What's happened to you in KSP that was so painfully stupid that you laughed out loud?

caba111

Just yesterday, I had my biggest fail in KSP in the almost two years I have been playing.

Been kinda sick, so I spent about 7 hours designing and testing a small jet... I then packed two of them into a custom built transportation frame, put them in orbit. Spent the next 5 launches getting a Nuclear Propulsion module up there, as well as a crew for the jets, a support module, and then two gas runs. Five hour later, I successfully set course and intercepted Duna.

Duna.

See, I thought Duna was like Laythe, and you could fly jet engines there.

Nope.

:(

screenshot83_zps4ac2b787.png

Edited by Werwolf

Not yet, but I'm hopeful it's possible. Been a bit side-tracked recently with another building using the new engines.

What exactly is it? It looks like an interplanetary SSTO with a bunch of strapped on probes. Are those wing parts just for decoration?

Oh where do I start. The rockets that immediately turn upside down and slam into the dirt full throttle.

Stranding a Kerbal in orbit around the Mun while almost simultaneously crashing his pusher rocket into Kerbin (with Kerbal on board) due to a "decoupler malfunction" (my staging order)

Landing on Minmus with a lander/rover and too much surface speed. Went for a tumble, the command module and one side engine get knocked off, Jeb watches in horror from the ground as the rest of the ship spirals across the horizon before crashing.

Sent a Kerbal to the Mun and he got bored so I sent him a rocket probe-rover. Landed 30km away and after driving for about 20, hit a ridge too fast and the rover instantly turned into a spray of debris.

Landed on a hill on the Mun and the lander started sliding/rolling and then caught air, I just knew it was going to explode at the bottom so I EVA'd and let go, landed on the poor guy's face, and the lander didn't explode or even knock any pieces off. Then it did explode because I tried to take off with it laying down.

Forgot to put batteries / solar panels on my lander since the orbiter and rover had plenty of them. I wasn't bringing the rover back (in fact I wrecked it as usual because I forgot SAS) and a whole lot of good the orbiter was doing me while on the surface. I made it though.

I'm sure there are tons more.

Strapping too containers to a grandtour ship, only to realise they where monoprop tanks AROUND EELOO

And having a station at 7km in a polar Munar orbit, the station survived the intinal crash on the 17th orbit, but it was orientated in such a way that the escape pod filled with kerbals crashed into the surface and killed them, while the station was empty and perfectly fine :(

My first attempt at a Jool intercept, somehow I missed...

Probably the one that beats it is my attempt at leaving Duna which resulted in an unplanned manned impactor mission to Ike... See ribbons below.

Something tells me I need to pay more attention to those little lines which plot out the spacecrafts expected path.

Edited by nine_iron

Building a spaceplane, only to find I'd used Structural Fuselages instead of Jet Fuel Tanks.

Forgetting antennas on one-shot space probes.

Forgetting the Xenon for my Ion Engine once.

Putting a space station core up with no docking ports.

Sending ships up to dock with a space station, only to realize I forgot RCS. (twice. First time I had nothing, then I put RCS nozzles on and forgot to throw on an RCS tank. I felt so stupid...)

Explosive decoupling of a running stage with sepratrons.

Explosive decoupling of an aircraft's tail surfaces with sepratrons.

Knocking the tail off the plane.

Knocking jets off of the plane.

Hitting right roll instead of right rudder and flying straight into the control tower.

Twenty smashed crafts on Minmus. No casualties, so far no planned rescue missions until I manage to learn how to land on Minmus with my spaceplanes.

Attaching wings to decouplers, forgetting Stage Lock, and decoupling my main flight wings by accident. Was trying to go into IVA view and suddenly lost my wings.

Accidentally firing the SAFE Cockpit. (Simple And Fast Ejection) Nothing like an aggressive launch by 8 Sepratrons to clear you from the remainder of your plane. Six push you forward, two push the nose up a little. Just press 2 to eject chutes. Panic button was set to 1 instead of 3 like it should have been.

Taking out my own wings on a space shuttle by decoupling the solids while they were still active.

"Everything is air-droppable at least once!" with a rover. Accidentally dropped it while dropping my spare fuel tanks. Five times. Because I didn't realize my action group for dropping tanks also had the rover in it. Because I'd set up staging to eject tanks, then rover, but felt I'd use an action group.

EVA on re-entry and get blown away from the cockpit. I just wanted some science!

And last, but certainly not least. Mere minutes from establishing Laythe orbit, my fuel runs out on the staged spaceplane, I eject the stage and proceed to fire the landing stage, and put my elbow right into the power button for my computer. Not so much laughing, but cursing a blue streak, which caused Dad to laugh.

So I send a MPL to each Mun and minmus, getting ready to get all the science out there. After they both arrived I realised I had no crew at all send with them.

Beeing quite early in the tech tree, not having any pods offering space for muptiple kerbals, I just put 2 one man pods on one rocket.

Send it to mun and found out i didn't have enough fuel left for a Rendezvous with my mpl.

Whatever... have to send some fuel for multiple landings to different biomes and returning to the mpl anyways. So i send some fuel, rendezvous'ed with my 2 man craft and Rendezvous'ed both with my mpl and put the kerbals in it.

