New gamemode

So I realize that career mode has just been added and should be fully completed before adding a new gamemode, but I'm not saying this would be in .23 or anything.

But anyways, I had an idea recently about a new gamemode called Tycoon Mode.

It would basically be sandbox mode, but it would be more like having a commercial space company than a government space program. I just have a quick list of ideas here:

- You would randomly get "challenges" (somebody wants you to launch a satellite, you are asked to launch a space station,etc.)

- Money!

- Buying stuff (Spacecraft parts cost money, fuel costs money, paying astronauts maybe, etc)

- Selling stuff (Sell surface samples, spacecraft, resources when they are added, etc)

- Stock market? (Maybe being able to make an IPO or something)

Well I'll add to that list later as i get new ideas for this.

PS

if any modders like the idea you should make a mod (just sayin... probably wont happen though:()

Edited by mr_ducktape_man
hopefully clearing up some confusion that this may be a mod request

AFAIK, the exact way money and missions will be managed was not yet mentioned by squad.

It's possible that we have both modes on carreer, or that the carreer works in a way simmilar to your suggestion, which IMO would be great if you have to pick a mission out of several, to still allow me to play it my own way.

This is the eventual goal of career mode. The devs are just building it from the ground up, it's not all implemented yet.

This may be more of a mod request and may get moved. I also thought "new game modes" was something on one of the Do-not-request lists, but I can't find it.

This is the eventual goal of career mode.

OP's idea may not be exactly what the devs are thinking so it could constitute a new game mode or way of conducting a career.

I don't like the challenges idea (I don't like the game doling out any sort of directives, for that matter) and the stock market idea implies shareholders who dictate what I do, but I would love to see a system of buying and selling that included rare resources from other planets, giving us opportunities to create trade routes and such.

This sounds almost like a 'rollercoaster tycoon' idea which seems interesting, but I feel would be more of it's own game then a mod.. or at least a mod so massive that it is basically it's own game. Either way I'd like to see a concept video to further grasp what this would become.

Ok so I am working on some concept art

And basically the "challenges" would be in a new building (or the R&D one could be re-used) that would attach a notification bubble when you have a new challenge.

Note: You would be able to deny and choose challenges.

Challenge is a bad word for it - maybe customers?

The building would be a "headquarters" building of sorts.

Maybe space tourists could come through it (I'm not sure about this though)

Some challenges (customers) I have come up with

• KermanTV

- Will pay a small price for a Kerbosynchrounous satellite launch

• DunaOne (Basically MarsOne because I couldn't think of anything else)

- Will pay for a base on Duna and crew launches to the base (EVA or landing within 500m of base)

• If anyone else has some ideas feel free to post :)

Edited by mr_ducktape_man

OP's idea may not be exactly what the devs are thinking so it could constitute a new game mode or way of conducting a career.

I don't like the challenges idea (I don't like the game doling out any sort of directives, for that matter) and the stock market idea implies shareholders who dictate what I do, but I would love to see a system of buying and selling that included rare resources from other planets, giving us opportunities to create trade routes and such.

I think the concept presented by the OP and what the devs have described are so similar I can't see how this could be considered a new game mode.

For the record, though, I don't mind the game generating missions and goals in career mode. Actually, I think the game would benefit from it. I feel like sandbox mode is appropriate for players who aren't interested in game generated goals. It's a valid play-style, but without goals, it's hard to classify KSP as a game (based on definitions from Chris Crawford and Greg Costikyan, and similar conversations were held re: Minecraft). Player defined goals are fine, but, again, sandbox mode already fills that need.

The inclusion of an economy, (money, rare extra-kerbestrial resources returned to Kerbin, other resources, and a exchange for all of that), is a pretty cool idea and I its inclusion could also enhance the game.

I think the concept presented by the OP and what the devs have described are so similar I can't see how this could be considered a new game mode.

Have the devs mentioned a stock market or selling off old stock and experiments? How about Kerbal wages or resource sale?

For the record, though, I don't mind the game generating missions and goals in career mode. Actually, I think the game would benefit from it. I feel like sandbox mode is appropriate for players who aren't interested in game generated goals. It's a valid play-style, but without goals, it's hard to classify KSP as a game (based on definitions from Chris Crawford and Greg Costikyan, and similar conversations were held re: Minecraft). Player defined goals are fine, but, again, sandbox mode already fills that need.

