What's happened to you in KSP that was so painfully stupid that you laughed out loud?

caba111

I'm going to have to fire myself due to gross incompetence.

I hear this.

Today, I gloriously undid a few of the (many) strandings that my Kerbil Space Program has become somewhat famous for (to my dog, and girlfriend).

I (finally) rescued the Jeb, who was stuck in Kerbil orbit after he'd exited a craft with a blocked hatch.

I (nearly) successfully rescued the crew of a flight to Minimus, except the hitchhiker container destroys itself upon contact with the water :( It was a test run of a lifeboat system to pick up the 10 or so Lunar surveying teams currently stranded, err playing ping pong on the Mun.

Ran out of thrust to dock with the lunar space station, but have enough thrust on the space station to move it!! Results pending.

Man I hate docking.

I sent an unmanned rescue lander to the Mun to pick up Jebediah who was stranded there without fuel to get home. Everything went perfectly up to the landing. The rescue lander was going to come down within a couple of hundred meters of Jeb and had plenty of fuel for the return trip. It was night but I had landing lights to help me. The lander was doing over 200m/s at 6,000m alt which is plenty of space to slow down ... then at 5,000m I noticed that the ground was rushing up rather fast. Jebediah had a good view of his rescue pod hitting the ground at 170m/s at 4,200m "altitude".

No radar altimeter on a night-time landing. I laughed.

I laughed out loud when for the first time I discovered that Geofvin Kerman cannot get off a jump seat on a rover travelling at nearly 62 m/s to fix a broken wheel for Aldlie, who is trying to jump the crater. Aldlie was rubbernecking when he impacted the ground off a 'prejump' and basically disappeared.

screenshot262_zps405d3875.png

screenshot266_zps98546685.png

• 3 months later...

Almost any pre-mature SSTO design gives me the laughs during test flights. And insane rocket explosions...

And when new to KSP, i tried to land a kerbaled mission on Eve with only one parachute and no engines... Poor Dudford looked really panicked... PUFF!

I laughed a little when I detached my Duna lander (at very low altitude) from the interplanetary hauler, deorbited, was about to release the parachutes only to see the altimeter very quickly decrease in numbers. A flurry of movement as I tried to turn the craft and arrest the fast descent only to smack into the ground before I really understood what was going on. I laughed then reloaded. That was 6 kerbals dead.

Trying to do an EVA report early on in my KSP career and Jeb fell off from around 800 meters. He bounced several times and I thought to myself, "He just might live!" only to watch him explode as his bouncing slowed. Made no sense to me and caught me off guard. Made me laugh like a tool. lol

Had to laugh when I figured out that my perfect Munar return, that gave me a nice, equatorial orbit with a 26k periapsis (my favorite reentry peri) actually lead my ship straight into the Munar surface.

Set it up, did the burn, alt-tabbed for a bit, come back, and I'm literally 100m above the ground and then boom. So I go back, set it up again, thinking I did something wrong, and there it was. My path went right through the moon. D'oh!

Damn lol, should have quicksaved.

Thats why I put antennas on multiple sides of my spacecraft.

The stupidest thing I have done was go dock, and forget to put RCS on my rocket. But luckily I can dock without it.

I don't remember any stupidness where I actually laughed, I have more of those "well this isn't going to work"/facepalm moments. Most recent example, wanted to test my new installation. Forgot to install KW, so I put my Capsule (+SDHI Service Module and stuff) on top of a Rockomax 64 + Skipper, with the intention of going to orbit. I was already flying about 45° east at 6 km up, with a horrible TWR, when I realised, this isn't going to space today. I'm still not sure if that rocket actually had a TWR so low, or if I forgot the throttle half way up. I could have, because my launch sequence was a bit broken by me realising that you can't have a rocket standing on a skipper, like you could on a Griffon.

On my first manned Duna landing, as i started my ascent vehicle, as it left the descent module, i forgot to retract my solar panels, but alas, i was on Duna, so the solar panels didn't break off.

Oh, as i furiously pressed my action key to retract the panels...

Last night, I was building a ship in LKO. I sent up the stage, only to find I had no RCS. So, revert to VAB, then add some decouplers with RCS tanks. Send it back up, get rid of part of the launch stage, and also blew off the RCS tanks before I even had a stable orbit... I took a break after that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.