KSP's Effect on Your Interests.

Tank Buddy

How has KSP chaged you?  

1. 1. How has KSP chaged you?

• Inspired me to learn more
    • Inspired me to pursue a career
    • Sucked up all of your free time
    • It's just a game

I have always been interested in science, but in the last few years I have been particularly interested in Engineering. I had previously done some space related educational activities, but KSP really sparked my interest in in Aerospace engineering and space in general.

Since I live very close to Goddard space center I have been interested in having an internship at NASA after meeting some NASA interns. Even better, I am very confident that I will study aerospace engineering in college and pursue a career in it.

I just wanted to thank Squad for creating this inspiring and wonderful game that I always look forward to playing. I have been motivated to learn more about rocketry and the mysteries of the Universe.

Enough about me, how about you?

Text response and/or poll vote would be much appreciated!

I only have to say that i designed a scale rocket capable of taking off and landing whit parachutes, it will use R-Candy mix as main (and only) fuel.

Edit.- Added A photo of the second design (First technical revision to the concept but is in spanish :P)

Oab6XDD.jpg

Edited by Zaryulenko

It inspired me to volunteer for the Mars society and advocate space exploration to my friends. It inspired me to double on Math and Physics classes and take AP classes over the summer for credits so I can get into NASA. It inspired me to exercise much, much more so I could become a astronaut. It inspired me to do a lot.

And, and it inspired me to hook up a camera and sensors to a gold foil box on a weather ballon with a parachute attachs, and take some very nice photos.

I can't say any of the poll options are true in my case.

KSP hasn't sucked up all of my free time any more than other games have, although nearing on 70 hours since Steam release is pretty big for me considering how much time I spend on said other games whilst juggling university work and other commitments.

It hasn't inspired me to pursue a career, because I know how much extra information that would require and I consider my interest in space more of a casual interest or hobby than something I'd like to take up professionally.

I can't say it's "Just a game" because it's not "Just a game". It is one of the most realistic and entertaining simulation games I've ever played and will continue to play for a long time. Saying that's it's "just a game" would be doing an injustice to all that is Kerbal.

It hasn't really encouraged me to learn more either, although this option is probably more true than the other 3. I started playing KSP a few months before I studied orbital mechanics in A-Level physics so rather than encouraging me to learn more it allowed me to make sense of what was being taught. I guess you could say that my interest made me learn it more effectively (whatever that means), but I would've had to learn the stuff anyway to pass the course :P

In the end, KSP has given me the opportunity to play a game which ties in almost exactly with the interests I have outside of those I plan to continue as a career. Rather than staring at the Google News feed for "Space" I can make my own images and explore planets by myself :)

I've always been interested in space, the universe, and such. I was pretty much self-taught on a lot of things at an early age, I just loved reading about the physics of space, and the planets.

I haven't been playing KSP for all too long, almost a year now

but before that, I was already up to date on all things space.

To me, it's a game that I thoroughly enjoy playing, and it just so happens to line up perfectly with my interests.

I'm in my senior year of mechanical engineering school, and although I really would love to work in aerospace, it just really isn't my thing. I tried taking a few classes, but there are more... er... terrestrial things that I'd rather do with my career. My main academic interest is manufacturing.

Even before I started playing KSP, I had(still have) an app on my ipad that beeps at me whenever a new exoplanet is discovered :)

I knew litterally nothing about space flight and very little about the space race before I got KSP a year ago. Led me to learn a great deal about spaceflight history, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz..... it started a whole new hobby.

It is also the only game I play now... saved me a fortune in video games ;)

It's definitely not "just a game." If people think that , then they're playing it wrong, no offense meant. (one of my friends views the game that way) It creates new interests for people who actually get involved with the game. My thoughts are so complex nowadays, about life, relativity (and I finally think I see it making sense now), the laws of physics, orbital mechanics, logic, how things can even be alive - you get the idea. Most people just take life for granted (that's changed for me now - life is really special and I am grateful to be living in this world). Orbital mechanics, for example - I never knew there were so many complex maneuvers, speed varying according how close you are to the planet. I thought space was orbit. It's not just orbital mechanics though. I feel as though I'm really well rounded now, coming up with my own theories for everything. My brain is crazy now, I feel so special. But I'm not alone. It's great to see that so many other people have been blessed by KSP as well. So many things have changed for me. I've had some personal issues that I don't feel comfortable sharing yet, but KSP was helping me through a bit, even though I seldom got to play it. I have a huge passion for space and just science now, thanks to KSP. I follow everything in the space world. My friends always laugh when I say it, but KSP really did change my life. It's their loss for living dull lives where they're not really wanting to know and explore life and the universe. KerbalEdu is a great idea and hopefully it spreads the cause of KSP. :)

Adding on to what Mulbin said, there's an obvious effect that results from playing KSP, if you play it passionately. You learn about space history and the various programs that people and countries have carried out. For example. before playing KSP, I never knew there was a whole Apollo mission plan with lunar orbit rendezvous, or a command module. I just remember the lunar module and never could quite figure out how they stored all that within the Saturn V. I always remembered the Space Shuttle as a kid and thought it was cool, but never really dove into the realms of space science. Now, I think I may want to pursue an interest in space for a career, but those are just dreams right now, there's still a long way to go before that happens. I really do question a lot about how the universe (or multiverse or cosmos, if that works for you) works, and I have to give Squad a big thanks for developing KSP. My family really likes KSP and thinks it helps me, too. Thanks a billion, Squad. And I mean that. :)

Edited by Woopert

Well, I first just wanted a major in Astrophysics, when that time comes. Now, I want one in Rocket Science (not building rockets, mind you), too.

THANKS, KSP. YOU'VE RUINED MY future COLLEGE SOCIAL LIFE BY GIVING ME ANOTHER MAJOR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.