[Multiplayer] Different people represent different space programs

Since Kerbal Space Program is essentially a Space Program Simulator, I would definitely like it if the multiplayer mode utilizes the theme that each player is a different space program. Having this "theme" would allow players to compete with each other for Public in their own Careers, and possibly allow players to do things such as buy tech off of each other or share the science gained from a joint mission.

Players could also have their own space centers. Since there would only ideally be at the most 10 people per server, SQUAD could set up 10 predetermined locations for space center construction which players joining a server for the first time could pick from, and then do all of their launches from the site. This would also take away the need for a "network bubble" around the space center like KMP does it, as different players' rockets would launch from different areas.

Technically he is not asking for multiplayer.

^^LOGIC!!

As of KerbalKon, Multiplayer was confirmed as being moved from 'hopes' to 'plans' by Squad on KSP's 'to-do' list. With Squad officially stating they will be trying to put it in the stock game sometime in the future (as in september of this year perhaps), I think the OP is justified in making a suggestion as to HOW it's executed since he is not directly suggesting it in and of itself.

That said, I personally think this would be extremely beneficial as another player launching a rocket less than a minute after someone else's may lead to some unexpected mid-launch collisions, which would ruin everyone's day.

Guys, no need to get angry here. As far as I know, no one here has a moderator title (apart from me), so no one is in position to tell who can and cannot do stuff. If you are thinking this thread should be closed, report it and let us do our job.

Now Multiplayer is on the WNTS, however, the WNTS is a list of what not to ask for. Since he is proposing a way to do it, and that Multiplayer is not a feature that is confirmed to not happen anymore, this thread is good to go.

This means carry on and keep your SRBs calm.

I think the OP's idea is a good one. I'd love to be able to launch my missions from a different location, even in single player mode. Say, we can choose from a bunch of locations to build our space center.

Edited by Mitchz95

Hmm. This sonds like a very good idea. Maybe we could use cosmodromes and spaceports in locations like KSC2 (Inclined launch area), and possibly even have the players "build" (Control the layout of the complex, and choose one area from a multitude of options, like maybe 20 to 30 possible sites around the planet, including the island runway (Spaceplane only?), KSC2 and the original KSC) their space centre in their preferred location to start the game.

Hmm. This sonds like a very good idea. Maybe we could use cosmodromes and spaceports in locations like KSC2 (Inclined launch area), and possibly even have the players "build" (Control the layout of the complex, and choose one area from a multitude of options, like maybe 20 to 30 possible sites around the planet, including the island runway (Spaceplane only?), KSC2 and the original KSC) their space centre in their preferred location to start the game.

I like the idea of picking out a location on the map and then having that area cleared out and flattened for you to then construct your space center. That might also call for the ability to zoom in a bit further on the orbit view.

This still leaves the question of how to deal with time acceleration. How do you deal with a player that's warping 100x normal speed, another that's going 1000x times, and a third that's not warping at all, all at the same time?

Or do you just restrict everyone to normal time acceleration?

For everyone posting: Yes, I've read the what-not-to-suggest list, and yes, I've seen the endless supply of people suggesting squad do multiplayer as if the idea had never been brought up prior.

As far as I could tell from what the devs where saying during Kerbal Con, they are considering making a Multiplayer game mode after the SP reaches scope completion. They reached this decision after the "Kerbal Multiplayer Plugin" created a working, albeit buggy multiplayer. I am not suggesting the addition of multiplayer, but rather how multiple potential launches going off at once could be handled.

To answer Terran's question, KMP uses a clever solution for time warp which is too lengthy to describe whilst typing on a tablet but you can read about if you search for it in the forums. The devs will probably use this method as well.

0... 0... +1... +2... +3...

Guys, no need to get angry here. As far as I know, no one here has a moderator title (apart from me), so no one is in position to tell who can and cannot do stuff. If you are thinking this thread should be closed, report it and let us do our job.

Now Multiplayer is on the WNTS, however, the WNTS is a list of what not to ask for. Since he is proposing a way to do it, and that Multiplayer is not a feature that is confirmed to not happen anymore, this thread is good to go.

This means carry on and keep your SRBs calm.

..oh :P

To answer Terran's question, KMP uses a clever solution for time warp which is too lengthy to describe whilst typing on a tablet but you can read about if you search for it in the forums. The devs will probably use this method as well.

To help explain, in a nutshell, every player warps independently of other players and when time and circumstance permits, or when the player chooses, their actions are synchronized with the other players. Just think of it as time travel.

So for example, imagine two players starting a game. One player launches a rocket and puts it in orbit without warping. The other player sees this more or less in real time (this is a bit buggy). However, then they transfer to another planet and warp, their position from the other player's perspective is locked where they started the warp. When they end the warp and return to real time, the other player gets the option to synchronize, which essentially sets their date and time to the furthest player in time, after which they will see the current position of the other player's ship.

That's my basic understanding of it anyway.

I can't think of any other way to maintain a stable multiplayer system.

• 3 weeks later...

The idea is good indeed! Think about it:

- career mode starts. Players choose the location where to build their Space Center. Equatorial positions are far more expensive.

- at start players' KSC will have very few KSC buildings (maybe barracks style, to launch only some V2 style rockets), they will gain money and tech by performing missions in competition with other players (cooperation is always possible). Player syncronization is an issue here (maybe would be better, but much harder, to design AI players).

- everything needs money; from fuel (fuel depot building at KSC?) to recovery of a landed craft (the farther from KSC the more expensive will be).

Just some ideas running into my head.

Bye!

To help explain, in a nutshell, every player warps independently of other players and when time and circumstance permits, or when the player chooses, their actions are synchronized with the other players. Just think of it as time travel.

So for example, imagine two players starting a game. One player launches a rocket and puts it in orbit without warping. The other player sees this more or less in real time (this is a bit buggy). However, then they transfer to another planet and warp, their position from the other player's perspective is locked where they started the warp. When they end the warp and return to real time, the other player gets the option to synchronize, which essentially sets their date and time to the furthest player in time, after which they will see the current position of the other player's ship.

That's my basic understanding of it anyway.

I can't think of any other way to maintain a stable multiplayer system.

Hmmm.. I cannot think of any multiplayer game that allows time warps. Mutiplayer syncronization do not allow anyone to accelerate time. This will make KSP very slow and boring, to wait hours to get a probe into Mun orbit isn't so fun. Of course the problem can be solved with AI players, but it will not be multiplayer.

Hmmm.. I cannot think of any multiplayer game that allows time warps. Mutiplayer syncronization do not allow anyone to accelerate time. This will make KSP very slow and boring, to wait hours to get a probe into Mun orbit isn't so fun. Of course the problem can be solved with AI players, but it will not be multiplayer.

The post you quoted describes the exact thing that you're saying can't happen in the game. It has been proven to work, thought slightly buggy, and id definitely can be implemented.

And I agree with this idea. It would be cool if you could build your space center with a Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 type editor, and then add buildings as you get more money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.