What's happened to you in KSP that was so painfully stupid that you laughed out loud?

caba111

So, there I was. Starting a new career save with some new mods and a whole new attitude. Here's a shot of my first launch- a mun flyby.

RdYIE7K.png

wWfFGsu.png

With the resulting science from that launch, I get a few unlocks. I decide I am going to be returning 100% the science I earn from my second flight (a munar landing).

When building the rocket for this endeavor, I manage to forget the batteries, although I do include a small antenna. No big deal, right?

xsdQoOi.png

rzbr7hc.png

20aFYwK.png

So here I am, descending WAY faster than my wee little 909 can slow me down. I impact the Mun at about 80 m/s. My pod's UF-edUP [Universal Failure (in Extremely Dangerous) Unplanned Places] system (patent pending) miraculously absorbs most of the damage. The idea behind the system is that a secondary set of landing legs will protect the pod and the oh-so-valuable science packages in the event of aggressive lithobreaking. Anyway, what's left of the lander (sans engine) and the pod settle down within a hundred feet of one another.

This mission won't be a COMPLETE loss, I decided. Jeb (who apparently couldn't be more pleased with himself) r8suSAO.png bravely elected to record his innermost thoughts to broadcast to KSC. I had to send them SOMETHING, right?

The radio crackles to life, and Jeb begins to speak.

Just as he's finishing, the pod's batteries simultaneously go dry.

The lights shut off, communication goes dead, and the pod's gyroscopes die, one by one.

I was thinking "all right, 20 science out of all this. Not bad, not bad."

Then, as the last gyroscope dies, the pod rolls over, blocking the hatch. Jebediah is trapped inside, and probably will stay that way for the next several years.

Better yet, I can't effectively get him out until I unlock K.A.S. parts or something.

FGhUbKH.png

I've just told him to put up a curtain with little stars on it.

Now he thinks he's in space, at least.

Anyway, this thread is going in general so you guys can share your stories.

What's happened to you in KSP that was so painfully stupid that you laughed out loud?

Edited by caba111
minor errors

Made a Mun rover, ran out of fuel for lift-off (though dumping it wasn't an option - I spent almost 2 hours riding that stupid thing aroun Mun). Made a resupply fuel drop, drone-controlled, dropped in on Mun, spent another bunch of wasted minutes to get to it (missed just about 10 km from rover's position). And found out that I forgot to put docking port on dropped canister to transfer fuel. Don't know what I was doing actually, crying or laughing.

P.S. Next fuel drop, with docking port, landed almost and poor Jeb sitting on top of rover. I now really hate rovers))

Then, as the last gyroscope dies, the pod rolls over, blocking the hatch. Jebediah is trapped inside, and probably will stay that way for the next several years.

Better yet, I can't effectively get him out until I unlock K.A.S. parts or something.

You don't need to wait for KAS. To flip something over effectively, sure the wench is nice, but to just free Jeb all you need to do is ram his pod with a rover.

Plus that's more fun, and could lead to more laughing aloud :)

I put a science lab station into orbit but forgot to fill up the crew slots. I decided to build a crew shuttle with the hitchhiker tank to rectify my mistake, only to finally dock the crew shuttle and then realise I had forgotten to fill the crew slots again. The crew resetting when I make changes to a vessel, gets me all the time.

Made a spaceplane, and flew all the way to Laythe (not under its own power, it had a booster stage in orbit)

Fly around on Laythe for a bit then decide to go and land. The chosen beach turned out to not be as flat so the end of the "runway" is uphill.

Nevermind though, I managed to land it and come to a complete stop... then start rolling backwards, APPLY BRAKES!!!

Plane pivots on its back wheels and bumps the engines slightly. Both of them simply drop off. No explosion, no nothing.

My plane bounces back onto all 3 wheels and the engines are lying perfectly still behind it, both resting on their nozzles.

No way back into space

My most recent uber-fail was Minmus mission I did yesterday. First, The launch vehicle was inefficient and the lander burned most of its fuel to get there. Second, the craft ended without fuel 50 m above surface (luckily RCS was strong enough). Then I sent a rescue craft but the guys discovered nearby a new biome called Minmus's slopes... You guessed right, it ended with the lander performing some break dance...

Damn Minmus! I haven't had so much fun in a while!

P.S. I did this on camera. Coming soon on my channel...

Edited by Alchemist

Deploying a deep space communication satelite in Solar orbit from a manned vessel:

-Get nice Solar orbit at a strategic 120 degrees ahead of Kerbin.

-While facing prograde, Release satellite.

-Plan maneuver node to burn prograde to expand orbit (to allow Kerbin to catch up)

-While still in map mode, Start burn... CRASH.

Wrecked the satelite and stranded Bob's ship in solar orbit. (Later rescued by Jeb)

Attempted Mun landing in the Muns Polar Crater. I did not realize just how steep the crater walls were, so I decided to instead, hover over on top of the crater rim.

I still managed to have the thing fall over on its side. I sighed and reached for F9, then stopped and decided to see if I could recover it.

I carefully rolled the pod off the crater rim and down those ridiculously steep sides, which gave me just enough height to bring it under control with SAS and lift off again. I think I reloaded an old save anyway, but the shear fact that that worked amazed me.

I made this, and flew it to Jool.

-snip img-

AND I DIDN'T PUT ANY ANTENNAS ON THE PROBES!! ;.;

I sent out a mission out to eve back in 0.22 before the science update. it was going to be a unmanned lander, until I realized that I forgot the antenna.

Before I knew the unimaginably huge gravity of Eve I got a Kerbal there with more than enough fuel to get home from a planet Duna's size. I didn't even have enough thrust to get off the surface. After watching Scott Manley go to Eve so many times it looked so easy. So I just guessed it had about the same gravity as Duna. Oh ya and Johndon is stuck on the surface because I didn't add ladders.

Forgetting the parachute for a Mun-Spaceship+Lander and not noticing it until I was in Kerbins orbit and about to descent (well, acutally I was in descent when I noticed it ... fortunately early enough in descent, to return to orbit and later rescue jeb via a rescue mission)

Also, in 0.23, building a spaceship that should dock at my munar orbital station and then, shortly before docking, noticing that I had used dual symmetry for my RCS thrusters instead of quad one, meaning that I had only translational movement along 2 axis (instead of 3), forcing me to make up for the missing axis by making extensive use of rotation (i.e. the Q and E -Keys)

Edited by Godot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.