What is ISP?

Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about my first Duna mission, and I know engine ISP is going to be important, or so I've been hearing. But what is it? I've looked it up on the Wiki, yet I'm still confused.

Could someone put ISP into simpler terms, and should I care about it when planning my missions?

Yes, a rocket with high Isp is good. Here's an equation you wanna learn by heart:

Delta V = Ve * ln(m0/m1)

Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation.

Ve is exhaust velocity relative to the rocket. You calculate it with Isp * 9.81.

m0 and m1 are full and dry mass, respectively

Now let's work it a bit. We take a rocket that ways 10t full and 5t empty, excluding the engine, and work out the equation with the efficient nuclear engine that weighs 2.5t.

Ve = 800 * 9.81 ~ 7848

m0 = 12.5

m1 = 7.5

Delta V = 7848 * ln(12.5/7.5) ~ 6682m/s

But if we take the less efficient and heavier mainsail, we get the values

Ve = 330 * 9.81 ~ 3237

m0 = 16

m1 = 11

Delta V = 3237 * ln(16/11) ~ 1213m/s

So, even while the Mainsail has far surperior thrust, the nuclear beats it at range.

Yes, a rocket with high Isp is good. Here's an equation you wanna learn by heart

Is it bad I enjoyed that post? Not exactly what the OP was after but it made me giggle.

I understand ISP to be pretty much the thing that helps me rate engine efficiency for long burns. If I need to go somewhere in the vacuum of space I go high ISP.

If I need to go from the ground to space I need thrust.

Is it bad I enjoyed that post? Not exactly what the OP was after but it made me giggle.

I understand ISP to be pretty much the thing that helps me rate engine efficiency for long burns. If I need to go somewhere in the vacuum of space I go high ISP.

If I need to go from the ground to space I need thrust.

Well if you're just making a very light probe you can get away with RAPIER engines which have very high ISP :)

Well if you're just making a very light probe you can get away with RAPIER engines which have very high ISP :)

The RAPIER engine is the worst rocket, Isp-in-vacuum wise, of it's radial size class and is arguably the worst jet engine in terms of overall efficiency. Its main (only?) advantage is it doubles as both a rocket and a jet engine, so you don't have to carry the mass of two different engine types.

=Smidge=

To put it still another way: Specific impulse is essentially a measure of how long it will take for a given engine to burn a given measure of fuel assuming a constant amount of thrust.

Purpletarget has a rather excellent video on the subject as part of his "Krash Test Kerbals" series, and I'd highly recommend you look at if you want a demonstration of what exactly that means.

The RAPIER engine is the worst rocket, Isp-in-vacuum wise, of it's radial size class and is arguably the worst jet engine in terms of overall efficiency. Its main (only?) advantage is it doubles as both a rocket and a jet engine, so you don't have to carry the mass of two different engine types.

=Smidge=

It should be more than one stage.... have it go to about 8-10 km then switch to something else like a poodle.

ISP basically means fuel efficiency.

I always use the nuclear engines for interplanetary transfers to conserve fuel. They've got the highest ISP available. Although they don't pack much thrust, so you might want to go with at least two of them so you don't have to burn for fifteen minutes. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.