[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

There is a whole config menu, which is/was the point of RealChutes to start with. Access it by clicking on the chute in question while in the Action Group Editing window.

.... Which doesn't change the problem of having to go into the config menu every single time I use RealChutes... I want to change the default so I don't have to do that.

.... Which doesn't change the problem of having to go into the config menu every single time I use RealChutes... I want to change the default so I don't have to do that.

So maybe you should use the nice preset menu wich allows you to save your favorite configs (how convenient!)

So maybe you should use the nice preset menu wich allows you to save your favorite configs (how convenient!)

The same menu that is being useless (at least for pressure-deployment) since the minPressure parameter is not being saved, and you need to configure it on-pad for every single chute at every single launch? :confused:

Well, at least it's just ONE config parameter that needs to be re-done...Not the whole thing...I give you that. :P

Same problem. It is no faster to go into the settings and load your preset than simply changing the deployment time. I guess perhaps I can change the default in the config file in the mod folder?

EDIT: Seems easy to edit everything in the config folder, nvm!

Edited by Halaberiel

the chutes doesnt show up in the staging

it cant be deployed by staging and cant right-click to deploy either.

I'm having the same issue. Freshly installed copy of KSP, only RealChutes mod installed, created different profiles and still having the same issue as lammatt... Please advise.

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before, I couldn't find an answer in search. I'm having a problem placing stack and cone chutes in symmetry. The parts are red like invalid placement. Clean install with no other mods. I've had this issue for a while, even before the most recent KSP update.

Alright, detailed info on the inert-chutes bug:

The problem occurs on both 0.24.1 and 0.24.2. I was hoping the hotfix in 0.24.2 would fix it, but it didn't.

What I did to produce the problem was load up the VAB, and put the radial RealChute parts on a simple ship with 3-way symmetry. Problems observed: (1) there are no parachutes in the staging display. (2) the action group manager shows no actions for the parachutes. (3) the RealChute config window is missing, also in the action group manager. (4) when launching (only tried in 0.24.1), I'm unable to activate the chutes either by right-clicking or by staging.

I didn't see anything interesting in the log, but here it is, just in case: justpaste.it/gdmb

It sounds like this occurs even with just RealChute, but for completeness, here's the list of mods I have installed (most of them using 0.24 builds, not 0.24.1):

• KIDS and NEAR (ferram's)
  • Kethane
  • InfernalRobotics
  • Final Frontier
  • Part Catalog
  • RealChute
  • RemoteTech2
  • Science Revisited
  • SCANsat
  • ScienceAlert (0.24.1 build)
  • TAC Life Support
  • Modular Kolonization System
  • additional plug-ins that the mods above include (TweakScale, ModuleManager, ModStatistics, etc.)

Guys, are you getting a warning from CompatibilityChecker? If so, nothing is broken but everything is /disabled/. If incompatible, CompatibiltyChecker disables RealChute. This is why you should read the warning and listen to it.

TL;DR: Wait for the update.

Guys, are you getting a warning from CompatibilityChecker? If so, nothing is broken but everything is /disabled/. If incompatible, CompatibiltyChecker disables RealChute. This is why you should read the warning and listen to it.

Not getting a RealChute entry in the Checker at loadup. So I'm guessing you're good...

I'm getting an incompatibility warning during startup. Sure it just needs an update for .24.2 compatibility. I eagerly await!

I'm getting an incompatibility warning during startup. Sure it just needs an update for .24.2 compatibility. I eagerly await!

As per NathanKell's post, since RealChute checks for just major updates- are you sure you're using the latest 1.2.2.2 build?

Then you are not on RealChute v1.2.2.2, you should update now.

Chris: you're only checking major and minor, so you're good. We're still on .24 :P

I'm aware, but I previously was, because I pasted your version of it :P So some people who did not update might be getting the warning.

Right, so I haven't loaded in Real Chute into my 0.24.2 install and I'm still on stock chutes. In fact the only mods are Ioncross, Module Manager, Stage Recovery and Mechjeb (no RSS. Important note)

I stuck a Mk1 on top of one of the big SRBs (from the NASA pack) so I could perform some... tests.

At one point I deployed the stock chute to try to pull myself off of the SRB, which failed and it continued to carry me on up... and up... and up.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

WkW399al.png

Ok... maybe Im just not getting it... but is there any way to have a chute only deploy on contact with the ground? Specifically a drag chute?

I have 'Deploy on Ground Contact' set to true in the settings for the part but upon testing the chute still deployed in the air while I was landing my shuttle. And I cant set the 'Deployment Altitude' to anything less than 10 meters...

Ah, grabbing the most-recent version of RealChutes does fix it. Whoops, I feel silly now.

Although, to be fair, I don't see any specific mention anywhere that a compatibility warning causes RealChute to disable itself. And, for instance, I'm getting a compatibility warning on NEAR still, and I can certainly confirm that THAT is working. Probably worth putting an explicit message about in an easy-to-spot location?

Ok... maybe Im just not getting it... but is there any way to have a chute only deploy on contact with the ground? Specifically a drag chute?

