Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Right idea, different shape and engine :P Actually the casing looks very simple to make, just a cylinder with two slices chopped from either side and then a little rectangle attached to the bottom bit and holes cut out for the engines.

Or to be specific, this shape:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/5989/lHjwgw.jpg

The inside of the "vegetable slice" area looks cut out from the inside because of the brightness

Probably not all that important, but it looks like the BE-4 has been redesigned a bit, with the turbo pump assembly(?) rotated 90 degrees to be parallel to the engine bell.

CPqGd67.jpg

Good question I haven't decided yet. We need to refine the system and establish pros and cons of each.

Also I was considering splitting the pack into three parts, one for Lko, one for Mun, and one for Duna. Maybe in doing so we can establish separate roles for each.

In case you decide to scrap the EMLV, I'd like a legacy download for it so that we can keep flying it. They're pretty :)

Probably not all that important, but it looks like the BE-4 has been redesigned a bit, with the turbo pump assembly(?) rotated 90 degrees to be parallel to the engine bell.

http://i.imgur.com/CPqGd67.jpg

Wow you're right! Those pesky engineers, always changing things. On the one hand, who knows if someone at the art department was taking liberties there, and on the other, it seems everything above the bell will be hidden by this new engine mount part.

Anyone feel like taking a whack at modeling that shroud piece?

In case you decide to scrap the EMLV, I'd like a legacy download for it so that we can keep flying it. They're pretty :)

I promise! :D

Vulcan Update

• Corrected dimensions

• Stand in engine mount test article

aIK9hx.jpg

DdGpA9.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

http://i.imgur.com/CPqGd67.jpg

This actually makes me sad, everything else but the nozzles and the chamber remained untouched. Now the old model is obsolete. I'm kind of obsessive-compulsive that way :(

Chaka Vulcan development test article

Perhaps it's time for Chaka to have a Centaur model as well.

Isn't centaur using RL-10/s? It's the same engine with ICPS without extensions. Hmmm.

This actually makes me sad, everything else but the nozzles and the chamber remained untouched. Now the old model is obsolete. I'm kind of obsessive-compulsive that way :(

Isn't centaur using RL-10/s? It's the same engine with ICPS without extensions. Hmmm.

Hmm indeed! :P

You know I quite like the KW wildcat XR with new textures as a possible single engine centaur base. Dual engine would be a different matter.

I have been testing a few other parts for centaur such as tanks and adapters, but I think a new tank with the correct external fuel line and casings would be a fine thing to have.

Ps: hey well at least we didn't waste any more time re making the obsolete config! And with the proposed engine basket the nozzles are all we see anyway.

Also, Kartoffelkuchen has graciously agreed to make the engine mount part model!

Edited by YANFRET

Hmm indeed! :P

You know I quite like the KW wildcat XR with new textures as a possible single engine centaur base. Dual engine would be a different matter.

I have been testing a few other parts for centaur such as tanks and adapters, but I think a new tank with the correct external fuel line and casings would be a fine thing to have.

Ps: hey well at least we didn't waste any more time re making the obsolete config! And with the proposed engine basket the nozzles are all we see anyway.

Also, Kartoffelkuchen has graciously agreed to make the engine mount part model!

I don't really like Centaur as an upperstage. I think it's because of the design it has. Though I liked the atlas, It's good that you have someone to make an upperstage now, hoping to see more beautiful launchers!

Wow you're right! Those pesky engineers, always changing things. On the one hand, who knows if someone at the art department was taking liberties there, and on the other, it seems everything above the bell will be hidden by this new engine mount part.

Anyone feel like taking a whack at modeling that shroud piece?

I promise! :D

Vulcan Update

• Corrected dimensions

• Stand in engine mount test article

How many sides does the fuel tank have? An important consideration for making the shroud.

- - - Updated - - -

More detail here:

http://t.co/oPZVgJ6Y3V

Edited by GusTurbo

Thanks guys!

It's neat but I'm not sure what to do with it really. Chaka payloads are typically large mass and volume to low orbit style, with payloads leaving LKO using extremely large upper stages. Centaur allows you to send a practical, real world NASA payload anywhere in the solar system which is just a tad (yawn). It takes up a lot of space in the fairing and it's a bit fiddly in there considering in KSP we can't strut to fairing like they do on Atlas. And that's why I never wanted to model Atlas in the first place, it's a practical reasonable rocket and Chaka is an impractical cost aside fantasy vision of what could be done.

Would you guys like to see Vulcan and Centaur split off into a side pack optional Chaka download or should we find uses for the rocket within the payload framework we've already explored?

