[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Hmm. But even if I put a generator on the nuclearEngine that makes 45 units per second of ElectricCharge, it still produces no ElectricCharge whatsoever, regardless of warp. Both the stock and KSPX engine do this.
I haven't looked into it yet, but that sounds totally doable. Just adding an action that's VAB-only that switches to next config.

No idea about the generator issue then. Weird.

Known issue. Thought I sent you a fix for it. Or maybe I just posted it here instead of pushing it. I'll push what I have locally to github

But anyway, to fix it immediately,

Set the input/output resource rate to no less than 1e-13

The alternator should also be set to at least that much and preferably more. Propellant should also reflect some consumption of nuclearFuel to reflect loss of fuel rod material. (though not a very lot because all consumption rates combined should still allow the reactor a lifetime of several years). I think for alternator I have it set to 0.0000000005

SpacedInvader: KIDS still doesn't quite work with RF. For now what I suggest you do is apply KIDS "manually"--that is, remove KIDS, and then open RealSettings.cfg (in the RealFuels folder) and for each key = 0 n or key = 1 n line, cut n to 1/3.

i.e.

TLISP0
{
key = 0 286
key = 1 100
}

becomes

TLISP0
{
key = 0 95.3
key = 1 33.3
}

That said, how much of a "proper release" do you need for RSS? It's been game-stable for months, and now features the correct textures and heightmaps for Earth and most planets in the solar system. I mean, KSP *itself* is in alpha; don't be dissauded by the ALPHA in the RSS thread title. :)

I guess I didn't really think about it that way. I just got the impression from the first post that it wasn't quite ready for mass consumption just yet. I also kind of want to explore the Kerbol system beyond the Kerbin SOI before I give it up completely for ours, but I guess I can try RSS with the Kerbin 10x config and that would solve the real fuels scaling problem pretty quick.

SpacedInvader: Yeah, also, I haven't edited the first post in forever (i.e. since v2 or so); it makes things sound much more scary than they are.

As always but ESPECIALLY this time it is vital you follow the installation instructions for both Stretchy v9 (if you haven't switched to PP yet) and this when upgrading. Files have moved.

Changelog

v5 = \/

*Moved RF-related Stretchy parts to RF.

*Add back missing HTP, N2O entries

*Speed improvements from Ferram (thanks!)

*ModuleEnginesFX support

*Firespitter tanks don't change basemass now.

*Fixed volume problems when rescaling StretchyTanks

*Fixed ModuleHybridEngine (used for, e.g. the bi/trimodal NTRs).

*Added Version Checker (Majiir, Ferram): RF will now warn you when run on a different version of KSP.

*Added Starwaster's fixes to NTRs and to the HeatPump

*taniwha: add support for resource/mass updates

I have just installed this but I don't seem to be getting a list of resources to add to the tank. I'm using RO and stretchy tanks and all mods associated with RO.

I'm probably doing something stupid. Can someone help me out?

EDIT: I may have screwed this up by trying to edit tanks in the VAB and not trying to use the Action group editor. Apologies for the bandwidth wastage.

Edited by TimeforAction

Thanks for the mod, i like the complexity it adds.

I am trying to get it to work with RPL.

I first tried installing it without RealismOverhaul v3, it didn't work (none of the engines were supported, im assuming i needed to write up config's?)

I then installed realism overhaul and it seemed to work but the AEIS engine models where huge, i found that it was /gamedata/SFJBRealEngines/real_engines_rescale.cfg causing this, so i deleted it and everything seemed ok until i realized i can't throttle the engines that use real fuels.

i dont see anything in the thread about this problem, haven't found anything on google (or the forum search) and i'm pretty sure i should be able to throttle the engines...right?

p.s. i have all the mods from RLP installed.

That's correct. In real life, hardly any engines are actually throttleable, they're either ignited, or not.

And you don't need to write up your own engine cgfs unless you want to. Just use ONE and ONLY ONE of the following: SFJBRealEngines, RftSEngines, or StockEngines.

Grim187: as the RPL tree OP (that lists its required mods, and that gave you this very link) says:

#4 - Realism Overhaul Tweak/Resize Pack - By NathanKell & Myself (LINK): NOTE: follow the instructions immediately below the download to switch to the RftSEngines engine configs.

Hey, figured this would be a good place to post, if not could you let me know where to put it?

I've been having a problem with your mod. I installed it fine, everything appears fine, but the UI is non functioning. I can get it to appear, however when I do, I can't scroll down or left/right, and most of the time none of the buttons work. When they do, they fill the entire tank with one resource, and its impossible for me to modify the amounts. I'd really appreciate help, I love the concept of this mod.

I am using the Realism Overhaul, this happens with every part, including KW rocketry parts, stock parts, and stretchy srb.

Hey, figured this would be a good place to post, if not could you let me know where to put it?

I've been having a problem with your mod. I installed it fine, everything appears fine, but the UI is non functioning. I can get it to appear, however when I do, I can't scroll down or left/right, and most of the time none of the buttons work. When they do, they fill the entire tank with one resource, and its impossible for me to modify the amounts. I'd really appreciate help, I love the concept of this mod.

I am using the Realism Overhaul, this happens with every part, including KW rocketry parts, stock parts, and stretchy srb.

Make sure you have only one engine config installed, otherwise something like "cannot scroll the window" might happen.

Just to double check:

I'm waiting to go full RSS/Realism overhaul until the new RPL comes out. In the meantime, I'm running the stock universe, but I'd like some more depth to the rocket experience.

1) From the FAQ in the 3rd post: "If you just want something like a stock KSP experience (with heavier engines and tanks), then open RealFuels/RealSettings.cfg and find useRealisticMass = true and change the true to false. You will get approximately stock-KSP-level performance out of your engines and tanks." This is still applicable, right? I just want a "stock" experience while having to worry about fuel types, boil-off, etc.

2) Does the stock engine config in the second post also include parts-packs like NP, KW? I think I saw references to them in there, but I would just like to make sure.

thanks

andqui: Yes and yes. Your Isp will be somewhat lower than stock KSP engines, unless you're using hydrolox, but that brings its own problems (higher tank dry mass hurts hydrolox something fierce).

Thanks. Also, I've looked and all of the engines are fully throttle-able, at least in the first three rocketry nodes of the stock tree. Is this intentional? Should I go and ask in the Engine Ignitor thread, or is that Real Fuel's area?

Stockalike is "normal engines with more fuel choices". If you want limited throttling and ignitions you'll need to use RftS. (Real Engines doesn't have ignitor configs yet but does have real throttling)

Thanks- is RtfS only for the up-scaled RSS, or can I use it in a stock environment?

andqui: You can use it either way. It has 1m/2m/3m sizes rather than 1.25m/etc, but with stretchies and procedural fairings/interstages that shouldn't matter.

Stir_Fry_Beans: please post your mod list and your KSP folder/KSP_Data/output_log.txt (NOT, repeat NOT, your ksp.log). FYI you *can't* drag the window anyway; that's working as designed. Can you add and remove resources?