[WIP] MSI's Infernal Robotics - Model Rework (v02 Pre-Release Beta)

ZodiusInfuser

Well, since you asked nicely: IR Half Extendatrons - Alpha.zip

--------------------------------------------------

In addition to the half extendatrons I had a go at modelling a suspension foot part to go with them. This has been something on my mind for a while after seeing pictures of some seriously big mobile cranes, but could be useful for adjustable landing gear setups too:

_47f7609788134987b519f178b0dcfa66

If it's not clear from the picture, the part is attached to a half extendatron basic in the same way as stackable extendatrons are. The plan is for me to make it actually feature suspension, unlike my previous landing foot part, so ironically may actually be better at landing on :P

Small suggestion - truck hitch. Would be awesome to have rovers with trailers, Martian-style.

a truck hitch was developed for the long time by lo-fi, creator of Kerbal Foundries wheels/tracks. This thing was super-hard to code without stuff breaking under time acceleration etc. In the end it wasn't released. You can check demo and development thread for details.

Another part on the list of things nobody has asked for :P, an in-line bearing!

If you're not familiar with the concept you can check out this old mod thread from me and Sirkut: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84566-WIP-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Station-Parts-(Infernal-Robotics-required)

Here's a crazy example I made with a free spinning one and the some updated uncontrolled pivotrons: http://gfycat.com/LateNaturalFantail

If anyone is interested in testing these parts out and providing feedback, you can download both the bearing parts and U-pivotrons from: IR Bearings & Uncontrolled Pivotrons - Alpha.zip

Also, as a reminder, there's packs for the half extendatrons and mecanum wheels that I would appreciate some playtesting of:

- http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-%2828-04-2015%29-On-Hiatus?p=2248061&viewfull=1#post2248061

- http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65365-WIP-MSI-s-Infernal-Robotics-Model-Rework-%2828-04-2015%29-On-Hiatus?p=2246295&viewfull=1#post2246295

Edit: Turns out these bearing make helicopters extremely easy to build and fly! :D

_2b588b95b7d549408a3fa45652ef5364

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Hey there Zodius, I dont want to sound impatient, just curious if/when movatrons will be back?

I had an awesome foldable rover (based on your video, however manned). It worked perfect for all interplanetary and mun, etc, missions. I would love to recreate it again!

Hey there Zodius, I dont want to sound impatient, just curious if/when movatrons will be back?

I had an awesome foldable rover (based on your video, however manned). It worked perfect for all interplanetary and mun, etc, missions. I would love to recreate it again!

The movatrons in the Utility pack have worked fine in KSP 1.0.4. You just need to copy them over and remove the other parts of the download which won't work (e.g. struts). I am working towards updating all my packs though, but this could be a few weeks.

Is there somewhere a full list of what does / doesn't work with 1.0.4? Checked the last ~6 pages but didn't see anything

You'd need to look 30+ pages back to find it. From memory though the Movatrons, Robostrut Lite and Pro, Magnet, and Landing Foot work.

The things I have to update are the Grasper (needs a CFG change), the other Robostruts (need a new DLL and License) and Surface Sampler (kinda works but need a new DLL anyway). All of these changes I've got locally but need to spent time finalising them. This will be the next pack I do after updating the core pack (which needs all its collision meshes fixing).

The movatrons in the Utility pack have worked fine in KSP 1.0.4. You just need to copy them over and remove the other parts of the download which won't work (e.g. struts). I am working towards updating all my packs though, but this could be a few weeks.

Rad! So I simply go to the older .90 utility and just copy over the movatron parts?

Thanks for your help!!!

Also, just for clarity, will it work if I subsequently go into the Game data folder (in the utility pack) and simply delete the "struts" folder, leaving the "Misc" and "wheels" folder, then merge "game folder" into the KSP directory as normal?

(My lingo may be off, im not entirely computer savvy.)

Edited by Jwmflying14

Rad! So I simply go to the older .90 utility and just copy over the movatron parts?

Thanks for your help!!!

Also, just for clarity, will it work if I subsequently go into the Game data folder (in the utility pack) and simply delete the "struts" folder, leaving the "Misc" and "wheels" folder, then merge "game folder" into the KSP directory as normal?

(My lingo may be off, im not entirely computer savvy.)

