Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

Perhaps its a dumb question but i dont find any information about it.

Does this great mod work with deadly reentry? If i use the Inflatable Shield i cant find anything about the ablative shielding ... and if i try to reentry the pod flips around and get burned.

The instruction.txt tells me:

>> If you use FAR/DRE, you are compelled to check out the scripts included or you will die.<<

What do i have to check? Where to put in the *.cfg? Or do the Heatshields from "deadly reentry" work only?

My CFG can be placed in any directory under GameData to correct the FAR+DRE capsule death. I recommend putting it in the capsule's directory and maybe adding a :FOR section if you plan to use the capsule in some non-FAR games too.

My CFG can be placed in any directory under GameData to correct the FAR+DRE capsule death. I recommend putting it in the capsule's directory and maybe adding a :FOR section if you plan to use the capsule in some non-FAR games too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like those configs are for the pod only, rather than the heat shields, and only add FAR support. I don't see anything to do with DRE. Unless you are referring to configs not included in the download?

Thanks for Your help ... but it does not work for me. I have only DRE installed. I tried to use NEAR but it makes some parts from Umbra Space Industries (DERP-pod and Honey Badger) useless so i uninstalled NEAR.

The DRE heatshield works fine so ill take these.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like those configs are for the pod only, rather than the heat shields, and only add FAR support. I don't see anything to do with DRE. Unless you are referring to configs not included in the download?

I used a heat shield from a different mod than this one. You can use any shield you want. Yes, the config I posted was for FAR users. I thought I saw something about flipping upside down so the shield did not even matter. I have no idea how to make it work in stock since I never tried.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for Your help ... but it does not work for me. I have only DRE installed. I tried to use NEAR but it makes some parts from Umbra Space Industries (DERP-pod and Honey Badger) useless so i uninstalled NEAR.

The DRE heatshield works fine so ill take these.

Yea, with only DRE you're not going to get any benefit from a FAR config.

I used a heat shield from a different mod than this one. You can use any shield you want. Yes, the config I posted was for FAR users. I thought I saw something about flipping upside down so the shield did not even matter. I have no idea how to make it work in stock since I never tried.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, with only DRE you're not going to get any benefit from a FAR config.

I will do some quick research and come up with a solution for this, i'd like you to be able to use those products with Chaka.

Revised EMLV

♦ Dimensions adjusted to match Delta IV

♦ Texture Update

♦ Experimental nosecone **pending license**

♦ New engine adapter part (Thanks Tiberion!)

♦ Gap between cores adjusted

bFiPI7.jpg

y1P7r3.jpg

KpUCLU.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

What does adding the two GEM's to the 3-core version do? Whats the performance boost?

Great question. I added them because I was curious about that myself. On the heavy station core and attach payloads it adds about 150km to the maximum orbit. It allows the weak upper stage engine to be more efficient because it's much higher velocity at stage sep.

Great question. I added them because I was curious about that myself. On the heavy station core and attach payloads it adds about 150km to the maximum orbit. It allows the weak upper stage engine to be more efficient because it's much higher velocity at stage sep.

Okay, thats what I thought. The upper stage does get kinda iffy if it starts a little too early in the atmosphere. Makes sense to me!

Tried this mod for the first time today, so here's a few thoughts:

First of all, the appearance, sound effects and design of the crafts are all awesome, especially texturing. I'm very impressed with how you managed to improve upon the original versions of these parts. There is however one major problem - the mod is not working well with FAR, which is weird given that your crafts look like they should work very well with it. One thing I've noticed that is certainly causing problems is that the Orion fairings have no attachment points to anything above them (and therefore do not support the weight of the spacecraft above them), while the service module engine's attachment node is too small (which translates into too weak) to alone support the weight of the spacecraft under aerodynamic stress. Either of these has to change if the crafts are to be FAR-compatible. There also seems to be a problem with the center of lift of virtually all of your rockets being too high, which causes them too flip, but I have no idea what causes that.

There also seems to be a problem with the center of lift of virtually all of your rockets being too high, which causes them too flip, but I have no idea what causes that.

How fast are your rockets going into the gravity turn, especially under MechJeb control, if you have it? Cause I've observed in vanilla KSP that when in MechJeb control, since the autopilot focuses on getting onto the trajectory as close as possible without regard for the integrity of the rocket, if you go in too fast, you will flip out.

this contains an old version of KSPAPIExtensions.dll, any mods with other versions of this dll will cause serious conflicts... i had very strange issues of not being able to interact with any parts in the editor until i updated this dll.

this mod also contains a firespitter.dll... not sure if this will cause problems, but every other mod i've seen that has firespitter packages it in it's own folder and not inside the file structure of a mod.

Edited by Orange_Ignition

First of all, the appearance, sound effects and design of the crafts are all awesome, especially texturing. I'm very impressed with how you managed to improve upon the original versions of these parts. There is however one major problem - the mod is not working well with FAR, which is weird given that your crafts look like they should work very well with it. One thing I've noticed that is certainly causing problems is that the Orion fairings have no attachment points to anything above them (and therefore do not support the weight of the spacecraft above them), while the service module engine's attachment node is too small (which translates into too weak) to alone support the weight of the spacecraft under aerodynamic stress. Either of these has to change if the crafts are to be FAR-compatible. There also seems to be a problem with the center of lift of virtually all of your rockets being too high, which causes them too flip, but I have no idea what causes that.

