[1.2] TweakableEverything 1.16-beta - For all your part tweaking needs

toadicus

Sent you a log output log in a P.M. I'm suspecting that it is to do with the new attach nodes put in on the ARM patch. They have been causing havoc in many mods as I'm sure you have seen... :(

*Edit* Tried latest version 2.2 of joint re-enforcer by Ferram and still the same... I use v2.0 because it it less "bendy"

Edited by Green Skull

Could you make crew capacity tweakable? I've often been frustrated when KSP auto fills all the seats when I only want one pilot. This is especially useful for people who use life support mods.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but you can already do that in the VAB. Click the crew button to the left of the craft name field, add/remove crew as needed.

I'm talking about limiting the pods so that KSP auto fills the pod only up to the number you specify.

Right now even if you take crew out of the pod in the VAB, as soon as you change the ship in any way, the pod gets filled completely again.

My idea would prevent that.

Could you make crew capacity tweakable? I've often been frustrated when KSP auto fills all the seats when I only want one pilot. This is especially useful for people who use life support mods.

Fantastic idea. Never thought to fix this particular problem with tweakables. If it can be done, I'd love it too.

Also, being able to tell KSP to always fill a particular capsule with people instead of the one it picks.

Fantastic idea. Never thought to fix this particular problem with tweakables. If it can be done, I'd love it too.

Also, being able to tell KSP to always fill a particular capsule with people instead of the one it picks.

Someone's tired of forgetting to fill the science lab, aren't they? :D

I'm totally on board with both those suggestions. Would be immensely handy for rescue missions when i find out a stowaway got on while I was fixing the staging :P

Someone's tired of forgetting to fill the science lab, aren't they? :D

I'm totally on board with both those suggestions. Would be immensely handy for rescue missions when i find out a stowaway got on while I was fixing the staging :P

Ha ha, while I've done both of those things for sure, these days I use Extraplanetary Launchpads so when I build ships they're always crewless. What I'd *really* love this for is my "3 to minmus" ship that is super small and has 3 command chairs on it. Currently, I have the 3 guys in a 3-man capsule and EVA them and then board each chair, then decouple the capsule before launch. If I could tweak the chairs to always auto-fill with a Kerbal instead, it'd really improve the process.

I'm talking about limiting the pods so that KSP auto fills the pod only up to the number you specify.

Right now even if you take crew out of the pod in the VAB, as soon as you change the ship in any way, the pod gets filled completely again.

My idea would prevent that.

It would prevent the pods being used at all. CrewCapacity refers to how many can fit in the pod. If you make that zero, nobody can fit in the pod.

It would prevent the pods being used at all. CrewCapacity refers to how many can fit in the pod. If you make that zero, nobody can fit in the pod.

Yes....What's your point? I want to tweak the capacity. Sometimes I want it to be 0.

I'm playing a permadeath career right now. No quicksave, autosave or reverts. In order to keep Kerbals from dying I test "manned" rockets by adding a probe core on top of an empty crew pod. It would be nice if I could set the crew capacity to 0 so I don't have to keep emptying the pod every time I add a battery to the bloody thing.

EDIT

Obviously the default would be the maximum.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I don't want to tweak the capacity, I specifically want to tweak the starting crew amounts. So a MK2 capsule I can set it to have only 1 guy in it, but later on when I get to my space station, 2 more can get in.

Like how when you tweak fuel in a tank, you're not setting the maximum amount, just what you go to the launch pad with.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Yes....What's your point? I want to tweak the capacity. Sometimes I want it to be 0.

I'm playing a permadeath career right now. No quicksave, autosave or reverts. In order to keep Kerbals from dying I test "manned" rockets by adding a probe core on top of an empty crew pod. It would be nice if I could set the crew capacity to 0 so I don't have to keep emptying the pod every time I add a battery to the bloody thing.

EDIT

Obviously the default would be the maximum.

While that's interesting niche use case, that's not what I was responding to. You said "I'm talking about limiting the pods so that KSP auto fills the pod only up to the number you specify." Which is why I just stated that setting CrewCapacity to 0 would have more far reaching results than that, many of which would be undesirable, which gave you a chance to explain your reasoning. Quite a reasonable, productive conversation I thought and after typing all that out I still can't figure out why you then responded with a tone of snark as if you'd suddenly decided to start channeling Yahtzee.

I don't want to tweak the capacity, I specifically want to tweak the starting crew amounts. So a MK2 capsule I can set it to have only 1 guy in it, but later on when I get to my space station, 2 more can get in.

Well, ideally the VAB/SPH would just remember what you'd picked from the Crew tab, and it's quite annoying that it doesn't (as I'm also playing permadeath/no reloads, like Jean-Kul up there). So I agree with you.

