Chaka Monkey - Closed Development Thread

YANFRET

So the rover is, uh, incredibly robust...

This went on for another 2 minutes or so before I wrested control of the craft. Then Jeb fixed the wheels and drove home.

LOL

Well here at Chaka Monkey we take pride in the 5 star crash test rating of the ALCOR Monkey Rover.

That's an awesome video

EDIT: looks like you did loose the antenna :(

Hey, in an emergency like that, we need to have it written somewhere that you should turn SAS back on, obviously a bit of a trick to right click, but it would halt it. Maybe we should add RCS to it...

And here we are:

53T0de.jpg

The ALCOR Monkey Rover Stabilitron 50k Restraint System (AMRSFKRS) ... otherwise described as four RCS ports around the upper structure. That should help keep it pointed in the right direction in case of emergency. Also it's a good idea that we start testing RCS on it now so that we have some possibility of operating it in an RSS/RO environment.

Edited by YANFRET

LOL

Well here at Chaka Monkey we take pride in the 5 star crash test rating of the ALCOR Monkey Rover.

That's an awesome video

EDIT: looks like you did loose the antenna :(

Hey, in an emergency like that, we need to have it written somewhere that you should turn SAS back on, obviously a bit of a trick to right click, but it would halt it. Maybe we should add RCS to it...

And here we are:

http://imageshack.com/a/img907/4172/53T0de.jpg

The ALCOR Monkey Rover Stabilitron 50k Restraint System (AMRSFKRS) ... otherwise described as four RCS ports around the upper structure. That should help keep it pointed in the right direction in case of emergency. Also it's a good idea that we start testing RCS on it now so that we have some possibility of operating it in an RSS/RO environment.

Honestly I think the biggest thing you could do for users is just adding action groups and descriptions to the craft files.

Honestly I think the biggest thing you could do for users is just adding action groups and descriptions to the craft files.

Yeah I agree

Edit:

New MTV NTR tank textures

fF38mo.jpg

kWyJ9a.jpg

These were bugging me for a while and we finally did something to improve them.

Edited by YANFRET

Having an issue none of the observation modules lights work.

Aww man did I forget the light bulbs again? I knew there was something. Actually that was intentional. Maybe I should re explore some ideas there, but the stock light texture was a little too glow stick

Yanfret will never be happy with the MTV NTR textures :P

Someday maybe lol

You made my day a few pages back about the asteroid thing, that's going to be fun. I had a question though about one of the payloads. Im feeling really dumb, but I can't figure out what the exploration module is good for. Is it a station part or more like a mini, engineless MTV? Looking for something to use for crew transfers without assembling a whole MTV vessel.

You made my day a few pages back about the asteroid thing, that's going to be fun. I had a question though about one of the payloads. Im feeling really dumb, but I can't figure out what the exploration module is good for. Is it a station part or more like a mini, engineless MTV? Looking for something to use for crew transfers without assembling a whole MTV vessel.

If you put up to 3000 kn and then dock the proper SLS Block I Orion, you will have enough delta to get pretty far from kerbin. It provides essential facilities for long duration Orion missions, and I do mean facilities (toilet). You can imagine that with the asteroid grabbing part, it's a step in the right direction for asteroid exploration. Asteroid Redirect, however is not a path we will explore with Chaka. We feel that mission profile is a dead end and will get canceled in favor of something else, such as long duration stays in an "exploration habitat"... a deep space mini station similar to what you have there.

I was struggling with it's mass and that led to the revised and smaller version a few pages back with the Delta K upper stage. Then, that led to adding it to a lander to create Minmus Express, which I think is the ideal mission balance.

Once again I am guilty of not providing good documentation with the craft files, and I promise to focus on that for the next update, which should be ready soon assuming we get an update for procedural fairings which are broken in .90 - if it's already been updated as I type this since I checked last night, then great.

EDIT: Another fun idea is to assemble a two piece MTV, jus the drive section and habitat, then delete either the heatshield on the lander or the entire lander depending on your mission profile. That would give substantial exploration endurance short of a full Duna trip.

EDIT: Would you guys like me to create some PDFs with illustrations for each craft file, explaining mission opportunities and operation, or are you looking for just a paragraph or so at the in game description spot?

