Apparently you can get atmospheric burn on liftoff...

technion

Oh yeah, you can get this pretty easy if you spam SRBs on stuff. Didn't know you could get it with such a little engine/setup but I'm not surprised.

I've also seen it on an otherwise totally normal rocket, while experimenting with gravity turns. If you turn too early and get up to orbital speed when you're still in the 30k range you'll get some great fire effects :D

A lot of space plane launch profiles involve flying horizontally at 19-22km at speeds of around 2km/s, and that can lead to your plane transforming into a fireball :P

I worry that this either the atmospheric effects or my spaceplane launch profiles may have to be tweaked when reentry heat starts to overheat parts, because the effects of heating would make my plane's wings burn off in an instant!

Do you know how many times I have gotten those on liftoff? I tend to overbuild in the first place, and then, being lazy, I take my already overbuilt launcher, take the 50 ton, 2 man, overbuilt lander off, and then strap a 1 ton probe on it. I think you can guess how that turns out...... I actually went to eve with my Minmus lander yesterday, and I think I could take it to Duna and Dres!

Edited by minimuffin
I did not like the italics on the word Minmus

Do you know how many times I have gotten those on liftoff? I tend to overbuild in the first place, and then, being lazy, I take my already overbuilt launcher, take the 50 ton, 2 man, overbuilt lander off, and then strap a 1 ton probe on it. I think you can guess how that turns out...... I actually went to eve with my Minmus lander yesterday, and I think I could take it to Duna and Dres!

The best thing about this is that if you made the effort to obey the limitations of terminal velocity throughout the entire ascent you'd be able to go even further.

All you're doing when you get fire is wasting fuel against drag/air resistance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.