[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Its not bad, most mods use TGA, its the Squad folder that is the big offender.

My first run with 2.2 after it took a while, my max memory was 1.9MB. After I closed out and restarted it was at 2.5MB and was going up to 2.7MB while watching it.

First release of something new always has some problems. I will wait until its fine tuned. No more game testing for me for a while.

Alas, it crashed out for me with lots of errors and warnings in the log. Excerpts below, but here's the full log if you want it.

[LOG 00:24:31.193] Cannot open MBM file 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NothkeSerCom\Parts\6scomp 4.mbm'
[WRN 00:24:31.195] Texture load error in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NothkeSerCom\Parts\6scomp 4.mbm'
[LOG 00:24:31.290] TextureCompressor: Saved: 2799698B

The original texture on that part was a 1,025 KB mbm so a savings of 2,800 KB seems a tad optimistic, unless I'm reading that line wrong.

LOG 00:24:33.595] Load(Texture): PorkWorks/Spaces/centrifuge1internal/gridpanel
[ERR 00:24:33.717] Texture 'PorkWorks/Spaces/centrifuge1internal/gameboy_normal_NRM' is not readable, Compress will not work. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[LOG 00:24:33.719] Load(Texture): PorkWorks/Spaces/centrifuge1internal/gridpanel_normal_NRM
[LOG 00:24:33.753] TextureCompressor: Saved: 65372B
[LOG 00:24:33.754] Load(Texture): PorkWorks/Spaces/centrifuge1internal/model000
[ERR 00:24:33.849] Texture 'PorkWorks/Spaces/centrifuge1internal/gridpanel_normal_NRM' is not readable, Compress will not work. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[LOG 00:24:33.851] Load(Texture): PorkWorks/Spaces/centrifuge1internal/model001_NRM

That last line is where the game crashed out.

Plus I noticed that some of the files are getting renamed improperly. For instance, the mk1pod's 'model001.mbm' gets renamed to 'model001.mbm.origN'. That is not the only one I found like that.

If you're going to go this route of modifying original files, it might be better to do it as a standalone script like PolecatEZ did with his texture reduction packs.

Alright, I added the code to revert the files back to normal if the folder containing them is removed from the FOLDERS config section. This will mean anything NOT KW, B9 or Squad will be reverted unless added back into the config.

Downloading and Testing now.

EDIT: Some clarification requested. Is this recursive in that it still does default mbm compression along with the TGA conversion / reduction?

EDIT 2: Wow. Switching from 1.1 to 2.2 and now 2.3 and my memory usage increased by 800 megabytes from 2.4 gigabytes to 3.2 gigabytes used in the VAB. Also getting some weird metallic reflections on parts like the mk 1 (starter) pod now.

EDIT 3: Correction last; 2,213,000 KB with 1.1, not 2.4

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

Downloading and Testing now.

EDIT: Some clarification requested. Is this recursive in that it still does default mbm compression along with the TGA conversion / reduction?

EDIT 2: Wow. Switching from 1.1 to 2.2 and now 2.3 and my memory usage increased by 800 megabytes from 2.4 gigabytes to 3.2 gigabytes used in the VAB. Also getting some weird metallic reflections on parts like the mk 1 (starter) pod now.

EDIT 3: Correction last; 2,213,000 KB with 1.1, not 2.4

I'll have to look into the shimmering. The memory usage increased probably because the part folders have to be added to the config. The mbms are converted and then later compressed if they are tga.

Uh, I may have missed that instruction.... checking that. :blush:

Ok, that did restore the textures, but now they are darker than before, and seem to have a real strong light effect to them, as if one side always has a brighter light source than the other. Is that normal, or have I borked something else up?

Ok, that did restore the textures, but now they are darker than before, and seem to have a real strong light effect to them, as if one side always has a brighter light source than the other. Is that normal, or have I borked something else up?

Hmmm... Do you have a screenshot for comparison?

I can also vouch for this.

Hmmm... Do you have a screenshot for comparison?

here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80kA-XeDQQlSm15aEotSFlTUHM/edit?usp=sharing {without mod}

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B80kA-XeDQQlNTlLUjNvX2ZST2c/edit?usp=sharing {with mod}

I had to use old screens but I think I got enough for you to see the texture and lighting difference.

What I have in the folders section. I don't have B9 or KW installed. Will see how this goes.

FOLDERS
{
folder = Squad/
folder = BoulderCo/
folder = nothke_DROMOMAN/
folder = MagicSmokeIndustries/
folder = HooliganLabs/
folder = Kethane/
folder = StretchyTanks/
folder = KAS/
folder = Keramzit/
folder = BoJaN/
folder = KSPX/
}

Hi went to the new version it broke KSP so badly it wouldnt load waited 15 mins to see if it was a time thing, pulled the mod out and it just constantly crashed to desktop had to restore from my backup copy which was your old version. Its working fine again now

Tryed new version , added all mods (exept warp plugin folder , still freezes on it) - works just fine. Memory with version 1-2 was about 2.7G , with 2-3 it's now 2.5G

Parts look normal , however I tryed it thru teamviewer on mobile , thus may missed some glitches.

Umm, no. I mean, NO. This (v 2-3) is WAY too aggressive! :( I want it to REDUCE texture memory usage, not COMPLETELY REMOVE textures from my parts! AIES and the BobCat DEMV Mk. 5 'Ant', just to name a VERY few, were solid white.

Going back to 1-1, and staying there until/unless I'm certain that this plugin won't wreck my game. It's too bad, I was hoping for a performance improvement, but I don't need to improve performance that badly.

Umm, no. I mean, NO. This (v 2-3) is WAY too aggressive! :( I want it to REDUCE texture memory usage, not COMPLETELY REMOVE textures from my parts! AIES and the BobCat DEMV Mk. 5 'Ant', just to name a VERY few, were solid white.

Going back to 1-1, and staying there until/unless I'm certain that this plugin won't wreck my game. It's too bad, I was hoping for a performance improvement, but I don't need to improve performance that badly.

Did you restart the game after your first boot-up with revision 2-3? Next time you loaded up the game the textures likely would have been there again.

Sadly I partially have to agree with this. I haven't seen any textures disappearing yet but even when no light sources are present some textures seem to be glowing while the adjacent one stays dark.

I too am reverting to 1-1 awaiting a next update.

I'm fine with the aggressive texture compression; it's not any worse than having to play with quarter-res textures. My only question is, is there an option to simply include ALL folders in GameData? You see, I'm a lazy person.

One effect I get is either the ground around KSC is darker or the ground right around the buildings, launchpad and runway is lighter. Don't know which is affected. Did the same with PolecatEZ's reduced size textures.

Before using this compression mod I put the Squad folder all back to stock.

Fixed the normalmaps issue. Just a config change removing the alpha dropping. As for people talking about how they want more/less memory reduction, take a look at the config. There are a few options that you can use to achive more/less memory usage.

mipmaps will add texture smoothing at distances, but increase memory usage by about 30%

scale divides the texture by the amount specified. (use powers of two though)

max_size restrics the dimensions of textures to that specified. Useful, as it just affects larger textures.

So with the explicit folder selection, other mods won't get touch by the memory reduction mod, unless specified?

Exactly. That should fix a lot of people's concern with long loading times and incompatabilites. Folders can be added in one-by-one, instead of a shotgun approach.