While that's interesting niche use case, that's not what I was responding to. You said "I'm talking about limiting the pods so that KSP auto fills the pod only up to the number you specify." Which is why I just stated that setting CrewCapacity to 0 would have more far reaching results than that, many of which would be undesirable, which gave you a chance to explain your reasoning. Quite a reasonable, productive conversation I thought and after typing all that out I still can't figure out why you then responded with a tone of snark as if you'd suddenly decided to start channeling Yahtzee.

Well text doesn't convey tone very well. Try not to read too much into it. You're right about capacity obviously, I missed the point at first. Horse's take on this is better as I said.

@toadicus - TweakableEverything prevents the inline clampotron from stack attaching correctly.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it's definitely to do specifically with adding the attachment node to the part. I don't have a fix yet, for a workaround until I do, edit TweakableDockingNode.cfg and comment out these lines:

// node_stack_tdn = 0, 0, -.671, 0, 0, 1, 1
// @MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
// {
// %referenceAttachNode = tdn
// }
// TDNnodeName = tdn
// AlwaysAllowStack = True

So the dockingPortLateral section should look like:

@PART[dockingPortLateral]:Final
{
// node_stack_tdn = 0, 0, -.671, 0, 0, 1, 1

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
%startEventGUIName = Open Shield
%endEventGUIName = Close Shield
}

// @MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
// {
// %referenceAttachNode = tdn
// }

@MODULE[ModuleTweakableDockingNode]
{
// TDNnodeName = tdn
// AlwaysAllowStack = True
deployAnimationControllerName = dockingporthull
}
}

That will disable the attachnode functionality of TweakableDockingNode and allow the part to be placed. I'm looking into a fix, but it's not looking trivial at this point.

Crew handling in KSP is fueled by dark magic. Tweaking numbers is easy, but changing auto-fill behavior is probably not. I'll look into it, though!

Speaking of docking nodes, I just had a crazy idea. Assuming it's even possible, what if the "nodeType = size1" in the following was tweakable?

MODULE
{
name = ModuleDockingNode
deployAnimationController = 1
nodeType = size1
}

Could this be a "poor man's" alternative to a universal docking port? Cpt. Kipard, this might be of special interest to you. :)

Please forgive me if this has already been suggested. And if I haven't said so already, thank you thank you thank you toadicus for this wonderful mod. I can't even imagine going back to KSP without it.

Could this be a "poor man's" alternative to a universal docking port? Cpt. Kipard, this might be of special interest to you. :)

Intriguing idea. I'm not sure how well that would work though. I suspect that from a gameplay point of view it might be difficult keeping track of what docking ports are compatible.

Something else might be in the work though. Stay tuned.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but it's definitely to do specifically with adding the attachment node to the part.

I've had trouble with this before, with any part that has more than a couple of attach nodes.

Turns out the order the nodes are read in by the game affects which ones can attach in the editor - to fix this, I've changed the dockingPortLateral section to look something like

@PART[dockingPortLateral]:Final
{
// remove original bottom node
!node_stack_bottom

node_stack_tdn = 0, 0, -.671, 0, 0, 1, 1

// add it back after stack_tdn to allow editor attaching
node_stack_bottom = // actual value

// etc...
}

Don't have the files nearby at the moment so I can't check the actual value, but you get the idea.

Random request, if its possible:

Airplane flaps can be tweaked to only affect yaw, pitch, and roll. Would it be possible to have similar toggles for RCS jets? I frequently only want to translate with RCS and not waste a ton of it rotating, but also don't want to have to keep turning RCS off and on while doing complex docking maneuvers.

I am muddling through with the one-directional ports but even those will thrust if they're off the center of mass, and you can't always put all your thrusters right on and pointing away from the center of mass

Random request, if its possible:

Airplane flaps can be tweaked to only affect yaw, pitch, and roll. Would it be possible to have similar toggles for RCS jets? I frequently only want to translate with RCS and not waste a ton of it rotating, but also don't want to have to keep turning RCS off and on while doing complex docking maneuvers.

I am muddling through with the one-directional ports but even those will thrust if they're off the center of mass, and you can't always put all your thrusters right on and pointing away from the center of mass

The short answer is no. :( Slightly longer: all of the code that decides how thrusters respond is locked up in Squad's methods, so to manipulate the way thrusters thrust, I'd need to reimplement some significant portion of the module, which is out of scope here. Sorry!

Is there a module aside from the one that contains all the other docking port functionality (I assume applying that module to something that wasn't a docking port wouldn't end well) which would allow fuel cross-feed to be toggled on a part, in the editor and in flight? If not, could that be offered at some point in the future?