[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

Hmm, download isn't working for me either. Hopefully taniwha won't mind if I provide a link to a dropbox copy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6b66wzzecmdmti/Extraplanetary_Launchpads_v4.3.1.zip?dl=0

This link still has the glitch where the UI won't show up, I tried to github and that fixes it but it introduces a new bug where it can't progress past Select Ship, so that won't work :\

End of the day and toying with the pad, I finally got everything working :)

I did notice something weird though wich also left no trace of it in the logs.

When both the small workshops were full of rocket parts and manually transferring it to the big storage tank, the workshops didn`t return to producing rocket parts.

After awhile I just sent up the default blue one and after connecting it, they went all back to work.

Once they were all full, I moved the parts to the tanks and again they were stuck with the no room error in the overview window, but after time warping a full ~28 hours, it started working again.

Is there a limit on the production in the code besides not using stupid kerbals? :P

It could be because I use the karbonite version + cfg fix, so wouldn`t be too suprised if it`s something on my end ;)

Looking forward to start production at my mun base instead of hauling back and forth from kerbin, thanks continuing EL! :cool:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Trying to prevent my silly question, so here is the question and answer for the rest of the world ;)

Does adding multiple launch pads to the base help speed up construction of the vessels?

Building one right now, but with almost 134k rocket parts, it`s going to take abit more then awhile lol

Rocket parts them selfs aren`t a problem, 5 work shops and 21.6k full storage, just the build speed.

posting to the thread is much better as others might find your question and my answer (or somebody else might aswer), but oh well.

Adding multiple pads will not help, though it will allow you to have multiple builds going at once (at the expense of taking even longer to build any).

However, adding multiple workshops (with kerbals) will help greatly: the more workshops filled with productive kerbals, the faster builds will go: all workshops within a single vessel pool productivity (this is why the righ-tclick menu has both Productivity and Vessel Productivity: the former is for that one part, the latter is the result of pooling).

Thanks again for the quick reply with answer taniwha :D

Hi!

I wonder if it is possible to alter EL in such a way that a LaunchPad part could be made that is *replaced* by the structure that is being build?

Something like a one-time LaunchPad.

I think this could help with creating big structures. Imagine a building that is growing part by part by building structures that automatically attached again contain a 'LaunchPad' part until finished!.

This is possible now, I tried it with the orbital LaunchPad part, but you always have this LaunchPad part in between.

So, it would be nice if it could be replaced instead of spawning a part on top of it.

What do you people think?

Testbuildings:

http://imgur.com/r0Vcknz

http://imgur.com/JgZmwD1

Edited by rainerd66

Hi. Not sure where I'm going wrong here (or if it's even me going wrong), but I can't seem to build anything on my orbital construction dock. I have a workshop (big blue-green one), metal, rocketparts, fuel. The guys in my workshop are converting the metal into rocketparts, but when I select a craft to build in the UI, nothing happens.

Image album here: http://imgur.com/a/QlB4a

Hi. Not sure where I'm going wrong here (or if it's even me going wrong), but I can't seem to build anything on my orbital construction dock. I have a workshop (big blue-green one), metal, rocketparts, fuel. The guys in my workshop are converting the metal into rocketparts, but when I select a craft to build in the UI, nothing happens.

Image album here: http://imgur.com/a/QlB4a

My bad. I am using 4.2.3. Would help immensely if I switched to 4.3.1 (I assume). Doing that now, and will report tomorrow if it worked or not.

UPDATE: success. Now only to request a feature... some form of built in notification when there's a new version (like kerbal alarm clock does)

Edited by alphaxerosyx

Good to see your problem resolved :)

Most likely just something with the old version and 0.25.

Taniwha, tiny question/request if I hope you wouldn`t mind ;)

Would it be possible to have a small/tiny arrow on the pad show the build direction?

Just finished the ship while toying around with the other pad, but when finalizing it... lets just say that I learned the orientation the hard way, but maybe handy for new users, or just build on the runway instead :blush:

bH6CwJd.png

Engine is clipped in the reactor modules, well, oops... guess not many users use EL this way :sticktongue:

I wonder if it is possible to alter EL in such a way that a LaunchPad part could be made that is *replaced* by the structure that is being build?

This is something I have considered, but I don't expect I'll implement it any time soon. Mostly too much effort for too little gain (in fun. I actually expect a loss there).

The orbital dock can have just a docking port under it, or if you prefer, probe core, RCS thrusters, monoprop and a port. Or... :)

Really, to me the orbital dock is not the core of orbital construction, but rather the very first step: the true construction comes afterwards using tugs to jockey the newly built segment into position.

Very similar story for landed construction, though I did make it so pads are no longer required (but still have their benefits) via the new surveyed builds.

Surveyed builds are fantastic for building bases as you get control over both position and orientation of the built segments. If you want to build "up", then I recommend Infernal Robotics and KAS to build cranes, or get very good at docking a flying vessel with a landed target.

In short, the design goal of Extraplanetary Launchpads is not so much building stuff on-site, but rather getting the kerbals (and thus the player) more involved in the process.

