Don't you just hate it when you're searching about legitimate space technologies...

jfull

Nah, its okay, I had my tinfoil hat on, I'm safe.

Sure you are! Nothing beats tinfoil hat :D

And about the topic, I hate it more when I'm trying to talk about space technologies with people and they start telling me all that BS pseudoscience stuff and don't even believe me when I tell the truth about them. Gotta ignore ignorant people, or you would go mad after a while.:mad:

...And you end up in the weird part of youtube full of pseudoscience about anti-gravity and theories about government cover-ups?

anyone else run across any awful pseudoscience lately?

you just have to be more specific with the keywords you type into the search.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. No keywords help. Youtube has become so contaminated with stupid things. Imagine all the kids trying to learn stuff about for example magnets. They will end up watching "magnet motors". Sadly, Youtube doesn't have a good system for reporting these things. They might say it would be too hard to make some order among countless videos, but I don't buy that. They earn enough to employ "cleaners" of that junk.

I remember once I was looking up Chris Hadfield videos on the ISS and there was a video about the moon landing being fake. It all sounded like BS so I went back to watching Chris Hadfield. :) I wonder what people will come up with when the Chinese land a man on the moon. :sticktongue:

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. No keywords help. Youtube has become so contaminated with stupid things. Imagine all the kids trying to learn stuff about for example magnets. They will end up watching "magnet motors". Sadly, Youtube doesn't have a good system for reporting these things. They might say it would be too hard to make some order among countless videos, but I don't buy that. They earn enough to employ "cleaners" of that junk.

The real problem with YouTube is it runs full tilt into Surgeon's Law and there isn't anything to filter it.

I wonder what people will come up with when the Chinese land a man on the moon. :sticktongue:

Presumably there would be a large group of people claiming it was faked. The same would've happened if the Soviets had landed on the moon in the 60s to be honest... especially given the secrecy of both the USSR and China.

Presumably there would be a large group of people claiming it was faked. The same would've happened if the Soviets had landed on the moon in the 60s to be honest... especially given the secrecy of both the USSR and China.
The same also happened with the American landings and there wasn't too much secrecy.

Do you have any idea just how many videos they'd have to wade through? There's hundreds of millions of them. And besides from a business point of view there really isn't any reason for them to do it since they get their income from commercials. The more videos they have to show, the more time people spend on their site, the more they earn.

The only reason why they filter the content for copyright infringements is because it would be more expensive not to.

Sure you are! Nothing beats tinfoil hat :D

And about the topic, I hate it more when I'm trying to talk about space technologies with people and they start telling me all that BS pseudoscience stuff and don't even believe me when I tell the truth about them. Gotta ignore ignorant people, or you would go mad after a while.:mad:

Best one is that lightspeed is a true limit. They have watched decades of Star Trek, so it's near impossible to convince them that reality is different to fiction. :(

Some countries exaggerate their accomplishments (we launched a station, checks radar, it's a small 5cm by 5cm satellite :P ), but "faking" an entire mission, no. I wonder if that was the problem with China's first EVA. They exaggerated all the accomplishments so much, people did not realize what was going on when they saw it for real. Such as, I think a lot if the "errors" in judgement over the video have to do with it being at such a low orbit it looks different to EVAs such as on the ISS. Or just the paint flaking off due to it's own out-gassing.

Edited by Technical Ben

You know the worst part of pseuoscience? Typical Sci-Fi is often more believable. Because Sci-Fi takes something unproven or unachievable and tries to build legitimate alternative physics around it (and some directions of real physics also do something like that, they just have better mathematical proof), while with these pseudoscientists... most of the time school-level physics knowledge is enough to say "I see which part of the equation you forgot. Unless you can give any theory about this issue (what? you never thought about it?) you idea is a complete bull****"

And conspiracy theorists are rather strange people: "It's not provable (because we know that all the proof could been and that means was faked) therefore it's fake" - "And how provable is your version?" - "We have even less proof, but that's because of all their faking"

Do you have any idea just how many videos they'd have to wade through? There's hundreds of millions of them. And besides from a business point of view there really isn't any reason for them to do it since they get their income from commercials. The more videos they have to show, the more time people spend on their site, the more they earn.

The only reason why they filter the content for copyright infringements is because it would be more expensive not to.

No, there aren't. Most of the content on Youtube is personal stuff, funny stuff. There aren't "hundreds of millions" of BS videos there. Hundreds of millions was probably the number of all videos uploaded to Youtube few years ago.

I'm not advocating for the deletion of these videos (though it would be cool). Just to tweak the system to filter it out, at least some of it.

It really could be done and it's a piece of cake for a company such as Google.

As for the economy of it all, it has a longterm potential and Google cares about longterm profit. That's why they've turned into what they are now. :sealed:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.