[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Hi whorlwind,

If you wouldn't mind, how exactly do you go about of setting MJ's additional features within the tech tree?

Yeap, they're just in the part.cfg of the two mechjeb parts, there's a module in each MechJebLocalSettings that contains all the unlockTechs for the different mods. There aren't different parts associated with the modules, so I'd imagine you wouldn't do a separate branch just for mechjeb, but my suggestion for placement would be along the probe line, as it seems a little light on usefulness at the moment and the automated piloting system seems like it would fit there.

Sorry for the delay, I apparently forgot to actually hit post. :)

In the same place where you set your range multiplier (Remotetech2_settings.cfg) also change the consumption multiplier to like 0.1 or 0.05; that will give a more realistic power draw.

Ah, no I see what I've done wrong. I had missed copying RemoteTech_Settings.cfg from the RPL Tweak Pack over into the RT2 directory. Doing that rebalances things. So everything is looking good.

Cheers!

The mechjeb tech node unlocks are in the part.cfg, there are entries that allow you to state which node the different modules are unlocked by. It's very very easy. Looking forward to the new release.

They also already correspond to nodes in the tree and the costs aren't too bad either although unmannedTech/advUnmanned is probably a bit too cheap, too early.

flightControl - 250

advFlightControl - 500

fieldScience - 300

unmannedTech - 10

advUnmanned - 50

And I can confirm that these are actually unlocking - I took T1 probes 'advUnmanned' and it now shows me docking automation. You probably just want to re-arrange where things are to be sensible.

Oh, sorry. I haven't unlocked the full tree obviously in this mod, and with the change in node names I didn't see anything that seemed to match up with what the mechjeb nodes were called. Is there somewhere you can see what the original names for the nodes are?

Could you look into fixing the placement of the AIES pack's Fairings? In order for the fairing's to work correctly you need a small nose rocket separation motor (supplied in the AIES pack). With this particular tech tree I have unlocked the fairings (AIES's as well as KW's etc), but the small nose rocket motor is missing, rendering the AIES fairings useless.

One part of using this mod that's giving me trouble is landing probes. The always deployed omni has low range, anything with range gets destroyed by turbulence on re-entry even when it's safe behind the shield. So I find myself having to re-enter such that the probe passes directly over KSC so the low range omni works and everything else is deactivated. The once the airspeed is down to a tolerable level I can pop a longer range whip up before KSC drops under the horizon.

How are other people dealing with this? A swarm of low equitorial sats? Planes parked around the equator? I really don't fancy a whole load more 20 minute launches just to set up low coms, please tell me there's a trick to it ;)

How are other people dealing with this?

I use the remote tech computer to program the descent. I set periapsis at 60-70 km, and as I approach Kerbin, I order parachutes to pop a short while after the probe will hit its periapsis, and then fold up the comms and hope for the best. That works. Usually.

Look into adding ground stations to RemoteTech 2. When you create them, put the altitude of the ground station at 10K or so to account for the fact that real radio signals do not require a perfect line of sight (they can go around objects or bounce through the atmosphere at the expense of a loss of a couple of db). I put up four groundstations at 90 degree intervals around the equator and they cover the entire approach right up to when the chutes deploy.

Full coverage GEO comms sat's, by the time you can send a probe to orbit that will run into these issues you can easily have a series of 50MM omni/400GM dish (plus) GEO comms sats, 3 should do 95% of the time, adding a polar orbit pair should get you to "99.9%" coverage. Bit of a pain in the butt, but it will aid your future missions greatly

I just found out that a geosat dish pointed at a sat with just the dipole active worked. I thought the probe was a goner but it was still connected somehow, I didn't know that you could point a dish and overcome the range of the dipole. I wasn't aware that RT2 did ground stations either.

Because yes, I have a full set of geosats and full Mun coverage too. I just recovered a low orbit Min probe, that's all the easy science done I suppose bar popping a probe out to solar orbit. Anyone know the fuel cost to land and return from say 100km Mun orbit?

from earth to moon and back: aprox 20K delta-v (can be done with less, but requires well planned launch window, burns, return window) if you look at the earlier posts in this thread you will find the RSS delta-v budget chart, it contains very good info

from earth to moon and back: aprox 20K delta-v (can be done with less, but requires well planned launch window, burns, return window) if you look at the earlier posts in this thread you will find the RSS delta-v budget chart, it contains very good info

Here's a more detailed delta-v map. http://i.imgur.com/WGOy3qT.png

The rocket I used for a direct to Mun and back spacecraft had about 18.5 km/s of delta-v. If you have a separate lander, it would need at least about 1.8 km/s for landing and another 1.8 km/s for taking off from a 100 km orbit.

