Atlas V Parts for RO/RSS

BahamutoD

(WIP) Atlas V Parts

Meant for realism overhaul/real solar system.

66868faf4008869e0e7a14ff4d6d317a-573x500.jpg

0AdikZI.png

In an attempt to reenact the Curiosity mission in the Real Solar System mod for ksp, I decided to create the AtlasV-541 that lifted the MSL as realistically as I could. I made the models to scale and used the same mass, thrust, and ISP as the real parts, according to an online source. (http://www.spaceflight101.com/atlas-v-541.html).

Currently included is the RD180 (twin engine main booster), and the SRBs.

My texturing is sub-par, but these are pretty much placeholders until I decide that the parts are worthy of putting more effort into.

The problem is that putting the amount of fuel into the stretchy tank to give it the same burn time as the real rocket makes it much taller than it should be, and it still doesn't get the right amount of dV. The first stage will only get to a suborbital trajectory after which the second stage (Centaur with an RL-10 producing around 100kn of thrust(not yet modelled)) will not make it to orbit in time, let alone Duna.

I kept having to make giant, hideous monstrosities in RSS in order to get anything done (a mun landing, or an interplanetary trip), so I made these parts hoping that copying their specs from the real rockets would make them work realistically without having to spam boosters. Since that hasn't been accomplished I'm not sure what to do next.

In any case, I am making these parts available for anyone to modify, improve, or make suggestions.

The RD-180 is not a modular engine, but it is configured for LiquidFuel + LiquidOxygen which makes it only compatible with Modular Fuel Systems.

Download v0.1

Album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
07.jpg Edited by BahamutoD

Do you think you could try taking over the ULA Pack? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37274-United-Launch-Alliance?highlight=United+Launch+Alliance

You can find a really good Atlas V model in this thread. Also, a good Delta II and a decent (but buggy) Delta IV. It could use an Atlas III (essentially, a new, smaller core and decoupler to match) and more Delta variants.

Do you think you could try taking over the ULA Pack? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37274-United-Launch-Alliance?highlight=United+Launch+Alliance

You can find a really good Atlas V model in this thread. Also, a good Delta II and a decent (but buggy) Delta IV. It could use an Atlas III (essentially, a new, smaller core and decoupler to match) and more Delta variants.

Seconded! You'd make a great modeler!

Since ksp does not have a way to have a thrust curve without a plugin, might I suggest averaging the two thrust levels of the Atlas V (vaccun, sea level) to about 3990kn. Just a suggestion, feel free to criticize it.

This is using a plugin, so can actually have a proper curve. But for this, it needs to have ModuleEngineConfigs, even if the config is the same as default engine vaules.

• 1 month later...

I am very interested in this project. Please let me know if you wish to solicit input on textures. I've been quietly working on a variety of photo real textures for various mods, a focus of that has been LFT systems and exterior insulation ... but I need to contact their creators individually before sharing any results from that. I would like nothing more than to see this develop into a beautifully textured and dynamic Atlas model...oof... it's exciting just typing that. Hey then maybe we could get to work on a Boeing capsule to put on top of it.

are the solid boosters just retextures of the KW boosters?

I downloaded the alpha and immediately strapped those nifty new solids to my LEO capsule system and the models look new to me. I am eager to help texture them as well because they work great and fit a nice spot between the smaller and larger KW solids and they look fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Oops, sorry I didn't realize people were posting here. No the models are my own, although they are based on the same SRBs that the KW ones are based on of course. I've abandoned this project since I stopped playing RSS a while ago (got frustrated with the super massive rockets) but I might come back after I finish my regular ksp career, lol.

Oops, sorry I didn't realize people were posting here. No the models are my own, although they are based on the same SRBs that the KW ones are based on of course. I've abandoned this project since I stopped playing RSS a while ago (got frustrated with the super massive rockets) but I might come back after I finish my regular ksp career, lol.

I have just the rocket for you

• 3 months later...

Bahamuto, are you going to ever start up this project? Cause it'd be really cool if you could make a RL-10A-4-3 for the second stage. Also, because you talked about the fuel tanks being annoying, could you possibly also make a first stage fuel tank? I could do the .cfg work if you'd like. Just PM me if you consider any of this.

Cheers, CP

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 11/26/2013 at 3:12 PM, BahamutoD said:

(WIP) Atlas V Parts

Meant for realism overhaul/real solar system.

66868faf4008869e0e7a14ff4d6d317a-573x500.jpg

0AdikZI.png

In an attempt to reenact the Curiosity mission in the Real Solar System mod for ksp, I decided to create the AtlasV-541 that lifted the MSL as realistically as I could. I made the models to scale and used the same mass, thrust, and ISP as the real parts, according to an online source. (http://www.spaceflight101.com/atlas-v-541.html).

Currently included is the RD180 (twin engine main booster), and the SRBs.

My texturing is sub-par, but these are pretty much placeholders until I decide that the parts are worthy of putting more effort into.

The problem is that putting the amount of fuel into the stretchy tank to give it the same burn time as the real rocket makes it much taller than it should be, and it still doesn't get the right amount of dV. The first stage will only get to a suborbital trajectory after which the second stage (Centaur with an RL-10 producing around 100kn of thrust(not yet modelled)) will not make it to orbit in time, let alone Duna.

I kept having to make giant, hideous monstrosities in RSS in order to get anything done (a mun landing, or an interplanetary trip), so I made these parts hoping that copying their specs from the real rockets would make them work realistically without having to spam boosters. Since that hasn't been accomplished I'm not sure what to do next.

In any case, I am making these parts available for anyone to modify, improve, or make suggestions.

The RD-180 is not a modular engine, but it is configured for LiquidFuel + LiquidOxygen which makes it only compatible with Modular Fuel Systems.

Download v0.1

Album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

07.jpg

The download link don't works, when I click on the link a 404 error appears

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.