BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

I'm very, very pleased with the new reflections. Truly pretty, impressive and seems to be performance friendly. But I'm having huge inconsistencies in the reflections of my dev install (specially landed) probably caused by the new EVE version (wip yet). I don't know if this happens in the official release (7-x) too. I say "probably caused by EVE" because the cube layers seem to remain consistent in the ground, but the reflection appears with black spaces in the sky (atmo, clouds and particles).

I'm wondering, if this can't be solved... can we at least get the reflection without this details (I mean, a reflection of the sky without the clouds)?

http://i.imgur.com/LV9J9nll.jpg

EVE overhaul seems to have some kind of frustum culling for clouds, so they are not rendered in some directions. The second problem is that it replaces most shaders and hence disables TRReflection (mostly).

You can check the latest version:

TextureReplacer-2.1.94.zip

Can anyone point me to a kerbal texture replacer that makes astronauts helmet heavily tinted(so I could pretend they are humans, kerbal looks out of place when playing some realism mods) I can seem to find one.

Green Skull's suits. Anyway, creating a completely opaque visor should take you about 1 min in Windows Paint (or whatever graphics software you use) to create two 1x1 images for both visors.

EVE overhaul seems to have some kind of frustum culling for clouds, so they are not rendered in some directions. The second problem is that it replaces most shaders and hence disables TRReflection (mostly).

You can check the latest version:

TextureReplacer-2.1.94.zip

The new version seems to make much better reflections, imho. Like more coherent. In a standard KSP seems to run perfectly (checked). But the problem with the EVE overhaul (atmos and clouds) still persist. I'm quite sure that is not a TRReflection problem at all, because you can see the broken atmo over perfectly reflected buldings or ships, as example. I think that Rbray is not over yet with the new atmo system, so maybe this is temporal. Or maybe can't be avoided. That is why I'm wondering if it's possible to avoid the EVE "layers" in the reflection. Don't know... I don't want to push too much, atm your reflections are simply beautiful, works perfectly and my complaints are based in a WIP. I just hope you don't feel very pressed by my comments about this. Thanks for your work Shaw, is amazing.

TextureReplacer 2.1.95

• Certain suit textures can be set per-level. If suit's directory contains "EVAhelmet1", "EVAhelmet2", ..., "EVAhelmet5" those textures are used for levels 1, 2, ..., 5 instead of "EVAhelmet". Same for "EVAtexture", "kerbalHelmetGrey" and "kerbalMainGrey".
  • Visor shader is now embedded in TextureReplacer.dll, so `Plugins/PluginData` can be deleted.

This version doesn't contain any EVE fixes or workarounds yet.

If one were to take a crack at doing some skins for Pilot/Engineer/Scientist, where would one find the vanilla files to work from? I've looked all over my install, but I can't find them.

They're hidden away in the KSP_Data folder in the .asset files, so they're able to be found, just not, easily lol If you wanna know how to do it, we can show you

hmm tried converting my texture files to DDS to use it with DDSLoader, but now my textures dont work anymore? Anyone knows if textureReplacer works with DDS? (I converted them to DXT1 or DXT5 like the author said in the DDSLoader thread..)

EDIT: I reverted to png's and used DDS4KSP converter and now its working! I dont understand why it didnt work when i converted it though... I used Nvidia's plugin for Photoshop.. The only difference I can see is that my files had Uppercase Extension and with the converter its LowerCase but I thought that it didnt matter wether your extension is Upper or LowerCase... Any explanation/link about DDS conversion and how it works would be appreciated cause I wanna know what I did wrong! :)

Edited by 0phoff
Fixed it

Just tried out .95 preview and it broke the real visor reflections (it seems) from .94 preview.

Also my EVE 7-4, the .95 preview had the clouds on the ground on Kerbin (which was actually kinda cool as it looked foggy at the Space Center), where it was unaffected by .94.

Reverted back to .94 and the real reflections were working again. It looks like .95 the part reflections may not be working either. But it seems the source of that may be the MM config in extras (I didn't overwrite this on the revert and they were not working), but they are when I used the one from the .94 package.