Edited by YANFRET

If you put up to 3000 kn and then dock the proper SLS Block I Orion, you will have enough delta to get pretty far from kerbin. It provides essential facilities for long duration Orion missions, and I do mean facilities (toilet). You can imagine that with the asteroid grabbing part, it's a step in the right direction for asteroid exploration. Asteroid Redirect, however is not a path we will explore with Chaka. We feel that mission profile is a dead end and will get canceled in favor of something else, such as long duration stays in an "exploration habitat"... a deep space mini station similar to what you have there.

I was struggling with it's mass and that led to the revised and smaller version a few pages back with the Delta K upper stage. Then, that led to adding it to a lander to create Minmus Express, which I think is the ideal mission balance.

Once again I am guilty of not providing good documentation with the craft files, and I promise to focus on that for the next update, which should be ready soon assuming we get an update for procedural fairings which are broken in .90 - if it's already been updated as I type this since I checked last night, then great.

EDIT: Another fun idea is to assemble a two piece MTV, jus the drive section and habitat, then delete either the heatshield on the lander or the entire lander depending on your mission profile. That would give substantial exploration endurance short of a full Duna trip.

EDIT: Would you guys like me to create some PDFs with illustrations for each craft file, explaining mission opportunities and operation, or are you looking for just a paragraph or so at the in game description spot?

PDFs are better, it'll be just like a good old days with Bobcat's Soviet Pack.

That would be cool, I'm doing an ok enough job figuring out how stuff works together, just it never hurts to hear it straight from the designer how things are supposed to function.

As far as asteroids, I was basicly looking for something to haul a big one into orbit and use it as a base for a space station. Dunno why, just felt like something fun to do. I think once I'm done sending stuff to Duna, I'll work on the stuff from RoverDude, and see about using some Chaka modules to make it look more epic. :)

One more thing, about supplies. I don't use any life support stuff aside from Snacks!, but when I looked at the numbers last night, it looked like there wasn't enough supplies in the MTV to last the trip to Duna. It's estimating the supply will last 300 days for 3 kerbals, with the Orion capsule and a cargo pod attached still. Am I doing something wrong?

That would be cool, I'm doing an ok enough job figuring out how stuff works together, just it never hurts to hear it straight from the designer how things are supposed to function.

As far as asteroids, I was basicly looking for something to haul a big one into orbit and use it as a base for a space station. Dunno why, just felt like something fun to do. I think once I'm done sending stuff to Duna, I'll work on the stuff from RoverDude, and see about using some Chaka modules to make it look more epic. :)

One more thing, about supplies. I don't use any life support stuff aside from Snacks!, but when I looked at the numbers last night, it looked like there wasn't enough supplies in the MTV to last the trip to Duna. It's estimating the supply will last 300 days for 3 kerbals, with the Orion capsule and a cargo pod attached still. Am I doing something wrong?

Epic is Chaka's specialty :D

You're not doing anything wrong, we didn't put enough snacks in there.

By the way when I say supplies, I'm not directly speaking to in game resource values (although that's part of it)... I'm really speaking visually. We know Orion does'nt have a toilet. SO, if you want a long duration mission with it, there needs to be some kind of module docked. How big and fancy that module needs to look is the subject of my thinking there.

I would love pdf's. A sort of User's Guide to CMES would be great, with as much or as little monkey humor as you'd like. I think its a great opportunity to tell us how you think each rocket should be used, so we know how it can be used (and then use them completely differently of course). Lifting limits and stuff like that would be really handy!

PDFs are an option. But I personally loathe alt-tabbing out of the game to read a reference document, then going back in. B9 has an "info drive" thingy for having in game documentations that can be accessed at any point before or during flight. I think something akin to that, or even that, would be superior to a PDF

Revised Exploration Habitat

• Less mass, more awesome

HqWWke.jpg

Byp2rm.jpg

1gHtDh.jpg

Don't worry guys, I really am working on your .90 update... just finishing up some descriptions and double checking minimum altitude parameters.

Edited by YANFRET

I've noticed something consistently odd with the lander attached to the MLS Hab craft file. In the VAB it has full power, but when you launch it it only has ~0.4 charge and stays that way throughout it's use. It seems to have no need of power during descent or any of that. Not using any funking mods that would affect that to my knowledge.

I've noticed something consistently odd with the lander attached to the MLS Hab craft file. In the VAB it has full power, but when you launch it it only has ~0.4 charge and stays that way throughout it's use. It seems to have no need of power during descent or any of that. Not using any funking mods that would affect that to my knowledge.

Yeah, initially during its development we ran into some electrical issues, and the quick fix was to hot wire it as you described. We need to go back and fix it properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.