Performance Fix - KSP Tweak Guide

Astronomer

I wrote this guide to help those suffering from low FPS in-game.

You can read my original formatted guide with some comment questions answered here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1tb006/023_ksp_performance_fps_tweak_guide_all/

It takes a lot longer to format text using BB code as opposed to Markdown, but I will try to do a reasonable amount here too, sorry.

I've created an optimized settings.cfg that is aimed to improve both visuals and performance of the game. I have a cheap GPU (GT 630), and these settings keep my game looking good at mostly steady 60FPS on Kerbin and it looks nice and sharp at 1080p. If you have bad FPS while looking at Kerbin while in orbit or while launching even small spacecraft, this should fix this issue (not if you are trying to launch a ship with 1000+ parts - this is not aimed to improve on that but should still improve FPS overall).

First, in your root KSP folder, replace the settings.cfg with the one I made:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/fps-fix-performance-tweak-guide/

I made 2 custom Terrain presets: Performance and Optimal - I suggest you try the Optimal first. All 3 Terrain settings should perform better than ever thanks to a low minDistance and maxSubdivision values on all water in the game. Also the orbits will now be rendered differently, allowing for encounter tweaking (use Tab or Shift+Tab in map view to switch between targets) and maximum number of predicted orbits has been raised from 3 to 5. Also many other changes.

Once that's done, first make sure you change the in-game resolution to the one that gives you 40-60FPS in the main menu (on the Mun or with 3 kerbals orbiting Kerbin). I use my native 1920x1080 (I changed it to 1280x720 in the .cfg so it's not larger than anyone's native res. because that may cause KSP to crash or whatnot), I suggest you start from the highest your display can support (your monitor's native resolution) - you may be pleasantly surprised by the performance.

Once you have your highest optimal resolution set, feel free to change any settings you think your hardware can handle. I have already selected the best visual to FPS balance for KSP, your system may behave differently but probably not much better if you are reading this guide.

If your game doesn't start, you see a black screen, or any other issues, delete the settings.cfg and launch the game - a stock settings.cfg will be created.

Now, if you have an NVIDIA Graphics Card, go to your NVIDIA Control Panel and add KSP.exe if you already haven't: Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Add > KSP.exe Now, make sure the following settings are set for KSP.exe :

• Anisotropic filtering: 4x
  • All antialiasing is Application-controlled - don't use it at all - it kills FPS when looking at complex geometry (KSC or large spacecraft)
  • Maximum pre-rendered frames: 4 (or more if available)
  • Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On
  • Threaded optimization: On
  • Triple buffering: On
  • Vertical sync: Adaptive

Feel free to change the rest of the settings as you desire or just let them be as they are.

If you are not sure how to access this panel, right-click on your desktop and "NVIDIA Control Panel" should show up assuming your graphical drivers are up-to-date and that you have an NVIDIA Graphics Card (GT ???, GTX ???, others).

If you encounter PERFORMANCE ISSUES when you have both the settings.cfg and the settings above, set:

• Anisotropic filtering to "Off" (this particular setting should not be significant)
  • Vertical sync to "Off"
  • Triple buffering to "Off"

If you encounter VISUAL ISSUES when you have both the settings.cfg and the settings above, set:

• Anti-Aliasing to FXAA, 2x MSAA, or higher (in the NVIDIA Panel - results may vary system to system but it is generally not recommended when launching crafts made of hundreds of parts or near complex geometry)
  • Vertical sync to "On" (only if you experience too much screen tearing lines - this will bottleneck performance)
  • Fiddle around with other settings both in-game and in the NVIDIA Panel to improve quality if your FPS can afford it.

To improve the performance of an NVIDIA GPU, I prefer to use NVIDIA Inspector to overclock mine: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html Be careful what you do with this, as this may damage your hardware if used incorrectly.

Here is 4GB RAM tweak for 64x systems, however I have not noticed if has any effect on KSP as I do not have many mods installed, but it's worth a try as it will have no negative effects. This will allow the executable to use 4GB of ram and works with other games/executables: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php Download it and find your KSP.exe in your KSP root folder. If you are not sure if you have a 64-bit (64x) or a 32-bit (86x) system, right-click on your Computer and open Preferences.

Long loading times are caused by large files. To decrease your loading time when starting-up KSP, use lower-resolution textures for your mods, or simply use less mods. Having too many mods is known to affect in-game performance as well, so avoid using multiple large mods such as B9, Universe Replacer, Visual Enhancements, KOSMOS Pack, etc...

