[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

ozraven: yikes! That might explain why RAM usage is high...

Prior to the 3-7 update, I was playing with the ATM code seeing what had changed to make it not play nicely with 0.25 and this happened but it was also using a lot more memory as well, so it was easy to spot. I'm surprised that it has gone unnoticed. I have my full complement of mods, now, and memory usage doesn't seem to be too far off from 0.24.2 numbers. Certainly not enough to assume that there was a (potential) problem. I have to say I'm eager to see what affect a change will have on memory loading. :)

Edited by ozraven
Version number correction.

The last version isn't dropping my fps anymore, thanks for fixing that. Now if I could find out what mod is now causing a fps drop during reentry... I think its Universal Storage, but not sure yet.

Interesting. Although my debug menu also shows duplication, my memory footprint in the main menu, immediately after loading, is 1Gb lower with basic ATM installed. (1.5Gb w\ATM, 2.5Gb w\o ATM). I use OpenGL (without it, the game crashes on load even with ATM).

So, this is interesting. I use batch files to load in only the parts I need so my memory usage is always low and I don't really need this mod. But I've been having trouble on load recently - what I would see happen is 3.3GB of VRAM would be in use when the loading screen finishes all its work. However, once it blanked and began to load into the main menu, my VRAM usage would suddenly balloon and crash the game with 3.6-3.8GB as the last reported usage.

Now, with ATM installed I get 3.5GB VRAM usage after the loading screen is done (no doubt larger due to the texture duplication issue), but during the transition to the main menu my VRAM only increases a couple hundred MB and stays stable.

Once rbray gets the new release out with the texture dupe fix I'll look at this again...

https://github.com/rbray89/ActiveTextureManagement/releases/tag/3-8

Duplication fix, min size, & extension based loader disable.

Thanks for you hard work rbray!

Good news:

- Duplication seems to be fixed

- SXT error has been resolved

- Saved about 700MB on my install at KSC screen

Bad news:

- With ATM active I can't access the VAB or SPH

- Can access other KSC buildings, but either can't leave, or leave but then no other buildings are available and can't exit from menu.

Thanks for you hard work rbray!

Good news:

- Duplication seems to be fixed

- SXT error has been resolved

- Saved about 700MB on my install at KSC screen

Bad news:

- With ATM active I can't access the VAB or SPH

- Can access other KSC buildings, but either can't leave, or leave but then no other buildings are available and can't exit from menu.

There is a mod conflict... with stock + ATM it is fine...

Once rbray gets the new release out with the texture dupe fix I'll look at this again...

This is a bit puzzling still. I have the latest release and I can confirm that there are no longer duplicate textures showing up in my database window - yet my VRAM load is still 3.5GB. By the time I enter a flight scene I'm pushing 4GB. (Game crashes around 4.05GB)

Both this release and the previous release I used untouched Basic versions, and did not alter the contents of my GameData folder, which is currently 474MB. If I force KSP to load with an empty GameData folder it enters the main menu with 1.5GB VRAM usage. That's pretty crazy - 474MB somehow turning into 2GB!? Yea I get that textures can be uncompressed into memory but, still. Wow.

Same behavior without ATM tho - loadscreen finishes at 3.2GB but then I crash on my way into the main menu

Edited by Gaiiden

Gaiiden & mitiya : My stock KSP is at 1.4GB at the main menu with ATM. I don't have my config here but it should be with both rescale set to 1. With an empty gamedata I was at something like 700MB. That's both without opengl.

Something strange is going on for you.

You should post your config and a log.