InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

sorry to be a pain i.d., but can I just say that some lighter turrets that fire faster and are smaller, and future and modern weapons such miniguns and railguns would be an amazing addition to an already amazing mod.

I think I've just found a bug. I noticed that on my ground attack targets, my Rovemax Model M1 wheels started exploding. Upon checking for the cause, I found they exploded due to overheating. The entire rover, in fact, was running at a temperature of 3000 degrees, transmitted I think from either the wheels or the Rovemate.

I think I've just found a bug. I noticed that on my ground attack targets, my Rovemax Model M1 wheels started exploding. Upon checking for the cause, I found they exploded due to overheating. The entire rover, in fact, was running at a temperature of 3000 degrees. Or does this have something to do with the fact it has six RTGs on board?

Do you use Kerbal INterstellar?

Nope. I thought of that, and since I don't have it, there's definitely no WasteHeat involved!

Are you saying the wheels just automatically heat to 3000 on launch? :) I haven't seen that before.

Some times near misses cause ground fires that are actually under the terrain level slightly, this could cause it.

You know what, for all the testing I did, I didn't actually launch a new truck and test its immediate heating! I'll make sure to do that when I get on tomorrow. You could be right about the fires, because I had a couple of HE 500lb bombloads which dropped ~50m away from the target on my first run.

While we're talking about odd behaviours, I also had strange things happen with the individual Lau missiles. I fired six from an altitude of around 800m, with HE warheads, but when they impacted (I was by now at 1000m directly above the impact site) my plane disintegrated, with some parts yellow and most outright destroyed. Is that the same thing, heating from fires, just at very long range?

By the way. This mod, coupled with procedurals and FAR, has made building warbirds and military planes worth it again. Now we have some decent weapons to slap on and test. I've already got myself a turboprop powered P-51 and P-38 with somewhat accurate armament! Thank you so much!

While we're talking about odd behaviours, I also had strange things happen with the individual Lau missiles. I fired six from an altitude of around 800m, with HE warheads, but when they impacted (I was by now at 1000m directly above the impact site) my plane disintegrated, with some parts yellow and most outright destroyed. Is that the same thing, heating from fires, just at very long range? Thank you so much!

They can at times hit your own vessel and cause a fire. Sometimes you don't notice it and the heat takes a while to build up till it reaches critical.

Heat drops exponentially with range, so that can't be it. To test. Fire an incendiary tank or battleship round at the ground, then slowly drive up to the fire. You can observe how the parts facing the fire are super hot the closer they get. Parts inside or at the back of the vessel will remain cooler.

You're welcome I'm glad you like it.

Is there a reason my wings aren't visibly on fire/did you remove visible fires for wings and fuel tanks?

I do have some limits yes. I'll review the conditions in the next release. The issue is, nobody can afford 30 particle effects for burning parts... so there has to be a limit to the effects. What I might try doing is fx grouping/scaling. So if there are x number of small fires in x proximity, then make it one effect and scale it larger. And so on...

I use a lot of mods, so Ill check for compatibility for them and post my findings.

Is there a reason why you are using cfg overwrites instead of moducle manager? Just wondering if its a licencing thing or something.

<snip>

Edited by LuciferNZ
Removed suggestion for an ext. app - no need

Okay, so I've stationed a new target in the same place, but I'm not seeing the heating effects from before. However, it has been a couple of ingame hours, so if there were fires, could they have gone out?

I hope you will like this video I posted just yesterday using the new update. Aerial combat FTW!

Just a suggestion BTW, since I can't use the AIM-9k missiles due to them turning back on my plane, I still think the Zephyrs should get a speed upgrade. I'm noticing that with using ferram the missiles just can't keep up (this is shown in the video)

Edited by harpwner

It's weird...for the release before this one, I could have my entire plane on fire with no lag. But if there was a large fire, like the one that happens to the armored chassis, the game would lag into oblivion every time I got near it. Oh, and fuel tanks aren't visibly on fire either. Is there a way I could change this without having to learn Unity?

I really don't know. My crafts sometimes spread out on launch and then re-form when physics kicks in. It seems the bigger the craft, the less this happens. I'm going to go ahead and say that I THINK (underline, underline, bolded) it has something to do with the part hitboxes.

@InfiniteDice, I sent you a PM. Please, read it when/if you can. It's about compatibility of IDSkillful and Module Manager.

