Running in Linux FIXES THE SOUND BUG on my computer (also it runs in 64 bit)

Mulbin

For those like me who have had constant problems with the sound skipping in KSP, I have found the cause.... windows 7. I have tested in windows XP and the bug is completely gone. I am now playing KSP in Ubuntu (Linux) and not only is there no sound bug, it also has a 64bit version of the game with improved frame rates!

Seriously... download Ubuntu, it takes 5 minutes to install and doesn't effect your windows 7 installation.

I never realised just how fast munbug actually is, I got so used to seeing it in slow motion :)

Edited by Mulbin

Yeah. Linux doesn't work for everyone, unfortunately. If it works for you, great. If not... well, either you run KSP in Wine/Windows or you can spend an awful lot of time making Linux behave. It's configurable as all hell, the tricky bit's working out what needs changing xD

What about mod compatibility though?

Most mods worked fine for me. Only one I had issues with was the welding mod, which caused KSP to crash whenever welding a new part. This was many versions ago, so might even have been fixed.

Last year I installed Ubuntu, and I ended up rage-deleting it's partitions after 4 days trying to configure the right nVidia driver for my GPU, only to loose X-org server every single time, and having to fight in text only mode to get it working again. I'm not touching it until I get another GPU at least, or even further... as I don't like either Ubuntu Unity UI or Windows "formerly known as Metro" UI, I'm not in a hurry to change xD

I guess I've been lucky lol. I downloaded ubuntu, put it on a disk and was playing 64bit ksp 20 minutes later. Installer was way more user friendly than windows, sets up its own partition. The built in driver manager installed my geforce driver at the click of a button, didn't have to download from nvidia.

I'll do some fraps testing later to compare frame rate.... but for me everything is insignificant compared to the perfect, skip free sound!

All the mods on my modded copy of ksp are working just fine.... except for kerbal alarm clock which crashes to desktop... but that may not be down to ubuntu as I've not tried it on .22 on windows to compare.

But to repeat my first post...

If you have the sound skipping bug and dont want to try ubuntu, install a partition with windows xp. Its only windows 7 that causes the bug (at least on my computer). Although I have to say installing and using ubuntu is easier than windows xp... and free.

I guess I've been lucky lol. I downloaded ubuntu, put it on a disk and was playing 64bit ksp 20 minutes later. Installer was way more user friendly than windows, sets up its own partition. The built in driver manager installed my geforce driver at the click of a button, didn't have to download from nvidia.

I'll do some fraps testing later to compare frame rate.... but for me everything is insignificant compared to the perfect, skip free sound!

All the mods on my modded copy of ksp are working just fine.... except for kerbal alarm clock which crashes to desktop... but that may not be down to ubuntu as I've not tried it on .22 on windows to compare.

I feel like I've been lied too, Not sure why...

Linux is definitely not for everyone. I never could get it to work on my laptop. I have got it to work well on my old desktops however. But like other's have already stated, it can be a pain to get the quirks worked out and get it working like I want. It is interesting that you say Windows XP is helping with the hiccups. I have had my doubts about anything that claims it can compile a source to run on multiple platforms like Unity does. There are just too many differences between OS's and getting something like that to work requires a massive amount of attention to detail. I hope that .23 improves or cures the hiccups, as well as the music bugs, and the map audio bugs. These things combined have drove me away from playing the game like I used to.

Edited by Otis

But to repeat my first post...

If you have the sound skipping bug and dont want to try ubuntu, install a partition with windows xp. Its only windows 7 that causes the bug (at least on my computer). Although I have to say installing and using ubuntu is easier than windows xp... and free.

KSP on WinXP was completely unplayable for me. Kept crashing after a few launches due to memory leak problems when using a 32bit OS.

I could care less about the sound bugs. The only reason im even thinking about trying Linux is to negate the ram cap. I want to just go mod crazy and not have to worry about anything. Other then compatibility.. BUT.. Linux sounds like a hassle and I have ZERO programming knowledge. I mean ive never tried Linux. Never even googled it.. would one recommend I stay away.. or to try it? I am savy with computers, but if I have to break open the cmd script forget it..

I could care less about the sound bugs. The only reason im even thinking about trying Linux is to negate the ram cap. I want to just go mod crazy and not have to worry about anything. Other then compatibility.. BUT.. Linux sounds like a hassle and I have ZERO programming knowledge. I mean ive never tried Linux. Never even googled it.. would one recommend I stay away.. or to try it? I am savy with computers, but if I have to break open the cmd script forget it..

Just give it a try. It is very rare you need to use cmd/terminal these days with a modern distro like ubuntu.

Does the linux version not run on Unity??

Yes, But unity has 64bit support for Linux based operating systems... not for windows (yet).

You should forget Linux then.

Its really not that painful, but you'll have to crack open a terminal session to get it done.

I have no idea what a terminal session is...

No offence, but you clearly haven't installed Ubuntu recently. By far the easiest OS I've ever installed, just put the disk in the drive and it sets everything else up for you very simply... drivers included. Was far simpler installation than windows.

Linux still suffers from preconceptions based on what it used to be 5-10 years ago.... it's a very slick, user friendly OS now, not a toy for computer nerds. Not the best choice for many applications, but well worth a look for KSP as its so damn simple to set up compared to windows.

Ubuntu also has a prettier desktop than windows in my opinion :) I like minimalist design...

Ubuntu_13.10_release.png

Edited by Mulbin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.