If you are having trouble saving screenshots by pressing F1 in-game, make sure to launch the game as the administrator. Your screenshots will be in the Screenshots folder located in the root folder for KSP.

If you want to have a better looking sun flare (which by the way will not affect your performance), look here for instructions: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page38?p=577857&viewfull=1#post577857 and here for a better, alternate version of the texture (same instructions apply): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0?p=849201&viewfull=1#post849201

If you have any questions, improvements, or additions to this guide - please comment below. This took me a lot of time to figure out these settings, I hope to improve everyone's experience with KSP to at least the same level as mine :) . If you found this guide useful, you can help the community by making it visible to others.

Edited by Astronomer

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much! There's no way to explain how much this helped me. I went from getting ~5 FPS near the surface of Kerbin, and 3 minute launches taking 15 minutes+, to a solid 20-25 FPS on the surface and 30-40 FPS in space. Now I can launch and not have to look into space to avoid lag!

• 1 month later...

Sir, I do love you, in the most non-homosexual-but-will-hold-a-special-place-in-my-heart-for-you kind of way possible.

I already had the terrain tweaks so I was skeptical about the improvements this would give me, but boy did the improvements come. I could usually get 10~20 fps on surface, but with all of these tweaks I'm getting 30 or so, which is just enough for me to enjoy launches again.

I can also attest to the 4-gb fix, as it cut load times with ~20 mods nearly in half. I've haven't Ctd'd yet, and hopefully it will stay that way.

For those of you on a MacBook, please check "System Preferences", "Energy Saver", and ensure that you have "Automatic graphics switching" disabled. This forces the laptop to use the better of its two graphics cards, rather than trying to push KSP/Unity through the low-end graphics card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello. Your tweak makes my game performance great but i have one issue. After copypasting your config file all my orbits looks like this: http://oi57.tinypic.com/156wmeq.jpg

Pls help :(

That's caused by anisotropic filtering, I haven't found a fix other than turning it off.

Edited by MartGonzo

• 1 month later...

Hello there Astronomer!

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to implement such an idea, and for sharing with us! Also thank you for updating your file on Curse!

Second: I have an Nvidia GeForce 9800GT running KSP 0.24.2 on Win 8.1 64bit, and I have set it up conform to your indications on curse:

"If you have an NVIDIA Graphics Card, go to your NVIDIA Control Panel and add KSP.exe if you already haven't: Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Add > KSP.exe Now, make sure the following settings are set for KSP.exe:

Anisotropic filtering: 4x or higher

All antialiasing should be Application-controlled - it kills FPS when looking at complex geometry (KSC or large spacecraft), try changing this setting in the KSP settings menu and see if it's worth it

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 4 (or more if available)

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On

Threaded optimization: On

Triple buffering: On (if Vertical sync is on)

Vertical sync: On or Adaptive (unless you still have poor performance, then turn it Off)"

I have also copied your settings.cfg file in the Kerbal folder. However I face 2 problems:

1. "There are 3 settings (Low V2, Default V2, and High V2) that you can choose from in the settings menu (Curse)" - How can I access these settings, they do not appear anywhere in the Kerbal settings menu!

2. I have the same problem as above, the terrain on Kerbal becomes dark. Replacing you config file with the original one, it has reset to normal, with the Nvidia control panel settings remaining as described. So is there a prob in the config file somewhere?

Thank you for your time!

Here is 4GB RAM tweak for 64x systems, however I have not noticed if has any effect on KSP as I do not have many mods installed, but it's worth a try as it will have no negative effects. This will allow the executable to use 4GB of ram and works with other games/executables: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php Download it and find your KSP.exe in your KSP root folder. If you are not sure if you have a 64-bit (64x) or a 32-bit (86x) system, right-click on your Computer and open Preferences.

This bit is totally unnecessary as the x86 version of KSP is already set to be "large address aware" which is what this patch sets. The x86 version of KSP is already able to use 4GB (well, actually about 3.6 because the size of the exe and all the non-system DLLs it uses are included in the 4GB) when running on 64 bit Windows.

• 9 months later...
Where can I get the config? The link opens the ksp curse homepage.

Here, let me just search that for you. (I just typed "performance" into the Curse search bar and found it).

NB: You DON'T want to replace your existing Settings.cfg with the one in this mod; for one it's old, for another it'll overwrite your other settings such as your resolution, which may cause KSP to not start up. What you DO want to do is copy the "TERRAIN" sections near the end into your own settings.cfg (take a backup first).

You can just add the "Preset" sections to your own file instead of replacing the stock section as Astronomer did, KSP will work with more than 3.

Btw, nice necro.. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.