Next part of the mission was to land with the 2-man-rocket which also contained the Sciencepack. So i undocked the refueler and lander, burned retrograde for a suborbital detachement of my refueler so it would crash on the ground. Transferred all the fuel and rcs fuel from the remote controlled refueler to the lander and undocked.

Well.... next thing i noticed: i had no controll over the lander since i forgot my kerbal piloting it in the mpl. Also couldn't redock with the refueler since it had no fuel left for any maneuvering.

1) I sent a science lab rover and recovery lander/capsule to Mun. Drove nearly 1/4 way around Mun and decided to hop the lander over for pickup instead of driving back. It was at that point I discovered I did not put any polar panels or batteries on the lander, and the LV-909 engines don't produce any electricity. Derp. Managed to get back to Kerbin with just over 1 unit of electrical charge remaining. >.>

2) Sent a science lab to Duna. Used too much fuel on landing and ran out just as I entered Kerbin SOI on the return trip, ~680m/s short of a capture. Used the "Get out and push" method to lower that to under 600m/s and, not wanting to spend the next two hours or so deorbiting with that method, gathered up the science and EVA'd.

Burnt up all the EVA fuel getting captured even though I didn't technically have to... then I realized I'd have no way to maneuver the Kerbals to get them into a rescue vessel. Manged to get the rescue ship close enough that the Kebals bumped into the ladder so I could grab on... three Kerbals, three orbits!

=Smidge=

Stranding five Kerbals on the Mun. Send a three man rescue crew with 2 hitchhiker cans. Pull off said rescue mission only to time warp into Kerbin's surface killing all eight.

Edited by jmartin
typo

The only one that really had me laughing hard was the following:

Built myself a shiny rocket. Attached the launch stabilizers, got the staging right (! You can see where this is going already, right?).

Move to launch!

Throttle up, and... spacebar!

And the craft falls down from the stabilizer, doing absolutely nothing.

Suspecting a glitch, or something, I relaunch four more times before I notice that I did NOT have the staging right. Instead of moving the stabilizers INTO the first stage, I'd moved them into a newly made stage and placed that BENEATH the first stage.

I kinda got angry at myself, but decided it was just too funny instead.

Most of my builds probably count. :D

[snip the pic]

Good lord, that looks like a proper cathedral! Are you trying to establish a mün-based religion, or something?

EDIT: Oh, we're not allowed to delete our own posts? Humbug.

Apologies for the double-post.

1. First Mun landing in 0.23.

2. Landing from IVA view because it's nice.

3. Fail to notice Navball is in "Orbit" mode rather than "Surface".

4. Touchdown at 0.5 m/s ORBITAL speed.

5. [DO A BARREL ROLL]... several...

Luckily I had "1" bound to the engine and I properly timed the throttle with the "ground-sky-ground-sky-ground" showing on the treacherous Navball. After I stabilized I managed to look away long enough to find the "C" button and switch to SRF mode. Landed perfectly.

Deep breath.:0.0: LOL.:sticktongue: Wish I'd had FRAPs running ;.;

First ever Mun landing - I walk Jeb into one of the lander legs and knock him out. When he wakes up I do it all over again. And then again...

" One small step for a Kerbal, a giant leap for - OUCHHH ! dammmit " :D

One of the most hilarious fail I had was when I tried to save Dodloos Kerman from his loneliness on da Mun with a lander and almost empty tank so I designed a rescue pod (basically the same lander with a probe core Stayputnik to send the rescue ship and more fuel to be able to send back the guy at home.) So First try, I Launch the rescue mission, no problem to leave atmosphere then I started to circularize and... BOOOM! I was so surprised that I almost felt of my seat. My rescue pod was almost totally annihilated, just the pod and the probe core were in, all the rest was just blown of or just flying away. I found out that was a fracking stage of the previous mission who collided into the rescue pod. How small were the chances that could happen? Jeb could say 50% it happens or not...

Well, I was amazed by the bad karma of my poor kerbal and after cleaning orbit I sent another rescue pod. I managed to land it at less than a km and my kerbal was happy to come back home, there was so much snack waiting for him! So I made a classic and fast travel back to Kerbin and while I was in the upper atmosphère I saw a little detail really, really annoying... When I turned the lander in unmanned rescue pod I placed the stayputnik on the top of the little pod, where you usually find... yeah, the parachute :sealed: The poor Dodloos knew what asteroïds impacting Kerbin feel.

I put a science lab station into orbit but forgot to fill up the crew slots. I decided to build a crew shuttle with the hitchhiker tank to rectify my mistake, only to finally dock the crew shuttle and then realise I had forgotten to fill the crew slots again. The crew resetting when I make changes to a vessel, gets me all the time.

Yeah I feel your pain. The crew slots resetting have kinda screwed me over many many times. Hopefully SQUAD can make it so the crew can be saved along with the design or something. Or atleast the crew could stay the same when you hit revert to SPH/VAB. Need to install Kerbal manifest again since it works way better than what they have implemented since you can make adjustments on the fly on the launchpad.

First time I ever made it to the Mun. I didn't watch a bunch of tutorials etc I just kept building rockets for days and didn't know how to orbit hahah... I finally accidentally got a Mun fly-by and I was ballsy enough for a landing. Didn't think it through and long story short... I tried to use parachutes to land. Not my brightest moment lmao

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.