Edited by Uzric

I use a lot of mods, so Ill check for compatibility for them and post my findings.

Is there a reason why you are using cfg overwrites instead of moducle manager? Just wondering if its a licencing thing or something.

<snip>

Module manager can't be used, the first version of Skillful I wrote my own module that injected the module on all parts in the game at load time... essentially using the same method as module manager (KSPAddon). The issue with that is none of the parts will then save the persistent values that skillful needs to keep track of to know what was damaged on the last mission/flight. Then I made my own part save code that wrote a save file for the parts so they could re-load all that persistent data.... it worked for the most part but was really buggy and all that writing to disk slows the game down a bit.

I decided to tank that because of all the issues and just make it cfg edits.

Adding the 5 lines for each part will not prevent the use of module manager for other things, nor will it do anything horrible if you decided to remove the skillful directory, if it doesn't find the module's dll then it simply doesn't run the code for that module.

Hopefully more part-mod authors will jump on board and just add the 5 lines required by skillful to track any damage. Plugin Authors can also msg me and I'll tell them what to add to allow for their custom modules to react to the parts skillful damage state. Snjo is doing this for firespitter, and there are a few others that are interested.

Thanks for the comments guys. Hey when you get a moment go thumbs up SKillful on Curse, I have 0 thumbs and over 500 downloads! :)

Later!

I hope you will like this video I posted just yesterday using the new update. Aerial combat FTW! Just a suggestion BTW, since I can't use the AIM-9k missiles due to them turning back on my plane, I still think the Zephyrs should get a speed upgrade. I'm noticing that with using ferram the missiles just can't keep up (this is shown in the video)

The Zephyrs were meant to be A-G missiles, you're right they are not terribly fast. The Kerbenders should do what you need... I'm wondering how you were firing them. They should track a forward heat source, if they are having issues I could give them a secordary air-air mode that will make them behave slightly different if launched while flying.

The Zephyrs were meant to be A-G missiles, you're right they are not terribly fast. The Kerbenders should do what you need... I'm wondering how you were firing them. They should track a forward heat source, if they are having issues I could give them a secordary air-air mode that will make them behave slightly different if launched while flying.

Hmmmm... I think you should do 2 different types of anti-air missile: the SAM, which is the current Kerbender; but also a AAM that is different and is specified for using on planes... It could be an AMRAAM, like a Kerbender which doesn't have the guardian mode, but then they are much lighter (more useful for planes) and longer range (as they are offensive missiles, rather than defensive). Any thoughts on that?

Otherwise, yeah I understand that the Zephyr is anti-ground... One thing with the missiles though; could you make the hardpoint bigger? This would make it easier to click on, and stop missiles sitting inside the wings (it looks weird). To differentiate between them and the bomb hardpoints, you could just make the missile one much longer (hard point goes most of the length of the missile), and then make the bomb ones greyer...

Edited by Random Tank

Hmmmm... I think you should do 2 different types of anti-air missile: the SAM, which is the current Kerbender; but also a AAM that is different and is specified for using on planes... It could be an AMRAAM, like a Kerbender which doesn't have the guardian mode, but then they are much lighter (more useful for planes) and longer range (as they are offensive missiles, rather than defensive). Any thoughts on that?

Otherwise, yeah I understand that the Zephyr is anti-ground... One thing with the missiles though; could you make the hardpoint bigger? This would make it easier to click on, and stop missiles sitting inside the wings (it looks weird). To differentiate between them and the bomb hardpoints, you could just make the missile one much longer (hard point goes most of the length of the missile), and then make the bomb ones greyer...

AIM-120 would be radar guided. But yeah, there surely is room to expand!

The rocket/missile hardpoint will have a totally different model eventually, I just scaled the ordnance hp for simplicity and to save some time.

One thing I did add in testing is a second torpedo.. this one is propelled for shooting off the side of a ship or launching from a sub, I'm testing it alongside the boatparts update now. I'll see what I can do to get more variety in the next update. Really what I do is pick a hole, and then find a weapon to add to fill that gap, and write the code in to make it happen. Heat seeking is by far the most expensive of the lot in terms of performance loss, next would be the CIWS.

That's interesting, i just thought since the nature of the missile was heat seeking it would make sense (but just in this mod) that it would turn towards my plane's heat source.

Ill try again and see if i cant fix it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.