InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

AIM-120 would be radar guided. But yeah, there surely is room to expand!

The rocket/missile hardpoint will have a totally different model eventually, I just scaled the ordnance hp for simplicity and to save some time.

One thing I did add in testing is a second torpedo.. this one is propelled for shooting off the side of a ship or launching from a sub, I'm testing it alongside the boatparts update now. I'll see what I can do to get more variety in the next update. Really what I do is pick a hole, and then find a weapon to add to fill that gap, and write the code in to make it happen. Heat seeking is by far the most expensive of the lot in terms of performance loss, next would be the CIWS.

YAY! Thanks for all your time you gave into these two mods i like them very much!

No luck with the Kerbenders, they seem to prefer my jet engines over the enemies...

At best i can get one of the missiles to lock the enemy but the other one still chases me, I've tried guard mode, IFF differences with all no luck

if you could create a kerbender that does react differently in the air that would be great.

Module manager can't be used, the first version of Skillful I wrote my own module that injected the module on all parts in the game at load time... essentially using the same method as module manager (KSPAddon). The issue with that is none of the parts will then save the persistent values that skillful needs to keep track of to know what was damaged on the last mission/flight. Then I made my own part save code that wrote a save file for the parts so they could re-load all that persistent data.... it worked for the most part but was really buggy and all that writing to disk slows the game down a bit.

I decided to tank that because of all the issues and just make it cfg edits.

<snip>

Hopefully more part-mod authors will jump on board and just add the 5 lines required by skillful to track any damage. Plugin Authors can also msg me and I'll tell them what to add to allow for their custom modules to react to the parts skillful damage state. Snjo is doing this for firespitter, and there are a few others that are interested.

Gotya, ok well Im going to make a wee app that can handle this situation for you - so you can bulk select parts, see what parts have what kind of material etc.

Would you be so kind as to list all of the materials that are available - and what the in-game effects on damage etc are? Or is there somewhere I can look (other than through hundreds of parts.cfg files hahaha)

Yup. Into the GameData folder, extract the .bat file (which worked perfectly). In the IDIFFTags directory under Parts, I only have 3 files: 1 Model, 1 Texture, 1 .cfg.

When I put the IFF beacon on a craft, then designed another with the Auto-Tracking turrets and NO IFF tag, nothing happens.

Also, not getting reticles (not sure if I even know how to view them).

Side note, I had to download the mod 3 times to get a non-corrupted file. Maybe something just didn't DL properly.

Anyone else only seeing the Red IFF tag in VAB/SPH?

The guide on the first page explains why, you should have a look, it's real helpful! There is supposed to be just the red IFF tag in the parts list, when you launch the craft you can toggle it to blu team. It's kind of better like this, it stops any base defenses near the runway insta-gibbing your craft if it spawned blu. Though a name change to just 'IFF Tag' may make sense ID, and also put in the part description that you should put the tag on every craft and it is togglable to each team.

Like the sound of that torpedo, it'll make ship combat a bit more interesting and make carriers themselves have some anti-capitol; the normal one was a pain in the arse to mount in ships.... Could you make the torpedoes on a new, different hard point please? Just to keep the bomb one for bombs, and the missile one for missiles :)

Sounds interesting, wood, hardwood, aluminum, aluminum2, lightsteel, hardenedalloys, steelarmour, compositearmour - for now

wood is of course weakest and should be used for sensitive things like lights which might break easy,, or snjos ww1 aircraft parts

aluminum is parts which rely on a light aluminum skin to perform their function like aircraft wings and normal fuselage.

aluminum2 is a reinforced structural aluminum with stronger bulkheads, cockpits and some fuel tanks

lightsteel is generally for steel parts aka mild steel, landing gears, ship hulls etc.

hardenedalloys are for engines, or other parts made for specialized functions that are would require the extra expense.

steelarmour is typical hardened steel, battleships, normal tanks, armour plates etc.

compositearmour is the best combination of special steels, alloys, ceramics, and any other materials. The most high tech modern tank would use this.

There will be reactionary code created, wherein choosing a harder material will increase the mass and cost of the part accordingly. Can't have compositearmour ww1 bi-planes flying around can we? :)

Side note, I had to download the mod 3 times to get a non-corrupted file. Maybe something just didn't DL properly.

Yeah, curse did that for me too, but for me it was because my computer went to screensaver, so it stopped the download part way through and said it was finished, but when i opened it it was corrupted. You just have to make sure it completely downloads. Also, use curse forge. its a lot simpler than regular curse.

