Radiation in KSP

-add in radiation shielding parts/modules to shield from cosmic rays, solar radiation, fission and fusion byproducts from nuclear engines or reactors

-lead, water, waste, magnetic, radiation shielding electronics

-create a solar cycle with modules that can study and track/predict solar events(CMEs, Flares, etc.) and generate science, all while resisting immense heat

-design parts around solar industry like harvesters of escaping matter / energy /antimatter / snacks

-textures for sol

that is not a texture of the sun you ever see except through special filters. And those aren't built into the windows of spacecraft or in your eyes as you look at the sky.

>> The Sun has a texture.

>> Resources projects are most likely out the window entirely as of KerbalKon.

As to the rest, that might be a tad too much micromanagement for KSP... but who knows.

Resources are not cancelled, they are simply postponed. In regards to the radiation thing, I agree that it might be a bit too micromanagey, but a simplified version would be awesome.

I think radiation is a great idea as long as its implementation is simple and user-friendly. I agree with vexx that too much micromanagement would be a bad thing but I do think radiation could be implemented in a simplified manner.

Maybe if parts like reactors/NERVA's had a radiation value (maybe millisieverts or a kerbalized equivalent) that they produced in a certain radius/direction of exhaust. Kerbals could die (or be impaired but that might be to complicated) if they spent enough time within these radii. There could also be stock, radially attaching radiation shielding parts that would mitigate or cancel the effect of radiation on manned capsules.

Additionally, Jool (and maybe other planets as well) could have defined radiation belts, that produced similar effects when a spacecraft passed into them. These belts could be visible in map view (maybe after proper research has been done in career mode, or the proper part is attached to the spacecraft). I think that random solar flares and the like would be another great way to add some suspense.

If you want to get a little more complicated, radiation could effect probe cores and scientific instruments but that might be getting more complicated. Overall, I think this would be a great addition to future KSP updates that could be handled in a simple and effective manner.

if you were that close to the sun eye protection wouldn't matter, you'd be dead.

the thread is about radiation shielding and keeping kerbs alive near their star

thank you, i didn't see this one when i used the forum search

Edited by KASAGD

You could over-simplify this idea. Some planets/moons are radioactive. When when get close enough with your orbit it messes with your controls/navball (not too much I think) unless you have radiation absorbing tanks on board. I'm thinking the goo takes could leech this radiation up and add a research option as a side benefit.

"After being exposed to the radiation from %%planetname%% the goo appears to have attained self awareness. It starts demanding danger pay and overtime."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.