0.23 PartTools

Mu.

yes, it works, but if you are going to use unity 5, be careful, mecanim and unity 5's standard shader is not supported

Yeah, I saw someone recommending 4.22 for KSP, so I think I will go with that instead since KSP is all I plan to use Unity for anyway.

Is there much of a downside to that?

meh i'm using it in unity 5 you just need to use ksp's shaders and legacy animation and then you are safe, no reason to go back on unity version, but if you are going to use unity only for KSP, then it's not a bad idea to use 4.x because 5 is changed a bit and the video tutorials you will find may won't make sense specially for materials and animation stuffs, there won't be any down sides for you at all.

Edited by Jiraiyah

Biggest upside of using 4.2.2 is emissive animation for glowing bits on engines, lights, etc. newer versions of Unity require Animator+Animation Controller to key material properties where KSP and PartTools 0.23 only supports the legacy animation system using Animation component. Aside from that, there're no serious drawbacks in using Unity 5. the x64 editor should be great if you are editing IVAs with large amount of props. Some very old scripts may be problematic and Unity might complain about outdated code, but they will probably still work.

nli2work, i think you can still add the animation component on objects to use legacy animations for those things you mentioned, but honestly, i'm new to modding ksp so you may know better

also, mu, can i look into the source with dotpeek and do you give me permission to try and reuse your exporting code for making a new tool with the ideas i had in mind? at least i can give it a try myself

nli2work, i think you can still add the animation component on objects to use legacy animations for those things you mentioned, but honestly, i'm new to modding ksp so you may know better

also, mu, can i look into the source with dotpeek and do you give me permission to try and reuse your exporting code for making a new tool with the ideas i had in mind? at least i can give it a try myself

Legacy system still works pretty well in Unity 5 for most things, you can definitely use it for 99% of things you might want to animate on a KSP part. The only exception being the material properties bug, the properties are grayed out; though you might be able to add key frames, but they won't animate when you enter play mode. It has been a long standing issue since Unity 4.2.3 and Unity has stated they are not going to fix it as the Legacy animation system is "no longer being supported".

We can hope an updated PartTools will be available after 1.0 is released, and Squad can turn their attention to Unity 5 for KSP.

Edited by nli2work

I spoke to Mu on IRC, and while he didn't say anything with regards to if/when there will be a new PartTools package, my understanding is that a DDS export option won't be available for PartTools, because DDS is a proprietary format from Microsoft.

Besides, even Lilleman's KSP to DDS texture converter requires you to manually and separately install the DirectX components from Microsoft containing the necessary codecs.

Thanks for the link sarbian, appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry to be "that guy" but any chance you also have a link to .20? Didn't realize you had to have it first.

You don't need it. Just put the Part Tools folder inside your Unity Assets folder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.