99fBPIi.png

Edited by metaphor

Here's a more detailed delta-v map. http://i.imgur.com/WGOy3qT.png

The rocket I used for a direct to Mun and back spacecraft had about 18.5 km/s of delta-v. If you have a separate lander, it would need at least about 1.8 km/s for landing and another 1.8 km/s for taking off from a 100 km orbit.

Thanks Metaphor and everyone who answered. I just got into a 50 x 50km orbit of the Mun from liftoff with 14.4k dV leaving me 6000 on the lander so I should be fine. Hopefully I can unlock some new engine tech soon, the 1125kN job is just too weak for any decent sized payload. My lander is about 7 tons but it would appear that I can redesign to cut out a fair bit of fuel for future landings.

One part of using this mod that's giving me trouble is landing probes. The always deployed omni has low range, anything with range gets destroyed by turbulence on re-entry even when it's safe behind the shield. So I find myself having to re-enter such that the probe passes directly over KSC so the low range omni works and everything else is deactivated. The once the airspeed is down to a tolerable level I can pop a longer range whip up before KSC drops under the horizon.

How are other people dealing with this? A swarm of low equitorial sats? Planes parked around the equator? I really don't fancy a whole load more 20 minute launches just to set up low coms, please tell me there's a trick to it ;)

I wouldn't describe it as a *swarm* of low equatorial sats. I have six, at an altitude of 1200 km, separated by about 60 deg. to give full equatorial coverage. I'll get around to polar later. As long as you've copied the RT2 config. out of the RPL_TweakPack (which I had initially forgotten!) so your comm ranges are longer this works perfectly well.

One thing I keep running into is part size mismatches. KW, AIES and NP all introduce a lot of parts at the 1 m, 2 m and 3 m size. But there are no adapters to go 1m->1.25m, 1.25m->2m, 2m->2.5m, 2.5m->3m. Is there a package out there with adapters of these sizes? I looked around Spaceport but didn't find one that looked like it would have them. For now I've just been tolerating higher drag. The stretchy conical tank would do this but at my low tech level it can only do 0.5m->0.625m.

Also, the basic capsule is 2 m. But there is no 2 m heatshield that I can see. Suggestions?

One thing I keep running into is part size mismatches. KW, AIES and NP all introduce a lot of parts at the 1 m, 2 m and 3 m size. But there are no adapters to go 1m->1.25m, 1.25m->2m, 2m->2.5m, 2.5m->3m. Is there a package out there with adapters of these sizes? I looked around Spaceport but didn't find one that looked like it would have them. For now I've just been tolerating higher drag. The stretchy conical tank would do this but at my low tech level it can only do 0.5m->0.625m.

I find this a bit frustrating too. I think perhaps the stretchy conical tank should be available earlier, and the size should match with the largest tank available in the node you have.

Procedural Interstage :)

(In proc fairings)

Also, could have sworn I added a 2m heatshield in RO. But anyway, the stock 1-person capsule doesn't need an extra heatshield, it has one built in. When you right-click on the part in the catalog, on the right it mentions Heat Shield.

Procedural Interstage :)

(In proc fairings)

Also, could have sworn I added a 2m heatshield in RO. But anyway, the stock 1-person capsule doesn't need an extra heatshield, it has one built in. When you right-click on the part in the catalog, on the right it mentions Heat Shield.

As you mentioned the procedural fairings and heat shield, that remind me of one thing, about my test about using FAR's fairing logic for DeadlyReentry... For unknown reason e-dog has given these fairing parts quite high maxTemp and it turns out to become a pretty good procedural heatshield although its smooth surface, its thinness & its white color are quite unsuitable... :P

I suggest as this modpack aims for realism, that you increase the ratio between the fuel mass and tank mass. Standard in KSP, its 1:9... The external tank of the newer retired shuttles had a ratio of 1:28, thus requiring that you have ridiculous size space craft just to reach orbit. Although I enjoy the challenge (have landed on the moon, and brought a satellite into a stable orbit around it (wouldn't be stable if it were THAT realistic)), it isn't realistic.

Unless I am missing something and you already have done it? :P

Keep up the excellent work man, really looking forward to this!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.