How do you think rings will work in KSP?

At the moment no planet in KSP has rings but I suspect that will change in the future and I wonder how rings might work. Will they be a passive image in the game that you can fly right through, will it be an impassable box of death or will it be hundreds of tiny rocks of doom that will create the deadliest debris field known to kerbal. I am just curious to what people opinions are to how rings would work.

Planet Ring....2.5km...how many ice/rocks are there?

How many "rock object" can your PC handle?

intherings.jpg

I don't think "Ring" will be available in near future. Except, they make it like Kerbin Ocean...Which is a sheet of...image.

Edited by Sirine

Planet Ring....2.5km...how many ice/rocks are there?

How many "rock object" can your PC handle?

http://www.astro.cornell.edu/~randerson/Inreach%20Web%20Page/inreach/saturn/intherings.jpg

I don't think "Ring" will be available in near future. Except, they make it like Kerbin Ocean...Which is a sheet of...image.

KSP handles ground clutter pretty well with the rocks and trees. I think as long as objects don't have physics enabled (meaning you can clip through them and they are on rails) it shouldn't be a problem processing-wise.

How I'd like it to be:

Billions of independently orbiting hard rocks of small to medium size.

How I'd do it given that the above would melt systems:

A thin but not paper thin Terrain Scatter like object that looks like Billions of rocks but you can pass right through.

How it will probably be done if at all:

A thin but not paper thin Terrain Scatter like object that looks like Billions of rocks but causes instant death upon passing through it.

Where did you get that info? Because quite frankly, you should never speak to that source again.

120700 - 6630 = 114070km.

That's not the dimension he was talking about... that's the range in altitude... not thickness.

Now I think he's wrong... and it's more like 1-10Km thick but you're more wrong.

Where did you get that info? Because quite frankly, you should never speak to that source again.

The rings extend from 6,630 km to 120,700 km above Saturn's equator

What you're now mentioning is diameter. Bartybum is talking about thickness.

Wikipedia actually AGREES with Bartybum:

The rings extend from 6,630 km to 120,700 km above Saturn's equator, average approximately 20 meters in thickness

Edit: Ninja'd

I think he meant thickness. That is, if you're flying through the rings from ring-relative normal or antinormal, not wideness, which is where you fly through the rings from ring-relative radial in or radial out.

EDIT: Also ninja'd.

KSP handles ground clutter pretty well with the rocks and trees. I think as long as objects don't have physics enabled (meaning you can clip through them and they are on rails) it shouldn't be a problem processing-wise.

i'll go for a transparent anular layer with scatters placed all over it.

A nice selection of asteroids we could push around would be fun, especially with deformable terrains.

Rings aren't asteroids. There's a few odd boulders here and there, but they've spent literally billions of years smashing and grinding against each other... something science fiction has gotten so painfully wrong it's misinformed everyone. The overwhelming bulk of rings have the consistency of river rock, gravel, and sand. The largest objects are estimated to be temporary groupings in nature until tidal forces will tear them apart again.

Edited by Frostiken

How I'd like it to be:

Billions of independently orbiting hard rocks of small to medium size.

How I'd do it given that the above would melt systems:

A thin but not paper thin Terrain Scatter like object that looks like Billions of rocks but you can pass right through.

How it will probably be done if at all:

A thin but not paper thin Terrain Scatter like object that looks like Billions of rocks but causes instant death upon passing through it.

If we ever get a damage system (lol, yeah right, I have zero faith in Squad ever making good on these promises anymore) it'd be nice to have areas of decreased density, so you can get orbits going through less dense parts of the rings that just ding up your ship. Might also be more forgiving if you get too close.

Huh. Kerbin's trees always seem to make my game lag, and they are part of ground scatter, so that might not be true and depend on the model's complexity. But of course, we're talking about rocks here, not floating space trees. :P

Guest Brody_Peffley
What you're now mentioning is diameter. Bartybum is talking about thickness.

Wikipedia actually AGREES with Bartybum:

Edit: Ninja'd

Nope wikipedia sucks. You should try nasas website some time...

"While the other three gas planets in the solar system -- Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune -- have rings orbiting around them, Saturn's are by far the largest and most spectacular. With a thickness of about one kilometer (3,200 feet) or less"

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Saturn&Display=Rings

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.