Or should we split the pack into two choices of 375 meter products, one more for SLS products (mun) and then a fourth with MLS for Duna, choosing payloads that would fit best into one of those buckets and including them accordingly?

Edited by YANFRET

Thanks guys!

It's neat but I'm not sure what to do with it really. Chaka payloads are typically large mass and volume to low orbit style, with payloads leaving LKO using extremely large upper stages. Centaur allows you to send a practical, real world NASA payload anywhere in the solar system which is just a tad (yawn). It takes up a lot of space in the fairing and it's a bit fiddly in there considering in KSP we can't strut to fairing like they do on Atlas. And that's why I never wanted to model Atlas in the first place, it's a practical reasonable rocket and Chaka is an impractical cost aside fantasy vision of what could be done.

Would you guys like to see Vulcan and Centaur split off into a side pack optional Chaka download or should we find uses for the rocket within the payload framework we've already explored?

Or should we split the pack into two choices of 375 meter products, one more for SLS products (mun) and then a fourth with MLS for Duna, choosing payloads that would fit best into one of those buckets and including them accordingly?

I think that would be an interesting separate pack. I mean if its something you aren't interested in then don't do it because as the model it should be fun for you. However a Chaka launchers pack with some payloads would be interesting. I mean it could go well with the scope of chaka because you could include resupply vehicles. Long range probes. You could Chakaize the FASA parts for say a Chaka Titan rocket. A Chaka launchers pack would be very interesting. Just your version of realy world launch vehicles. Atlas, Titan, Delta, Falcon 9, Ariane. I mean obviously im not saying you have to do all of the launchers I am just saying modify them the way that you modify everything else. In terms of payloads I mean you did Skylab 2 you could do like curiosity 2. I mean I would love to see what you could do what a rover. Yogui87 has a great curiosity rover replica and even aeroshell heatshield, skycrane, engine. Its a great pack. Its slightly outdated but man that could be cool. Long story short yes separate pack could be cool.

EDIT: Yogui87 I forgot even has a replica hubble telecope. That something tat could be a good paylaod too.

Edited by sp1989

I think that would be an interesting separate pack. I mean if its something you aren't interested in then don't do it because as the model it should be fun for you. However a Chaka launchers pack with some payloads would be interesting. I mean it could go well with the scope of chaka because you could include resupply vehicles. Long range probes. You could Chakaize the FASA parts for say a Chaka Titan rocket. A Chaka launchers pack would be very interesting. Just your version of realy world launch vehicles. Atlas, Titan, Delta, Falcon 9, Ariane. I mean obviously im not saying you have to do all of the launchers I am just saying modify them the way that you modify everything else. In terms of payloads I mean you did Skylab 2 you could do like curiosity 2. I mean I would love to see what you could do what a rover. Yogui87 has a great curiosity rover replica and even aeroshell heatshield, skycrane, engine. Its a great pack. Its slightly outdated but man that could be cool. Long story short yes separate pack could be cool.

EDIT: Yogui87 I forgot even has a replica hubble telecope. That something tat could be a good paylaod too.

haha never short of good ideas SP!

Monkey Centaur Testing:

IFzlxU.jpg

191Whe.jpg

8iTpTr.jpg

OYtUGP.jpg

New fairing shape as well!

Edited by YANFRET

I second this.

Great job, really like the new launch vehicle.

By the way I've been watching this mod...

Thank you!

SLS Texture Update + Download

Sometimes a texture update is so good you just gotta push it out immediatley. You can download this and overwrite the old texture files.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db00sq9zk99vjuz/NEW%20SLS%20TEXTURES.zip?dl=0

piaWqo.jpg

speoDz.jpg

pbCTmi.jpg

SsZT8N.jpg

Most important fix is the uneven texture seam that was down it's center line. Took the opportunity to improve normal and foam shading as well.

Edited by YANFRET

Thanks guys!

I think it would be a bit excessive to split it into four seperate packs, but a seperate CHAKA Launchers Pack like sp1989 suggested would be really cool.

I think it would be a bit excessive to split it into four seperate packs, but a seperate CHAKA Launchers Pack like sp1989 suggested would be really cool.

I think you both are absolutely right on that.

Launchers + Orion?

EDIT:

It's time to address an issue with Chaka SLS / MLS... core stage and SRB dimensions

OvxaDq.jpg

As you can see we've done a fine job of getting the upper stages right but the core stage and SRB config is too short. The Bobcat core stage model also seems stretched to reach even the length we're using it at, so my plan is to shrink it and the SRB even more top to bottom, and then add some space tanks to the tops of each.

Edited by YANFRET

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.