship will have drastically different effects. You don't want to care about the diameter. Just let the mod do it's job and you'll land correctly.

If you really want to control diameter, switch to manual mode.

But yes, the presets call the application, it's needed.

are the stock chutes auto the realchutes ask for contrakt of the stock chutes . or must i work with the stock for contrakt?

I'm gonna guess you want to know if the stock chutes paired with RealChute compatibility will work in contracts? Then yes they do.

Nah, you're having it wrong. The presets loads a setting for the editor window. The /only/ moment that the written deployedDiameter/preDeployedDiameter are used is when the editor screen should be in manual mode. The preset saves all the fields. It saves a configuration. But it also saves how unused parameters are configured. The presets are doing exactly what they should be doing. They are all configured to take the payload and make it land at the specified speed on the specified planet. The diameter of the chute is irrelevant, what you want is to land safely. 50m on a 10t ship and 50m on a 50t ship will have drastically different effects. You don't want to care about the diameter. Just let the mod do it's job and you'll land correctly.

If you really want to control diameter, switch to manual mode.

But yes, the presets call the application, it's needed.

Ah, so it's supposed to do that, okay. That makes more sense. I think most of my confusion was with the weird stochastic effects (loading things in different orders gave different results), but on reflection, that's because the parachute was the majority of the ship mass, so the changing parachute mass altered the necessary parachute size for the target landing velocity.

So the presets are used for storing chute type / case size / target planet / target touchdown speed / sundry other minor settings, right.

Ah, so it's supposed to do that, okay. That makes more sense. I think most of my confusion was with the weird stochastic effects (loading things in different orders gave different results), but on reflection, that's because the parachute was the majority of the ship mass, so the changing parachute mass altered the necessary parachute size for the target landing velocity.

So the presets are used for storing chute type / case size / target planet / target touchdown speed / sundry other minor settings, right.

It stores everything you need. Just load it and it should give you the same performance whatever the ship, given it's within the parachute's capacity

So is there any code that could be made that measures the dry mass of the stage you put the parachute on? Because that would be very handy (something along the lines of "stage you just added the parachute to has a dry mass of x"<-- calculated by "dry mass of whole craft - dry mass of stage x items ") , I don't know what the mass of certain stages are, and it's impossible to measure :/

(if this is already implemented then you can have a go at me for being dumb ;P)

Edited by Boamere

Hate to be a pain, but it looks like the version on kerbalstuff isn't what it says it is.

RealChute_Parachute_Systems-v1.2.3.zip: contained .version still says 1.2.2, dll sizes don't match (though modification times do) - guessing it's still 1.2.2

RealChute v1.2.3.zip from mediafire appears to be the real deal.

Just curious, but are you aware there seems to be an issue with repacking chutes? If you forget to repack your chutes on a landed craft, and switch away from it, then come back, you cannot repack them, the game seems to think they are repacked and ready to go, but they wont deploy later on if you re-arm them. {just for clarity, I mean switch to a craft or object far enough away that the landed craft [used chutes] un-loads. It obviously doesn't do this if you eva a kerbal, and switch to the kerbal, but if you land a lander, then switch back to the main ship in orbit, without repacking the chutes first, for example}

Has the option for triple canopies been removed from the radial chutes?

As in you can't see the option anymore right?

heh, to be honest the first time I read this it sounded like "god dammit I'm still waiting to use this mod but only of those blasted triple chutes are no longer available for radials!" :P

Hate to be a pain, but it looks like the version on kerbalstuff isn't what it says it is.

RealChute_Parachute_Systems-v1.2.3.zip: contained .version still says 1.2.2, dll sizes don't match (though modification times do) - guessing it's still 1.2.2

RealChute v1.2.3.zip from mediafire appears to be the real deal.

can confirm this!

Edited by mecki

Huh, maybe to represent Kerbals stowing away inside the radial chute compartment before launch.

Then, when the chute is deployed, they are ejected via mortar to their screaming deaths!

Had to laugh loud when I read this! ;-)

IÄ'm sorry, of course I meant the stack parachutes.

I now there are Mods with nice Docking ports with chutes and lights integrated that work with ConnectedLivingSpace but I think it would be nice if RealChutes worked as well!

can confirm this!

Sorry, upload fixed.

Has the option for triple canopies been removed from the radial chutes?

Nope, its working fine here.

Had to laugh loud when I read this! ;-)

IÄ'm sorry, of course I meant the stack parachutes.

I now there are Mods with nice Docking ports with chutes and lights integrated that work with ConnectedLivingSpace but I think it would be nice if RealChutes worked as well!

Except parachutes are full on the inside, mortars, rope, the parachute. You can't just make someone move through it :P

The thread for the other mod in question seems to be a little dead so I thought I should ask here instead.

Is anybody else having a compatibility issue between this and the kerbquake mod? Whenever I have a parachute on a craft with realchute, it seems to override kerbquake and prevent the cabin from shaking. Has anybody else experienced this?

Except parachutes are full on the inside, mortars, rope, the parachute. You can't just make someone move through it :P

There are cases where a parachute container is mounted around a corridor. Stack chutes are useful because they allow mounting docking ports and escape systems on top. It'd make sense for them to have a corridor inside. Of course, that means the available volume for the chute will be smaller.

Chris...It's probably been suggested but since I didn't see it in the OP or the last few pages of this and the (now closed) Dev-thread, I'll go ahead and suggest it (again?):

Can you make an option so that the automatic calculator, while configuring a certain chute, considers just the current stage's weight? (based on the presence of a decoupler on the same stage as the chute or the next decoupler going up the stages, and summing the weight of all parts between the "top" decoupler and the next one down the chain [the parachute in question being in between])?

Right now it seems to be calculated through the whole craft. It isn't a major problem since you can make and (auto-)configure individual stages using the sub-assembly system, and them plugging them all together for the final craft; But still, I don't know about others, but I make A LOT of "one time wonders" (crafts completely and specifically design for one single mission), and I'm currently having to go back and forth a billion times between the parts tab, to check the dry weight of the parts, my trusty calculator, since math is a pain, and the AGM+Chute-Configurator, to manually adjust each chute.

I'll also be suggesting a per-stage wet/dry weight calculation on MechJeb (for the stage info panel) and EngineerRedux, since they apparently don't currently have it and it would also be useful for this and other reasons...

As usual, thanks for the mod! :)

-----

Oh! I will gladly put up with such little inconvenience if such a big update is coming within the next few days!

If you fail to bring this update within a week tho, I'll be making you work on the salt mines when I dominate the world (SOONâ„¢)! *[still] shamelessly puts pressure on Chris to release the fix update sooner.* (JK)

Oh, and one last thing: Since you did release the update within a week, I guess I'll spare you from the salt mines when I dominate the world (SOONâ„¢)...You will be working as a construction assistant instead...

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2012/8/31/9c5f0206-1a5c-4264-81cb-c6f6f0426392.jpg :wink:

i think i have a small bug, i cannot make any tweaks to my RealChute parts, either the scale of the parts or the parachute characteristics... is this a known bug or do i have to go into CSI mode?

i think i have a small bug, i cannot make any tweaks to my RealChute parts, either the scale of the parts or the parachute characteristics... is this a known bug or do i have to go into CSI mode?

Are you accessing the part through the Action Groups Menu?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.