How to make tactical ICBMs...Know everything else but how to stage and decouple.

Hello just downloaded KW Rocketry, And i've found potential in my ICBM And other tactical creations with it, I've made a rocket with 2 small rocket boosters, do a number (Hehe) but...it would always fire as i started the rocket and my staging was messed up to where the rocket woulden't even start without the boosters being fired first :huh:

I had my staging right when i made the station.

I'm saying I made a new ICBM and i fixed the staging and only the decouplers fired and i tried all other stages and it wasen't ever right. (Like i said a picture to see what the correct staging is would be nice)

You shouldn't need to stage for an ICBM. Just stack a couple of fuel tanks and a liquid engine. An ICBM is just an ordinary suborbital rocket that happens to have an extraordinary payload. If your rocket crashes into another continent, congrats: it's an ICBM.

[pedant]

Technically an ICBM would never be described as a tactical weapon, btw. The term "tactical" is used for relatively small unit actions, ICBMs are what would be described as a strategic weapon system.

[/pedant]

[pedant]

Technically an ICBM would never be described as a tactical weapon, btw. The term "tactical" is used for relatively small unit actions, ICBMs are what would be described as a strategic weapon system.

[/pedant]

An ICBM could be employed in a tactical role. It's just another form of artillery. Granted, it's artillery with extreme range and power, but there's nothing that says you can't use it to take out a squad instead of a city. It just has a larger than normal amount of collateral damage.

the response time of an ICBM would render it pretty much useless as a tactical weapon. By the time you launch it it's 30 minutes from its target (roughly) which ruins the surprise effect.

Far better to use a short range missile with say 50-100km range that flies for 1-2 minutes.

Cheaper too, and doesn't cause automated retaliation with strategic weapons against your country.

That's one thing the Chinese are going to have to deal with if they ever fire that carrier killer version of their DF21 and that's not even an ICBM, it's an IRBM.

An ICBM could be employed in a tactical role. It's just another form of artillery. Granted, it's artillery with extreme range and power, but there's nothing that says you can't use it to take out a squad instead of a city. It just has a larger than normal amount of collateral damage.

Sure, and you could try ironing your shirts with a steam roller. But doing so doesn't mean the steam roller is a small appliance :wink:

If the OP wants to keep this thread on topic and get some useful advice I'd suggest they post up a screenshot showing their current rocket and it's staging.

the response time of an ICBM would render it pretty much useless as a tactical weapon. By the time you launch it it's 30 minutes from its target (roughly) which ruins the surprise effect.

Far better to use a short range missile with say 50-100km range that flies for 1-2 minutes.

Cheaper too, and doesn't cause automated retaliation with strategic weapons against your country.

That's one thing the Chinese are going to have to deal with if they ever fire that carrier killer version of their DF21 and that's not even an ICBM, it's an IRBM.

Traditional ICBMs are very much strategic-only, but the newer dial-a-yield warheads, such as those on Trident arguably can be used close to tactically when the yield is dialled down. The 30 minute thing only costs you the element of surprise if you're using it against another superpower who can detect the launch. Against non superpower enemies, the hypersonic arrival of the warhead still carries that element of surprise. It basically takes the weapon into an area between traditional strategic and traditional tactical nuclear weapons, which has been referred to as sub-strategic.

The limited inventory of ICBMs and warheads, the unit cost, the risk of it being misinterpreted as a full strategic launch, and the de-facto moratorium on any use of nuclear warheads significantly deters their use in the sub-strategic role, but it remains possible.

It basically takes the weapon into an area between traditional strategic and traditional tactical nuclear weapons, which has been referred to as sub-strategic.

Soviet military theory recognised an intermediate level in between tactical and strategic: "operational". It's a useful distinction IMO.

I just pointed out it could be used in a tactical role*. I never, in any way, said that it would be a good idea.

*With the implication that the role, and not the weapon, defines whether it is strategic or tactical. After all, B-52 bombers were designed as a strategic weapon to strike cities. They were later used in the role of close air support, very much not what they were built for.

I'm seeing nothing fishy or untruthful about his ribbons. He was probably meaning he knew everything else about KSP and all the stages but He dosen't know how to SHOOT other missiles out on the ICBM. And he's probably done all that because he used the Kerbal X or a builded VAB rocket. It isn't anything fishy. The ribbons aren't like real "Accomplishments" they're just basically for a sig anyways. But mine are really accomplished. I was so happy when i landed on the mun. On topic anyways, To make an ICBM All you really need is a missile and some little missiles on the side refer to these 2 links :wink:http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lazor-guided-weapons/ http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/lazor-system/ Really you don't need a decoupler, All you need is those 2 packs and just hit space bar and they'll launch in the direction their pointed. But so you don't explode in air it's probably better if you have a decoupler.:confused:

So the Mainsail fires first, followed by one of the radially mounted sideways engines, ending with the other radially mounted sideways engine and both decouplers.

I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but it looks to be a wonderful fireworks display.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.