What's happened to you in KSP that was so painfully stupid that you laughed out loud?

caba111

My latest facepalm moment was getting my docking ports mixed up and accidentally detaching a module from my orbiting Minmus science lab. Not too bad, except that that particular module was put in place by a tug, so it had no RCS or in fact no probe core or other means of control. The only way to stick the station back together was to try and dock my Minmus lander to it (which wasn't blessed with RCS either) and use the lander as a makeshift tug.

I confess to giving up on this one and reloading. Theoretically possible but life was just too short on this occasion.

My missions either go off without a hitch or go wrong at every single turn, with no middle ground. The following is obviously one of the latter kind.

So I'm doing an Apollo style mission but with an extra habitation module attached.

Attempt nr. 1:

The rocket immediately buckles because I forgot to reattach a few struts after making some modifications to my rover. "No problem, that way I can test my LES" I think. Of course it fails, breaks off from the command module and spears right into the habitation module.

Attempt nr. 2:

We make it to orbit, rearrange a few modules , prepare for the lunar insertion burn, ... and notice that we have a rover at one end of the ship and a habitation module at the other end but no engines pointing to space.

Attempt nr. 3:

We make it to Munar orbit this time, decouple the lander + rover, ... and notice that due to the same changes I made to the design of the rover before attempt nr. 1 it is now blocking the lander engines.

Attempt nr. 4:

The lander and rover make it to the Munar surface, but since it was a rough landing a few rover wheels got damaged. "Not a problem, i'll get Jeb to fix them" I say.

"... uh, Jeb? Where are you?"

"Right here in the command capsule orbiting the Mun along with Bill and Bob. You forgot to bring us with you."

"..."

Did you use normal or drogue parachutes? I'm gonna send a manned mission soon, and I don't want it to end like the first one.

I used normal chutes an thought thai I don't need to thrust to slow down. I was very wrong. Also, guess what? I had four landing attempts. All of them are failed. Gonna try that again with TACLS very soon...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.