What would your launch vehicle be.

AlexBrown

If you had unlimited funding and any technology we currently can build (this includes NERVA's and etc), what would your ideal launch vehicle be.

Mine personally would be a horizontal take of SSTO with 6 SABRE engines, with enough fuel to take 10 tons to GSO.

Edited by AlexBrown

Id go full on project Orion and launch a 10,000 ton plus ship into orbit! Boom or bust I say!

^^ This ^^

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28428-Orion-aka-Ol-Boom-boom (don't know if this works in 0.23)

iirc the risk assessments at the time showed the project to be not quite harmless but not outside the bounds of reason. And once in orbit you have the capability for something approaching space flight instead of our current 'tin can bobbling along the gravity lines with scarcely enough fuel for the next manoeuvre' technology.

a two stage, fully reusable, launch vehicle. First stage generic enough it can fit multiple upper stages for different requirements regarding orbit, payload size, payload mass, and payload composition.

Which might mean an option to add some extra boosters to that first stage, either reusable or not depending on cost.

Ha, I would put a gigant canon powered by antimatter, I would create a capsule with an indestructable material, I would create a medical treatment for astronauts for making them capable of resisting alot of G's, And I would shoot them to mars :D

Probably a bad idea... lol

Julio Verne Ftw

Ha, I would put a gigant canon powered by antimatter, I would create a capsule with an indestructable material, I would create a medical treatment for astronauts for making them capable of resisting alot of G's, And I would shoot them to mars :D

Probably a bad idea... lol

Julio Verne Ftw

Just saying, I don't think that's current technology seeing that it would take us OVER 10 MILLION YEARS TO MAKE ONE GRAM OF ANTI-MATTER. Although one gram of antimatter would make 600 MN of thrust when combined with normal matter.

Edited by AlexBrown
Further research proves old information ld

NASA's Shuttle system (upgraded) for small payloads to LEO.

Otherwise, rockets for everything else:

Upgraded Space Launch System for everything.

Triple Saturn V's for large manned missions (5 people or more) to anywhere other than the Moon. Add SRBs or LFBs as needed.

Well, I'd start by using that funding on R&D for super-efficient fuels and engines, then I'd use those fuels and engines to lift more of them to space, where they would be assembled into a near-light-speed craft to reach another solar system, or at least the Oort cloud fast.

First, a fully reusable SSTO, like Skylon but much larger and more efficient. Once in orbit it would switch to efficient NTR's for long-range deployments.

Then, a huge 3 stage rocket with 30 meter core stage powered by an alternative nuclear rocket designed for more atmospheric efficiency, surronded by 4 super-advanced SRB's. The third stage will achieve orbit with a 4 NTR engine cluster. Designed for launching crazy payloads.

Finally, stretching the bonds of realism even more, a huge railgun device for launching antimatter powered craft into space and beyond.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.