Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

In our version, by having the drop tank attached on both ends and structural, the vehicle is relieved of the support mass of the truss when the tank is empty, making it in theory more efficient than carrying the structural drop tank truss around everywhere. Also it conveniently is easier to model in KSP that way. In the future we will model a more dynamic inflatable habitat to replace the paint can shaped hab we use now, however it's not ready yet. :)

Quick question, where in the CMES folder structure is the green bulkhead in these pictures located?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/2426/VHzD8c.jpg

That part was made recently and we have not released an update that includes it.

Is 64k supposed to be used in conjunction with this?

Not really

The fairings I could care less about, it's that lander frame that I'm interested in seeing being developed.

One benefit of not using the fairing interface is that you don't need the extra mass of a frame to fit the hardware in such a way. What we're saying is that the shape itself reduces efficiency both from initial up mass, lower Duna (Mars) interface drag, and the awkward arrangement of fitting the lander sideways (requiring frame). By doing it our way, more mass hits the ground with less retro fuel as well.

I know you were just asking for a cool looking part to fly around, but part of our mission statement is to depict a specific and semi realistic vision for exploration, and I'm just explaining why we chose that way vs the original constellation animations.

Edited by YANFRET

I know you had some good look inflatable habitat :)

No it was terrible we need a new one and we want it to have the indention on either end which is hard to model in KSP. Also we want the textures to remain undistorted through inflation which is also tricky.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A brief asteroid retrieval mission, for your perusal

The Ion-powered Asteroid Retrieval Tug was launched with an SLS Block I. The Asteroid Exploration Habitat (AEM), modified from existing stock delivered by Chaka Monkey, was launched by an EELV, and the Orion (not pictured yet), by the rocket in the 2nd image.

In our version, by having the drop tank attached on both ends and structural, the vehicle is relieved of the support mass of the truss when the tank is empty, making it in theory more efficient than carrying the structural drop tank truss around everywhere. Also it conveniently is easier to model in KSP that way. In the future we will model a more dynamic inflatable habitat to replace the paint can shaped hab we use now, however it's not ready yet. :)

That part was made recently and we have not released an update that includes it.

Not really

One benefit of not using the fairing interface is that you don't need the extra mass of a frame to fit the hardware in such a way. What we're saying is that the shape itself reduces efficiency both from initial up mass, lower Duna (Mars) interface drag, and the awkward arrangement of fitting the lander sideways (requiring frame). By doing it our way, more mass hits the ground with less retro fuel as well.

I know you were just asking for a cool looking part to fly around, but part of our mission statement is to depict a specific and semi realistic vision for exploration, and I'm just explaining why we chose that way vs the original constellation animations.

One thing I would like to see is a MAV for returns or a DAV, or no no no nevermind a MonkeyAV. Its really the only thing missing. A proper assent vehicle from Duna. Then I think the monkey system for landing on Duna would be complete.

One thing I would like to see is a MAV for returns or a DAV, or no no no nevermind a MonkeyAV. Its really the only thing missing. A proper assent vehicle from Duna. Then I think the monkey system for landing on Duna would be complete.

Our vertical Altair pod with extra propellant tanks taped to the sides is not convincing? hehehe

No it was terrible we need a new one and we want it to have the indention on either end which is hard to model in KSP. Also we want the textures to remain undistorted through inflation which is also tricky.

I did come up with a fix for the animation lag, btw.

I did come up with a fix for the animation lag, btw.

What I want to see is documentation on using Blend Shape animations in KSP. A few people have figured them out, using NLA Strip animations, but they are keeping their secret. Inflation REALLY needs Blend Shape animations to be visually accurate. Using geometric scaling just doesn't do the effect justice.

What I want to see is documentation on using Blend Shape animations in KSP. A few people have figured them out, using NLA Strip animations, but they are keeping their secret. Inflation REALLY needs Blend Shape animations to be visually accurate. Using geometric scaling just doesn't do the effect justice.

Agreed.

Next Gen MTV Support Module

• New expanded habitat part size and texture

• Kosmos Balaka Tunnel is back with new dimensions, node setup and new textures

• Also useful for Station expansion

n5ZwQa.jpg

qORvCA.jpg

fNNeEN.jpg

HdPR8z.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

hey, YANFRET! I really enjoy this mod thus far! Just launched the Orion Capsule into a 90km orbit via the Delta IV replica you included in this pack!

- - - Updated - - -

Would you suggest me using the RPM with this?

Cool!

Yeah RPM will enable the the IVA features designed by Alexustas!

Ok, thanks! Also, can you suggest a rocket launch order (for getting the tug prepared for the trip to Duna)? I'd really like to get this working as sort of a test to find out how best to build this other guy's space tug in the company I am in!

New Items

• KW 5 Meter tank adapted for 3.75 use (upper stage ICPS tank)

• KW 5 Meter Interstage adapted for 3.75 use

• New texture for Interstage

Being designed for larger rockets, these models have very fine detail and are an improvement over the classic KW Interstage and standard Chaka NP upper tank

NwIrs1.jpg

QrpQ2p.jpg

jfWBir.jpg

3iB67i.jpg

bKkVNv.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.