I have a different outlook on that, but that may be why I enjoy "games" (E: Just read up on your "experts", I much prefer toys because they involve creativity) like Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, EVE: Online, etc... There's also no reason that sandbox mode can't be a template for play that includes such restrictions as the tech tree with science and an economy. Hell, career mode right now is just sandbox with a tech tree...

Anyway, the KSP devs have mentioned "Contracts" but that could mean anything from a branching set of completion-revealing objectives that reacts to the player's exploration and rewards appropriately or a rigid "do this mission" sort of structure. And aside from the labels I haven't seen anything about how money or reputation will actually work within the game yet. We really have no idea what exactly they have planned and will probably have to wait until 0.24 to find out.

Edited by regex

I love the idea of contracts and missions but I don't want them to be directed like an RPG. I'd much prefer them to be organically generated by some sort of AI based on where you are concentrating. So if you're doing a lot of stuff on Minmus, your scientists suggest there may be more science to be done at a certain location near where you'd already landed or orbited. "We got an odd gravity reading near that hilltop. I would love to get one right from the surface!"

That way, you're making a base on Minmus anyway so hooking a little lander on the next supply ship so you can get that little bit of extra science is just an extra thing to enhance what you were doing anyway.

I don't see any problem in KSP being managed on a "Space Tycoon" style. The game is about managing a space program, and the management part is yet to be implemented.

So, yes, i want to have to take care of my funds, missions, rewards, disasters and be well seen by the Kerbin people.

Woulnd't see any issue in having a rival space program, which will put me under situations where i have to choose to either risk and be rewarded or let them get that (ex first mun landing) and come up with a minmus landing to overcome the rival achievements. Even though i belive that it is not the focus of the game, i would like that.

Even simulate a rivalry based on comunity mods against another player online, but immersed on the carreer.

Have the devs mentioned a stock market or selling off old stock and experiments? How about Kerbal wages or resource sale?

As far as I know, they haven't. They're variations on a theme, which, like I said before, isn't enough to merit a whole separate game mode.

I have a different outlook on that, but that may be why I enjoy "games" (E: Just read up on your "experts", I much prefer toys because they involve creativity) like Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, EVE: Online, etc...

Cool, I'm glad you enjoy them. I like games with Skyrim and Minecraft that have loads of goals that you can pursue, some defined by players, others defined the game. I'm not sure why all the quotes, though. I included the references because, invariably, without them the rebuttal is always "whats the definition of a game", and it's nice to have something to point to.

There's also no reason that sandbox mode can't be a template for play that includes such restrictions as the tech tree with science and an economy. Hell, career mode right now is just sandbox with a tech tree...

Uh yeah, it's still in development, and as you stated below.

Anyway, the KSP devs have mentioned "Contracts" but that could mean anything from a branching set of completion-revealing objectives that reacts to the player's exploration and rewards appropriately or a rigid "do this mission" sort of structure. And aside from the labels I haven't seen anything about how money or reputation will actually work within the game yet. We really have no idea what exactly they have planned and will probably have to wait until 0.24 to find out.

It's not the specific implementation of economy, contracts, etc would create fully separate game modes, these are, again, simply variations on a theme. It's the inclusion/exclusion of these concepts that will define game modes, and its extremely likely that these concepts will be in career mode.

Anyway, I've said what I have to say about it.

They're variations on a theme

I disagree, some of OP's suggestions would merit additional features, most especially his "challenges", which I don't think will be covered by what I think we'll see in KSP's Contract system. This is my bias speaking, obviously.

I'm not sure why all the quotes, though. I included the references because, invariably, without them the rebuttal is always "whats the definition of a game", and it's nice to have something to point to.

I quoted some select words because I thought you were heading into "what defines a game" territory, which, in an informal discussion about a suggested feature, seems a bit pedantic and derailing.

It's not the specific implementation of economy, contracts, etc would create fully separate game modes, these are, again, simply variations on a theme. It's the inclusion/exclusion of these concepts that will define game modes, and its extremely likely that these concepts will be in career mode.

I disagree, which is why I say that OP isn't exactly wrong in suggesting a new game "mode".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.