[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

goldenpsp: Sorry, that comment wasn't as well written as it could have been. I actually very much do want background builds, just not that simply implemented.

Wisq: It's stored in the ShipInfo node in the Settings node in the ExSettings SCENARIO node in your persistent.sfs. BuildWindow is for the in-flight build window.

goldenpsp: Sorry, that comment wasn't as well written as it could have been. I actually very much do want background builds, just not that simply implemented.

Wisq: It's stored in the ShipInfo node in the Settings node in the ExSettings SCENARIO node in your persistent.sfs. BuildWindow is for the in-flight build window.

That makes more sense. you have done amazing work with the detail of the mod so far. That being said, a not quite perfect background build model sooner would be nicer than a perfect one way down the road.

Edited by goldenpsp

Ah ok, glad you've got some thought going into onrails support. :) Definitely a great mod.

Ah ok, glad you've got some thought going into onrails support. :) Definitely a great mod.

Please stop calling it "onrails". You go on-rails the moment you hit the "." key, and support for that has been there from the beginning.

But yes, I have been thinking about it since before I even started working on timed builds Actually, before I even thought of doing timed builds, just in different contexts. Doing background builds (or anything) properly is not a simple thing to do in KSP.

KSP is definately not a casual game. I just installed this mod along with a long list of others. Spent about 3 hours last night designing a decent drill/rover/converter for the Mun. Havent tested it at all yet.

Im wonder how easy it will be to build some massive B9 HX ship using this mod. Would be about the only way to get the HX lineup in orbit.

Im wonder how easy it will be to build some massive B9 HX ship using this mod. Would be about the only way to get the HX lineup in orbit.

I once tried to make a monster with 700 tons dry mass. It was inspired by ships like from Event Horizon, or 2001: Space Odyssey. It even had a warp drive... Unfortunately, it was a slideshow, too many parts. And I cheated materials to build it - I was afraid of getting lags just when delivering enough containers with rocked parts, not to speak about all other things like fuel. :D

You can build a ship you couldn't get up otherwise. You still have to get there required amount of rocket parts (one way or another), but I can imagine a mining base on Minmus, which would supply a Minmus orbital station, where would you build your ship. Just watch the parts count in editor...

Isn't the recycling bin supposed to yield yocket parts, if you don't have Kethane installed? Had a recycling bin mounted directly to the hex-huge rocket part container (the 11.2k storage), and nothing has been yielding. Do I need to link it any specific parts?

Build order is just recycle bin, directly mounted to the rocket part container, an rcs ring, docking clamp, attached to the space dock. Chews up my parts when I send them in, but no yield of parts.

Okay, I *still* can't get the survey unit to work. It looks like it's not recognizing the survey stakes, as the only pad it lists is "pad-0", and the build never moves off of 0%. I'm obviously missing something critical. What do I need besides the survey station (2 smart kerbals inside), the survey stakes, and a supply of rocket parts (test ship requires 403, I have 2000 attached, and the survey station recognizes this)? I've placed 2 stakes, both marked origin, with the same name. As I understand it, that means it should place the ship halfway between them, right? I don't care about orientation.

Okay, I *still* can't get the survey unit to work. It looks like it's not recognizing the survey stakes, as the only pad it lists is "pad-0", and the build never moves off of 0%. I'm obviously missing something critical. What do I need besides the survey station (2 smart kerbals inside), the survey stakes, and a supply of rocket parts (test ship requires 403, I have 2000 attached, and the survey station recognizes this)? I've placed 2 stakes, both marked origin, with the same name. As I understand it, that means it should place the ship halfway between them, right? I don't care about orientation.

Dunno. I tested recently with a similar setup except I put down 4 stakes in a square and it worked.

Well I got everything setup but I have a few issues...

1. My lauchpad 2 seems to slide around after building a ship on it.

2. After building a ship sometimes the Launchpad destroys the resource rover connected to it. (Swings it around on the KAS connection)

Im using KAS to link multiple rovers together. (resource mining, smelting, etc..)

launchpad 2 is a skittish beast. I've had trouble with it stock to the top of a large tank. I suspect it might have some collider issues as I've seen similar behavior when opening the in-line docking port and the doors clipped with other parts of my ship.

I have had a lot of success with the Hooligan Labs launchpad on the Minmus flats (though it did flutter a little). The fact that the Minus flats are limited to Minmus, and then not all of Minmus is part of what led me to create EL's survey-ed build system and get launch clamps (launch stabilizers) working with it.

just out of curiosity, is there a place to toggle progressive builds? I am realizing I must have said no when I started my current save, but did not really understand the ramifications. I'd like to switch it if possible without having to start over, but I was unsure where this setting is saved. I have perused thru my persistent file but did not see anything the stood out.

Im not exactly sure how the survey stakes work. I placed one for the base, one for +x, one for +y and one for +z in kind of a triangular pattern. Seemed to work well. You can use launch supports this way which is nice.

Just got a Minmus mining operation setup. Still need to send over a Kethane Rover and Survey crew.

Really enjoying this mod! :D

Jarin: right-click on the survey station and check that productivity > 0. Everything else necessary seems to be there.

What is required for productivity, aside from having kerbals in it? How much "crew" does the unit require?

goldenpsp: look for ExSettings, then changed TimedBuilds from False to True.

onefstsnake: Survey builds will allow you to build a pad, and with a bit of creativity, ensure it is level :)

Hmm, I guess I am still confused then. I checked my settings and TimedBuilds was set to true. But I thought one of the things about this setting is that I could start a build without having sufficient rocketparts, but I had encountered a build recently where it would not let me start because it said I needed the full amount first. Maybe that is a separate setting?