I have 'Deploy on Ground Contact' set to true in the settings for the part but upon testing the chute still deployed in the air while I was landing my shuttle. And I cant set the 'Deployment Altitude' to anything less than 10 meters...

It's been awhile since I landed my space plane, but are you manually trying to deploy or arm the chute?

If so, that is your mistake. Drag chutes that are set to deploy on ground contact are considered to always be armed, at least for ground contact. You literally don't have to do anything with the chute, no arming or deploying

The hardest part I found about that feature was learning to trust it. Just don't touch the chute and it should be fine.

Edit: in fact, set altitude/pressure for whatever you like if you feel you might need to use it while in flight. Then you have a drag chute for landing and for... whatever else you configured it for.

It's been awhile since I landed my space plane, but are you manually trying to deploy or arm the chute?

If so, that is your mistake. Drag chutes that are set to deploy on ground contact are considered to always be armed, at least for ground contact. You literally don't have to do anything with the chute, no arming or deploying

The hardest part I found about that feature was learning to trust it. Just don't touch the chute and it should be fine.

Edit: in fact, set altitude/pressure for whatever you like if you feel you might need to use it while in flight. Then you have a drag chute for landing and for... whatever else you configured it for.

Oh... so I dont need to arm it then? Well, that would explain it... and I just tested that, and it worked as you described... Thanks!

Oh... so I dont need to arm it then? Well, that would explain it... and I just tested that, and it worked as you described... Thanks!

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many times I botched things trying to figure out how to 'properly' deploy it. I felt like such an.... something or other.

Sounds like it either needs a simpler interface/conceptual model... or failing that (probably too late for changing the model), a redesign of the info-window. Right now, the info window basically is just like a read-only settings window - it simply line-by-line restates the chute's settings. Maybe a more english sentence like summary would be better? Like, instead of "Deploys on ground contact: true", that line would read "Auto-deploys on ground contact."

Then again, thinking about it, maybe this setting should in general be renamed to that - less chance of misunderstanding imo. Until starwaster explained it, i too thought that "deploys on ground contact" simply defined if a chute CAN deploy while on the ground - NOT that it will auto-deploy.

While on the topic of confusion - spend an hour trying to debug my modded settings for realchute. The case weight seemed to be wrong, even though i set it differently. Things started to seem fishy, when instead of using MM-files, i outrightly changed the case mass setting then RC part files, and it still wouldn't change! That was when i resorted to doing a search for the number 0.3 across all RC files. As you can guess, this is how i found out, that the case-mass is actually defined multiple times per partfile: First there seems to be a generic setting which however doesn't do anything. Then later down in the partfile, there are case mass definitions per chute diameter, and it is those that actually matter.

So, let's summarize: An RC-compatible chute partfile now has:

- mass: doesn't do anything

- case mass: doesn't do anything?

- per diametre case mass: overrides all of the above.

That could be easier/less confusing?

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many times I botched things trying to figure out how to 'properly' deploy it. I felt like such an.... something or other.
Sounds like it either needs a simpler interface/conceptual model... or failing that (probably too late for changing the model), a redesign of the info-window. Right now, the info window basically is just like a read-only settings window - it simply line-by-line restates the chute's settings. Maybe a more english sentence like summary would be better? Like, instead of "Deploys on ground contact: true", that line would read "Auto-deploys on ground contact."

Then again, thinking about it, maybe this setting should in general be renamed to that - less chance of misunderstanding imo. Until starwaster explained it, i too thought that "deploys on ground contact" simply defined if a chute CAN deploy while on the ground - NOT that it will auto-deploy.

I think, for deployment on ground contact, there just needs to some documentation for it. I made the (logical) assumption that the chute still had to be armed inorder to deploy when the craft touched down. Additionally deployment on ground contact only makes sense for drag chutes anyway and drag chutes shouldn't really deploy while in the air anyway...

So, let's summarize: An RC-compatible chute partfile now has:

- mass: doesn't do anything

- case mass: doesn't do anything?

- per diametre case mass: overrides all of the above.

That could be easier/less confusing?

You're overthinking the mass issue.

Why are you even worrying yourself about it? Are you planning on making some chutes that use RC?

Part mass is always important and it is set automagically by RealChute based on case mass + (mass of all chutes carried in the case)

So case mass should be set to something reasonable for that size and part mass should be something reasonable based on the default case size but will change anyway once the ship is 'in the field'

Why are you even worrying yourself about it? Are you planning on making some chutes that use RC?

Yes, and not "planning to" but "doing".

Part mass is always important and it is set automagically by RealChute...

So it is NOT important as a setting in configfiles. It cannot be important, when it is ignored, can it?

...based on case mass + (mass of all chutes carried in the case)

Which of the two modules where it is defined? The case mass in the realchute module, that seems to be ignored or the case mass in the proceduralchute module, which is per size and is actually used?

I can understand there being a part mass setting that isn't used - probably parts must have that attribute for ksp to not throw up, even if the value is later overridden anyways. But why is case mass defined in two different modules?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.