[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

WOW :0.0: what mods were you using to get you a savings of 1.5 GB?

God, uh... I'm using about 25 mods.

RemoteTech2

TAL Spherical & Tordial Tanks

NovaPunch

KW Rocketry

TAC Life Support

Kethane Pack

KAS

KJR

Quantum Struts

Crew Manifest

FusTek Station Parts Expansion

LTech Science

Orbital Construction Redux

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Protractor

MechJeb

Simple Part Organizer

DoPToOT Station Parts

TriggerTech Kerbal Alarm Clock

TriggerTech Alternate Resource Panel

Surface Lights

UbioWelding

Infernal Robotics

There's probably a few others too.

Edited by JordanL

So I found out that the reason *some* of the textures are not readable, is that they are MBMs that are set to be a normal/bump map (byte 12, 0-indexed). When I remove the flag, they load as readable textures. I am currently working on a way to set the byte to tell KSP it is a normal texture, then load it up, then convert the byte back so we don't screw stuff up (closing during load could still mess stuff up). I should be able to scale the textures this way using a bicubic filter.

Could very well be coming in the set of optimizations slated for the next release.

That would be nice, but somehow I don't think it's so. Whether it is included in the 0.23 optimizations or not, thanks for your work on this. You've allowed me to use far more mods on my memory starved machine.

I went from "I should restart KSP after I got into LKO..." and frequent crashes due to running out of memory to a memory usage around 2.5GB! Thank you so much! I was already very fond of your Clouds & City Lights but I really love the possibilities you opened up with this mod. With FAR, B9, KER, Kethane and C&CL I was really scratching the 3.5GB mark and had to uninstall some mods I really wanted to try (Nova/KW).

So does this mod reduce the graphics quality of all objects in any noticeable way?

I'm a bit scared to download due to the fact my options are at half res already

No, not at all.

I could not notice any difference between the textures now and before, even comparing screenshots.

I play at max res.

So does this mod reduce the graphics quality of all objects in any noticeable way?

It does but only if you inspect something closely on a high res pack such as B9. There's some noticeable blurring when you zoom in closely. It's not that visible during normal gameplay though.

I'm a bit scared to download due to the fact my options are at half res already

technically yes (you have to be a videophile to notice, i certainly cant), but practically no. especially considering the fact that you can go up to the next power of two and still come out with a smaller texture.

its actually an amazing format, all colors are encoded as 5'6'5, but thanks to floating point interpolation and range reduction capabilities of the format, it can achieve output colors at greater depth than an 8'8'8 uncompressed texture.

Edited by Nuke

I also can say that this mod works very well. I was hitting the RAM limit often (~3.7 GB) and now my RAM usage is down to 2.8 so almost reduced by a whole gigabyte! Well done. I can now enjoy all my mods and more with full res textures :)

I have a question to ask.

As far as getting things up and running in KSP, this little tweak is excellent and gets things packed in tightly. But the usual thing that makes me wary with KSP is the ram creep over gameplay duration. Do the textures 'unpack' as they are called into use by on-screen elements of the game? And if so, does this mod even remotely touch on 'repacking' them and freeing up RAM from section to section?

Seems like if anything, the more your swap from VAB to flight, and back to VAB, and so on, the more the RAM usage creeps to the maximum without putting anything back. By all reasonable logic, when I'm just viewing the KSC complex, it should really be sitting at that same level of RAM usage every time I come back to it. Vehicles aren't loaded, textures aren't needed, but RAM has crept up a few hundred megs and stays that way.

I have a question to ask.

As far as getting things up and running in KSP, this little tweak is excellent and gets things packed in tightly. But the usual thing that makes me wary with KSP is the ram creep over gameplay duration. Do the textures 'unpack' as they are called into use by on-screen elements of the game? And if so, does this mod even remotely touch on 'repacking' them and freeing up RAM from section to section?

Seems like if anything, the more your swap from VAB to flight, and back to VAB, and so on, the more the RAM usage creeps to the maximum without putting anything back. By all reasonable logic, when I'm just viewing the KSC complex, it should really be sitting at that same level of RAM usage every time I come back to it. Vehicles aren't loaded, textures aren't needed, but RAM has crept up a few hundred megs and stays that way.

Well the textures are only loaded once... If anything, the ram usage would be parts and physics memory being used. I dont know the rate at which the GC works, so I dont know how often stuff is cleaned up.