UPDATE: success. Now only to request a feature... some form of built in notification when there's a new version (like kerbal alarm clock does)

While I use KAC, I hate that feature (and disable it as soon as it annoys me (I forget to do so when I install it)) and thus will not inflict it on others.

Would it be possible to have a small/tiny arrow on the pad show the build direction?

I really dislike editing Skykooler's parts (for a variety of reasons, not least of which being it's a RPITA to do so).

As for the orbital dock: I had considered doing something when I created it, but two things prevented it: 1) the way it's modeled precludes such (I used blender's array modifier and my .mu exporter supports that), 2) I decided that knowing which way was which should be part of the challenge.

Surveyed builds default to starboard (rocket)/bow (plane) to the east, but give you full control over the orientation... possibly too much }:>

That said, there /is/ a way to know: The default orientation of the parts in the VAB (pads and dock, at least) matches KSC's launchpad. This means that so long as you know which side of the part is which, you know how the spawned craft will be oriented.

Really, why do I have to do everyone's engineering? :P

BTW, nice base :)

I have the beginnings of a Munar base..

Before I go any further, can I ask whether the survey station has the full capabilities of a workshop? I'm looking to start converting metal to rocket parts, and then building rockets. I don't want to bring all the stuff for that, and then find out I need a big blue workshop to be able to do anything with the metal. I'm playing career mode, so I need to be as cost effective as possible, so I need to know how much I can get away with before I start building.

The survey station does not make parts.

That funky tower in the command pods section will convert metal to parts (it's actually the original converter).

If you don't want to ship the big blue workshop or the rocket builder tower(I don't blame you: getting it into LKO can be a challenge), then I suggest shipping enough RocketParts to build one on-site. This is how I got one into LKO in my save (I didn't have good enough 2.5m parts).

Thanks for that orientation tip :)

Base got half whiped out, but as I was rebuilding it more lag free it was a nice accident lol

I`ve had a brainfart why the runway texture isn`t loading for me in 0.25 (32bit) as they changed the image loading.

HouFCOq.jpg

In the latest release there is no .png for the runway while there is for all other parts :P

Tip for every one else:

Alot of parts can be used as root in the editor even though KSP doesn`t it like it being the root part once in space.

Always use a normal root part or a small probe core or items can vanish into thin air along with everything attached to it.

To easy to make a mistake as you don`t have to actually send it there :sticktongue:

Edited by Kamuchi

My eventual strategy is working... I have one last craft to send to the Mun.

Started with the survey station. Next to it, I planted a tower. Linked it up. Then metal bin. Then smelter. Last part will be an ore bin with augers attached. At that point I should be production-ready.

and right now I remember I also need a rocketparts bin with plenty of space lol. However, provided I don't need to actually store parts to use them (from workshop tower straight to craft), I could probably get away with building that on site. After it's all in place, I might build (on site) a slightly better version of the whole base, replacing light, travel-friendly parts with huge monstrosities better suited to staying on the ground (though hopefully mobile enough to move on to another spot when/if resources run out)

alphaxerosyx: Ah, now that's the "bootstrap" spirit :)

Kamuchi: I haven't encountered any parts that KSP allows to start as root but does not like being root in-flight. And no, .mbm won't be the problem: the problem is the .mu file specifies "Material" and "Runway" as its textures. Try renaming model000.mbm to Runway.mbm.

MrabEzreb: I have not been able to reproduce your problem. Check your logs for exceptions.

.25 Texture Issues...

Ex_L_Fix_Demo.png

I did some hack-ety bashing to this mod trying to get the Runway and Launch Pad 2 textures to work properly.

Now referring by Parts folder names...

runway changes:

Commented part.cfg "texture = Texture.png" to "// texture = Texture.png"

launchpad2 changes:

Commented part.cfg "texture = Texture.png" to "// texture = Texture.png"

file "pad.png" renamed to "model000.png"

file "model.mu" start with hex offset 7C746 and delete through end of file

file "model.mu" start with hex offset 7C746 and add 0C 6D 6F 64 65 6C 30 30 30 2E 70 6E 67 00 00 00 00

(which is byte 0C (indicating length of 12), the text "model000.png", 4 bytes of null/00)

...it seems simple enough but that's not how I got to those changes :s

Sorry if this is the wrong way to go about it, but hopefully it will be of use to taniwha or someone who knows what they're doing on the source side.

Quick question. Is there an in-game settings dialog for EL, and how do I find it?

For some reason my builds seem to happen instantaneously and without any cost in rocketparts, and I don't remember ever selecting that.

mkrco: once the initial setting is done, there is no dialog, but it is easy to fix.

1. Go to your save directory: <KSPDIR>/saves/[savename]
  2. Make a backup of persistent.sfs (always good advice when editing your save)
  3. Open persistent.sfs in your favorite text editor and search for ExSettings
  4. To use resources when Kethane is not installed and not in career mode, change ForceResourceUse to True (resource usage is automatically forces if either the game is in career mode or kethane is installed).
  5. To use progressive builds, change TimedBuilds to True

The rest of the data in the ExSettings node is just GUI stuff and scenario stuff.

CP44: your advice for the runway looks good, but the pad looks ... highly suspect. Thanks for the heads-up on that texture= line, though: I hadn't noticed it.