Sounds interesting, wood, hardwood, aluminum, aluminum2, lightsteel, hardenedalloys, steelarmour, compositearmour - for now

wood is of course weakest and should be used for sensitive things like lights which might break easy,, or snjos ww1 aircraft parts

aluminum is parts which rely on a light aluminum skin to perform their function like aircraft wings and normal fuselage.

aluminum2 is a reinforced structural aluminum with stronger bulkheads, cockpits and some fuel tanks

lightsteel is generally for steel parts aka mild steel, landing gears, ship hulls etc.

hardenedalloys are for engines, or other parts made for specialized functions that are would require the extra expense.

steelarmour is typical hardened steel, battleships, normal tanks, armour plates etc.

compositearmour is the best combination of special steels, alloys, ceramics, and any other materials. The most high tech modern tank would use this.

There will be reactionary code created, wherein choosing a harder material will increase the mass and cost of the part accordingly. Can't have compositearmour ww1 bi-planes flying around can we? :)

That sounds amazing!

Ok, is that from weakest to toughest?

Im going to put in the app a sort of 'apply suggested' button, so that you dont have to do every single item - engines become hardenedalloys, structure become lightsteel etc.

But depending on how much support you give it (In other words, how useful it is to you, and others) - I can probably expand it.

Its almost finished - just bug checking to make sure it doesnt gobble up the cfgs and ruin an install.

I guess I should have read your post in full before typing the first sentence hahahaha ;)

Will that be in the original cfgs, or applied at runtime of KSP?

Is there going to be a lighter, un armored metal like in Japanese zeroes?

Hey ID that new material thing is awesome and has nobody noticed the amazing new FX of the grey/orange smoke pillars they are great! Also I still have trouble adding a targeter to my objects/cockpits, ill post my cfg if you want. thanks for the great mod.

Hey! Just wondering do you know about how you can be about 500 meters from a heat source/fire on the ground and your aircraft just starts exploding it seems the heat range is huge! And cant wait for the boats part .5 release going to be awesome, your mods are the only reason I stay on Kerbin and spend most of my time there! Thanks for the great mods!

1) For now yes that's the order. - Things are subject to change - as with all things.

2) Hard coded.

Gotya, Ill put in some suggestion methods into the app, however, theres some extra data if you could also explain it (Im currently leaving alone for the first app release)

A few of your items have descriptions like:

MODULE

{

name = targetPart

objectType = targetObj

targetHardness = 400

targetNotVoid = 1

targetStructure = 2

targetType = 2

}

And other variants. Should I care about these, or leave them be for now?

Extra Super Duralumin? Could probably just use Aluminum like the other plane parts Id guess.

That's too heavy; in the war Japan didn't use self sealing fuel tanks And used minimal armor to save weight. They weigh about half the weight of your typical American propeller fighter, and therefore zeroes are much more maneuverable.

Edited by 736

That's too heavy; in the war Japan didn't use self sealing fuel tanks And used minimal armor to save weight. They weigh about half the weight of your typical American propeller fighter, and therefore zeroes are much more maneuverable.

The zero's maneuverability was more due to its large engine making it easily able to outmaneuver old American Wildcat fighters and about on par with naval corsairs later in the war when the hellcat came out Zeros were shot down in droves by American pilots. Despite being significantly heavier the hellcat had bigger guns and a massive (comparatively speaking) engine making it no contest. Moral of the story weight reduction doesn't always mean better there is a critical balance between mass and power

- - - Updated - - -

...and tended to explode when shot, or simply fall apart...

If your referring to Zeros that was late war when the Japanese were out of spare parts and patching them with anything they could find

Hey! Just wondering do you know about how you can be about 500 meters from a heat source/fire on the ground and your aircraft just starts exploding it seems the heat range is huge! And cant wait for the boats part .5 release going to be awesome, your mods are the only reason I stay on Kerbin and spend most of my time there! Thanks for the great mods!

It really depends what made the fire. At the moment all the fires are broken down to two effects smallfire or largefire. But I plan on making these fires scale depending on the power of the explosion... or if there are 3 small fires within x metres... it will scale to one larger fire.

Secondly... in some cases you have 2 or more fires in one general location, and the heat compounds.

Rarely do I see heat affecting things 500m away, did you drop an incendiary tallboy or something? :)

- - - Updated - - -

A few of your items have descriptions like:

I'd just leave those out, they are either depreciated or soon will be.

Hey dice can we get a tiny hint at what's in the works for skillful? Just a hint?

Nothing but fixes for a bit... I'm changing over to ICE to get it up to date for Skillful, after that the Naval Aircraft pack. I've delayed that long enough :)

There will likely be an Skillful r1.5 release - adding a few things 1) the limpet mines that used to be in BoatParts 2) air/ship deployed depth charges, 3) an artillery piece 88mm that can be used as artillery and/or anti-aircraft artillery. Possibly a kerbal dropped satchel charge for covert ops! - That's about it. - Look for this after the ICE update sometime.

Skillful R2 will have the space oriented weapons. - Likely not starting this till after Naval Aircraft is out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.