Try setting all thrust limiters to around 70. I use FAR and I am able to fly all the rockets just fine.

Try setting all thrust limiters to around 70. I use FAR and I am able to fly all the rockets just fine.

Is this our own version of throttle down for the period which the vehicle is at maximum dynamic pressure??

Okay, I'll take a look. I've installed FAR and DRE for the fist time and I'll test everything and get a solution out to you guys.

this contains an old version of KSPAPIExtensions.dll, any mods with other versions of this dll will cause serious conflicts... i had very strange issues of not being able to interact with any parts in the editor until i updated this dll.

this mod also contains a firespitter.dll... not sure if this will cause problems, but every other mod i've seen that has firespitter packages it in it's own folder and not inside the file structure of a mod.

You're absolutely right we need to get those issues under control. The plugins were supposed to get their own folder for the last update but it didn't get done (my fault) I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

When i look at the OP picture, I see myself. (Refer to my avatar)

Hey Dave! Have you seen Frank lately?

Edited by YANFRET

How fast are your rockets going into the gravity turn, especially under MechJeb control, if you have it? Cause I've observed in vanilla KSP that when in MechJeb control, since the autopilot focuses on getting onto the trajectory as close as possible without regard for the integrity of the rocket, if you go in too fast, you will flip out.

I do it manually and have had hundreds of successful launches with FAR using other rockets, so it's unlikely to be a problem with piloting. It's more likely related to overpowered (for FAR) thrust.

...for which the suggestion above might be at least a partial solution, thank you good sir, months of using procedural SRBs made me forget this option even exists.

Early in the development process when KSP's joints were less rigid, the Orion assembly included a strut assembly that connected directly from the upper stage tank to the bottom of the capsule inside the fairings. As KSP versions moved on, this seemed not to be needed and they were removed to cut parts count, although as you know we didn't test with FAR. It should be a simple matter to re install the struts and that should fix the issue. I will also increase node sizes up there wherever possible. I agree it's not optimal having so much load put on the Orion SM engine with it's small attach point. I like this kind of testing because it exposes weaknesses in the designs that I had not contemplated and I thank you for the feedback.

With FAR installed I will try to figure out the COL issues as well but that may take slightly longer. There is a growing list of other changes to the pack so expect a release of .27 in the next week or so.

It indeed was. Thats something I need to watch for. More things are entering Duna's atmosphere in the near future!

I would really appreciate operating procedures for all of your crafts, in a .pdf format, or something. Its been a pain and a half to dock the support lander to the super hab on the mun's surface. Is it not supposed to work there? It would also be helpful to have a good idea at what altitude to stop using the retro stage and switch to radial lander engines on things like the super hab and rover.

As always, thanks Yanfret!

It indeed was. Thats something I need to watch for. More things are entering Duna's atmosphere in the near future!

I would really appreciate operating procedures for all of your crafts, in a .pdf format, or something. Its been a pain and a half to dock the support lander to the super hab on the mun's surface. Is it not supposed to work there? It would also be helpful to have a good idea at what altitude to stop using the retro stage and switch to radial lander engines on things like the super hab and rover.

As always, thanks Yanfret!

Most welcome!

You know I do need to get on that documentation. As for retro handoff for the landers, Il run some flight tests and get you numbers for mun and duna, but generally the idea is that the retro stage should do most of the work so You have the option of drifting a bit to the prefered landing site under terminal retro power.

Its possible we need to adjust the dockport location on the support lander, i will do a flight test. It should be easy. Does the Rover Dock okay? If so we need to adjust the support lander to match.

As always great to see the screens!

PS: are the MTV sections easier to dock with the new high power RCS?

EDIT:

EMLV Update

• New textures

• KW Rocketry normal map details on intertanks

• New procedural booster nose cone shape

• Beginning FAR testing

So, at least with the reccomended Chaka flight path (+5 degrees final angle), the first flight test with FAR installed went great. I'm certain when we test Orion the issues reported here will surface and I will implement the structural changes we discussed, but for now at least I can report that with a gradual and early gravity turn all is well. I do see that the center of lift is extremely high for the craft but I'm not sure yet what the cause or practical effects of that are... in fact it seemed to fly just great with FAR (note Orion assembly was not present)

C4UPNO.jpg

UVxfP0.jpg

e41Zlv.jpg

IuVnZ7.jpg

hs4IjX.jpg

EDIT2: Still not happy with the booster nose cone shape, workin on it.

Edited by YANFRET

I actually haven't tried the rover nor the new RCS. I have to admit I have not updated to the newest version of your mod. I plan to update soon-ish and I'll look at the rover and support lander for you. Just so you know, in the Mun's low gravity, I tipped the support lander over a lot a lot before I got it in a straight line to dock properly. At this point, I can't remember what combination of toggled torque, RCS and control point got me docked in the end

I actually haven't tried the rover nor the new RCS. I have to admit I have not updated to the newest version of your mod. I plan to update soon-ish and I'll look at the rover and support lander for you. Just so you know, in the Mun's low gravity, I tipped the support lander over a lot a lot before I got it in a straight line to dock properly. At this point, I can't remember what combination of toggled torque, RCS and control point got me docked in the end

Which support lander? You said, Mun, so I'm assuming the smaller lander?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.