[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

best place to ask about infernal robotics rework and joint control using action groups and/or kos ? ....

After watching the "Atlhete" legged robot of the IR rework video (Amazing by the way!!, amazing job guys!, I love it!), I'm doing some experiments with a spider, if I'm able to fix the swinging issues I can share the .craft file. Currently is able to move using the alternate tripod gait method alternating prev/next preset in groups with action keys....can of a mess to set!...and is of course very limited, next idea was to use kOS of course, but from a kos script I can't see any way to call to a specif position, just next/prev presets, basically the same as with action groups, perhaps a little more fluid if I made a good program, so not sure what will be the benefit using kos...

Any way to call to a specific joint position from kos?

I was thinking to kind of trick to rich a specific position controlling how many time to call to next or prev preset, or even use some form of stop (lock maybe?) in between the calls to kind of "skip" the unwanted presets...probably very bad idea....Other perhaps is to set a LOT of preset, actually one per minimum amount of wanted movement (let say 10º), so for instance define presets from -90 to 90 in 10 increments -90, -80, -70....60, 80, 90...and then call in loops to next or previous presets as wanted...mmm, not sure...

Any suggestions?

^ The one in the vid was operated with action groups and joint limits, not even the next/previous position, and an external script firing in key-presses at quite a high precision. I haven't really tried the new KOS and IR, I'm not sure you'll be able to stack up a load of small "next presets" or have to wait until each completes before sending the next. Before accel/deceleration you could read the position field with KOS and stop when the desired angle was reached, having no accel/decel brings issues with the wobbliness of an immediate dead stop though. Have you looked at the IR Sequencer? You might find it a bit easier to get moving using that :)

^ The one in the vid was operated with action groups and joint limits, not even the next/previous position, and an external script firing in key-presses at quite a high precision. I haven't really tried the new KOS and IR, I'm not sure you'll be able to stack up a load of small "next presets" or have to wait until each completes before sending the next. Before accel/deceleration you could read the position field with KOS and stop when the desired angle was reached, having no accel/decel brings issues with the wobbliness of an immediate dead stop though. Have you looked at the IR Sequencer? You might find it a bit easier to get moving using that :)

Great! never hear about IR Sequencer!!, I think is the right solution!..

• 2 weeks later...
Zodius come back!

I've not abandoned this, just been very busy with my PhD work, since I'm now entering the final year and still have an awful lot to do (who would have thought making modular transforming robots would be so hard :P )

Anyway, I needed a break today so decided to finish modelling the reworked adjustable rail (slidertron) I showed a while back. Here's how it previously looked. Here's how it now looks:

_61c94737b8ec4a30bc558bee3c0fcc21

I'm happy with this, and as the image shows they can be stacked easily. There's a few other parts I'd like to make that use the same profile but I've got to give them a bit more thought.

Anyway, I'll return to lurking mode now :P

hey there,

i installed windows 10 the other day - since getting back on kerbal your reworked parts don't show any textures (see the picture)..there is nothing different with the system/kerbal install other than windows 10. it is only these parts packs, other mods/packs are fine.

image @ http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/431571327801113991/C8ACFE0B394A2E0DDB3E557B37149BB8C6272131/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to=*,*|1024:576&background-color=black

hope you can help, i have tried resintalling the mod via ckan with no change.

thanks

casper

Edited by casper88

hey there,

i installed windows 10 the other day - since getting back on kerbal your reworked parts don't show any textures (see the picture)..there is nothing different with the system/kerbal install other than windows 10. it is only these parts packs, other mods/packs are fine.

image @ http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/431571327801113991/C8ACFE0B394A2E0DDB3E557B37149BB8C6272131/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to=*,*|1024:576&background-color=black

hope you can help, i have tried resintalling the mod via ckan with no change.

thanks

casper

its a conflict with Active Texture Management. You'll need to either remove ATM of just direct it around IR rework. There is more info in the OP about "black textures"

They aren't working at the moment i believe.

- - - Updated - - -

From the OP : Note: This pack has yet to be updated to KSP 1.0 due to additional dependencies needing updating. As such RoboStruts and the Utilitron Sampler will not work. Movatrons should be unaffected.

So I'm probably missing something silly, but when I start to construct an arm I am unable to then take pieces off. It becomes one large single piece. If I'd like to change something I have to scrap the entire thing.

Sorry ahead of time is this is not an issue but user error.

i have a bug with this and the nuclear power mod from nertea, what happens is that , when i extend the radiators, the thermal control system(medium) on the flat 3.75m reactor, 4 parts over heat, 2 z400 batterys attatched via offset adaptotron to a vessel, and 2 solar 1x2 trusses. its only these parts, and i cant for the life of me find out whats causing it. extending 1 radiator, its alright. but a bit after i extend them all, they all combust, at the same time. i have IR robotics updated to latest version FAR aerospace to haack version, and im using IR rework parts.

There's two classes of struts, one that's the stock strut and decoupler in one, the other that is reusable in flight. It's the latter that doesn't work in the current KSP.

I have to confirm that this is the only part I have found in the entire rework pack that doesn't work correctly. Robo Struts can still be placed in the VAB/SPH but can't be interacted with in flight. It's kind of a big deal since I rely heavily on Robo Struts when docking ships together with smaller docking ports. In fact I never used the Clamp-o-tron Jr. until I got Robo Struts. Now, I'm afraid to Focus view on half my ships cause the struts aren't working and I'm afraid they will fly apart.

Zodius,

If you get time to look into this one issue that would be super duper awesome squassom of you. I just brought my newborn baby girl home from the hospital so I know the kind of curve balls life can through at you. I'll just keep my fingers crossed it's a simple fix you can swing over a weekend. Thanks for all your great work.

-A.A.

I think Ziw was working on robostruts at one time but may have had to set it aside. In the meanwhile you can use quantum struts continued for toggleable struts.
I have to confirm that this is the only part I have found in the entire rework pack that doesn't work correctly. Robo Struts can still be placed in the VAB/SPH but can't be interacted with in flight. It's kind of a big deal since I rely heavily on Robo Struts when docking ships together with smaller docking ports. In fact I never used the Clamp-o-tron Jr. until I got Robo Struts. Now, I'm afraid to Focus view on half my ships cause the struts aren't working and I'm afraid they will fly apart.

Zodius,

If you get time to look into this one issue that would be super duper awesome squassom of you. I just brought my newborn baby girl home from the hospital so I know the kind of curve balls life can through at you. I'll just keep my fingers crossed it's a simple fix you can swing over a weekend. Thanks for all your great work.

-A.A.

Actually Zodious is now the caretaker of Robostruts. And Robostruts is now under the umbrella of IR. The dependencies for Robostruts have not been officially updated and Zodious has been on a bit of a much needed break. Like Tarheel suggested Quantum struts does the same thing albeit in a less cool looking fashion (But quantum struts has a "strut gun" which is very good alternative for now)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.