Edited by helaeon
Further info

hmm tried converting my texture files to DDS to use it with DDSLoader, but now my textures dont work anymore? Anyone knows if textureReplacer works with DDS? (I converted them to DXT1 or DXT5 like the author said in the DDSLoader thread..)

EDIT: I reverted to png's and used DDS4KSP converter and now its working! I dont understand why it didnt work when i converted it though... I used Nvidia's plugin for Photoshop.. The only difference I can see is that my files had Uppercase Extension and with the converter its LowerCase but I thought that it didnt matter wether your extension is Upper or LowerCase... Any explanation/link about DDS conversion and how it works would be appreciated cause I wanna know what I did wrong! :)

Lowercase/uppercase usually matters. It certainly does in texture names, but I'm not sure about the extensions. DDSLoader only binds to "dds", but not to "DDS". However KSP might use case-insensitive comparisons so it might work despite the wrong case.

Maybe you didn't use correct compression method or you used DX10 format. DDSLoader can only read DDS files without DX10 extensions that are either uncompressed or use DXT1 or DXT5 compression.

- - - Updated - - -

Just tried out .95 preview and it broke the real visor reflections (it seems) from .94 preview.

Also my EVE 7-4, the .95 preview had the clouds on the ground on Kerbin (which was actually kinda cool as it looked foggy at the Space Center), where it was unaffected by .94.

Reverted back to .94 and the real reflections were working again. It looks like .95 the part reflections may not be working either. But it seems the source of that may be the MM config in extras (I didn't overwrite this on the revert and they were not working), but they are when I used the one from the .94 package.

Could I see your log? Are there any exceptions?

Does anyone have interest in this? With some tips from Sippyfrog, I was able to get to the vanilla EVA suits, so as to make a stock-alike set of EVA outfits for your pilot (red), engineer (yellow) and scientist (blue). They're nothing crazy, and I'm just using them for myself, but I don't mind sharing if people want.

BlXIGvt.jpg

4XSxTW0.jpg

Edited by klesh

Does anyone have interest in this? With some tips from Sippyfrog, I was able to get to the vanilla EVA suits, so as to make a stock-alike set of EVA outfits for your pilot (red), engineer (yellow) and scientist (blue). They're nothing crazy, and I'm just using them for myself, but I don't mind sharing if people want.

http://i.imgur.com/4XSxTW0.jpg

Oh yes,

I have been looking for a set of vanilla EVA suits for a project I am doing the initial workups on... I would be most grateful for a copy.

Thanks in advance

@klesh nice work, interested. If you are going to share it, can you also make green version? (Final Frontier ribbon for scientists is green).

Sure. I'll give Green a try. I could probably do a bunch of colors I guess, since the mod has that handy tool to determine your own pilot/scientist/engineer setups.

Anything for a fellow Ukrainian!

Oh yes,

I have been looking for a set of vanilla EVA suits for a project I am doing the initial workups on... I would be most grateful for a copy.

Thanks in advance

No sweat! I'll do up a couple more until I have the basic colors covered, then I'll put it up for folks.

:)

Okay let's see what I've got here running .95 again... well isn't that interesting. I installed it exactly the same way I did last night from the exact same link you posted and... it works. Except. I forgot to copy the new MM_Reflections.cfg. I'm still using the one from .94.

Only nullreferences I have are "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0" (Which I'm pretty sure is from EVE).

So, bringing in MM_Reflections.cfg from .95... and it still works. Not sure what happened.

I did clear out my MyMod.cfg that overrides the Default.cfg, a lot of the values were the same as I originally made it from the Default.cfg a few versions ago so I removed those I wonder if there was a clash because of that which was causing problems.

Sorry about the false alarm.

I seem to be having a problem with replacing suit textures. The helmets always stay the default red. Would anyone know what I'm doing wrong perchance?

letter case?

letter case?

Hmm I didn't think of that. I take it letter case matters? I'll have to check when I get home.

In the mean time, possibly related to my issue, I did notice that in-game when choosing a texture set there are 4 textures. It looks like a suit, the jetpack and two helmets, the new one and the stock one. Is that normal?