[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Hmmm... did you modify any configs? The format changed, so if there were any configs that you added, they may have to be modified. Aggresive 2-14 should be REALLY aggressive. In my full mod configuration I was saving nearly 3GB of memory. Are those values the saved memory or the config reporting? Could you please post your KSP.log file?

No, I didn't include any of my previously modified configs when I tested both 2-13 and 2-14 because I knew how much you were changing. Here's my 2-14 log.

Edit to add: Those values are what is being reported in the log file.

On 2nd edit: I just tried it with 2-12 again to be sure (2-12 log file here). Memory saved 2-12: 1,482MB. Memory saved 2-14: 714MB.

Edited by lincourtl

Decided to try Interstellar. I saw a post a few pages back regarding the resource data, and I see where the config was updated, but I'm still having an issue.

This is what the spectrometer shows with only Interstellar:

http://i.imgur.com/PqddVQK.jpg

When I add the BoulderCo folder, I get this:

http://i.imgur.com/8g01bx8.jpg

This is with 2-14 aggressive, but I tried basic as well. I started to try and mess with the config file myself, but I figured I'd post it here first. :)

I've the same problem with the 2-14 aggressive version. Here is an output_log with only KSPI : output_log.zip

Yes, soon. I am also working on texture caching as ecat demonstrated, so load times will be vastly improved.

Cool, thanks :)

(Getting crashes when fully loaded, I will switch back to the old version until you update :P)

Edit: yeah old 1-1 version doesn't crash on load plus it loads quicker :/

Edited by Boamere

Call that much faster????

I call it much, much, much faster :) Nice. And my Interstellar parts are now whiter than white again (or whatever colour they are supposed to be).

Many thanks.

The newest update doesn't go well with AlternisKerbol mod. The loading gets stuck in newduna_nrm.TGA. A file with just 3MBs from the texture folder of Alternis. I waited for 10minutes and no progress. The .Exe was running, though. It didn't freeze or anything.

The previous version, 2-14, had no issues with Alternis

If I remove just BoulderCo from the game folder, the game loads normally

2-15-basic fails - reliably for me - at 'BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/kerbin1'. No log either, since KSP freezes up completely.

Edit: Saw later that it does load, it just takes really long... so ignore this. ;)

Edited by JohnnyBB

The newest update doesn't go well with AlternisKerbol mod. The loading gets stuck in newduna_nrm.TGA. A file with just 3MBs from the texture folder of Alternis. I waited for 10minutes and no progress. The .Exe was running, though. It didn't freeze or anything.

The previous version, 2-14, had no issues with Alternis

If I remove just BoulderCo from the game folder, the game loads normally

If that is a problem, I am gonna have to wait to update cuz I love that Alternis Kerbol mod

Another issue here with 2-15 (agressive or basic). The game freeze at launch on Boulder/Clouds/Textures/Kerbin1 (several minutes). I have no crash folder or message, it just stop loading.

KSP.log is here.

EDIT : without ATM, KSP loads fine.

Edited by Argelle

Thanks for all your hard work!

Loading time with the cached version is much improved -- in my case it's halved from about 8 minutes to about 4 minutes.

I'm still only seeing 714MB saved in 2-15 Aggressive compared to the 1.5GB savings I saw in 2-12 Aggressive. I'll happily take the 714MB, but I'm wondering why the huge difference between what you were doing in 2-12, and what you've been doing in 2-14 and 2-15 (I missed the 2-13 release).

Also, the amount of memory saved reported in the log decreased from loading 2-15 the first time to loading the cached version -- 714MB down to 701MB. That's not significant, but thought I'd mention it.

Another issue here with 2-15 (agressive or basic). The game freeze at launch on Boulder/Clouds/Textures/Kerbin1 (several minutes). I have no crash folder or message, it just stop loading.

I'm loading KSP as I type and saw the same thing - KSP appeared frozen at that point for about 2 minutes. Eventually it did resume loading, however. It doesn't appear to be doing so any faster than in prior versions.

EDITED: Yeah, loading times don't seem changed much at all for me. Similarly, with 2-15 Aggressive, the log is showing only 657MB saved, compared to prior versions saving over a gigabyte. Any savings is very welcome, but just wanted you to know.

Edited by LameLefty

Whats the difference between standard and aggressive? And, considering I use quite a few mods, about 50% of which are covered by this mod, can I expect to see a visible performance boost?

The aggressive version halves the texture sizes, and knocks out MIPMaps (which alone subtracts about 1/3 the size from those textures using them), as well as just compressing the textures. The basic version just does the texture compression. At least that's how I understand it.

I'm loading KSP as I type and saw the same thing - KSP appeared frozen at that point for about 2 minutes. Eventually it did resume loading, however. It doesn't appear to be doing so any faster than in prior versions.

Thanks for the info. I did wait for 4 minutes before giving up (windows console report KSP.exe not responding) but I'll try again. Is the very very long loading time only on the first run, or is it still long when caching is done?

EDIT: first run with 2-5 aggressive is up to 7'37 loading time, but reduce memory usage to 1.6 Go !!

Run two : 2'03 (= close to 1'49 w/o active memory :) ) and still memory use 1.6 Go +++ yahoo +++

[LOG 18:31:26.483] TextureCompressor: Memory Saved : 415MB

Concistant with KSP usage w/o Active Memory : 2.11 Go (1.6 Go + 415 Mo saved)

Edited by Argelle