Yea, you've got it! Although also go in to the misc folder and remove the grasper and surface sampler as they don't work either.

WHEEE, centrifugal catapult! :D

It spawned from an idea that I had for the frisbee throwing challenge, but I forgot that it was stock only parts, so I just continued it for fun anyway. I tried to make one with the bearing rotatron as the main rotating part, but it kept getting eaten by the kraken as soon as it started picking up appreciable RPM. The two hubs that I had on either side at the time probably didn't help much, but anyway, it holds just fine using some other part as the central rotating part.

testity_screenshot_2015-10-18--13-28-57_zpss2ocbuhr.png

testity_screenshot_2015-10-18--13-29-05_zpslmeub7gy.png

testity_screenshot_2015-10-18--13-29-02_zpspktlmmot.png

Yea, you've got it! Although also go in to the misc folder and remove the grasper and surface sampler as they don't work either.

Thanks a ton man! Excellent response times. I had already done what I had asked before you responded, so the sampler is still there, etc.... Do they just not show up, completely not work, or what? Just making sure I dont cause a crash on a 3 day mission or anything if I were to (try to) use them (and forget to remove them later on).

• 2 weeks later...

Nice updates!

Speaking of rotating parts, the big bearings are exactly what I needed for the next generation of roflcopters and rotary winged rockets :D

The current rotatrons will take up to 20 tons of shaft force before starting to bend and flex. Bigger bearings = bigger helicopters!

Hi Gamerscircle! Nice to see you on the forum.

All the parts are in the tech tree. Did you download all the packs? Given you're using CKAN I suspect you only grabbed the Core pack. The wheels and foot are in the Utility pack (https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/677/Infernal%20Robotics%20Model%20Rework%20-%20Utility%20Pack). Note that this pack hasn't been updated to KSP 1.0 yet, but the wheels and foot work fine if you manually copy them over.

The other parts for the walker are in the Expansion pack (https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/676/Infernal%20Robotics%20Model%20Rework%20-%20Expansion%20Pack)

As for getting the feet from the walker working, you'll need to ask Darren9 for specific details. From what I know though he used the Kerbal Operating System to synchronise the leg movement. If that's not your think you could give the IR Sequencer a go instead (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116076-1-0-4-IR-Sequencer-v0-4-Add-On-to-Infernal-Robotics-(updated-10-07-2015)).

I may have said I'd do this a while ago :blush: Well it's here now, and in time for 1.0.5! It's a basic version of the six leg lander (just the legs) with IR sequencer included to get it moving for anyone who wants to see how it worked. Not quite as smooth as the original but that was controlled with an external script and the sequencer has slightly different functions, it is the same motion though. Would you believe I could of really done with those half length extendatrons a while back :)

http://kerbalx.com/6-Leg-Walker

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I may have said I'd do this a while ago :blush: Well it's here now, and in time for 1.0.5! It's a basic version of the six leg lander (just the legs) with IR sequencer included to get it moving for anyone who wants to see how it worked. Not quite as smooth as the original but that was controlled with an external script and the sequencer has slightly different functions, it is the same motion though. Would you believe I could of really done with those half length extendatrons a while back :)

http://kerbalx.com/6-Leg-Walker

http://imgur.com/a/c3tLD

Sweet! If you're ok with it, I'd like to add that to an example crafts pack I've been working on and off with. I already has a few helicopters from Pandoras Kitten for instance.

^ I think that was why you asked me a few months back so yes, there could be another with a bit more control before you do an update - that was the first time I used it. Thanks V8jester, something more ambitious may be possible if KSP 1.1 has 64-bit and a good performance boost :)

I'm getting the problem of tweakscale bar being 100% transparent and, obviously, unusable. Latest tweakscale, latest IR, IR rework parts. What's the problem? I remember having smae problem a year ago, don't remember how it was solved.

P.S. How to get IR sequencer? My install seems to have no such thing.

I'm getting the problem of tweakscale bar being 100% transparent and, obviously, unusable. Latest tweakscale, latest IR, IR rework parts. What's the problem? I remember having smae problem a year ago, don't remember how it was solved.

I'm not sure about this. Never encountered it myself

P.S. How to get IR sequencer? My install seems to have no such thing.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116076-1-0-4-IR-Sequencer-v0-4-Add-On-to-Infernal-Robotics-(updated-10-07-2015)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.